Trip report-London and Do's and Don'ts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I am back from my trip and will post a trip report soon!

Just as a reminder, I just graduated from graduate school and got to go to London- my dream trip!! After slaving away for 6 years-finishing my Bachelors and Masters back to back- this trip was definitely needed!

I had the best week of my life!! London was awesome!

I had read mixed reviews on my hotel- the Strand Palace and was worrried, but it was wonderful! I had a great room and a nice time at the hotel! I would stay there again! Do not worry about this hotel at all!!!

Ok, I will post my do's and don'ts before my trip report. I will get to that soon!

Take care everyone and have a wonderful time on your trips!

PW
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Do?s and Don?ts

London:

Do:

Grab twist ties for the zippers on your purse or back back- cheaper than a lock system

Pack with ziplock bags and bring the extra- u will find a use for them

Wear whatever you want- I was shocked to see how many people were concerned with their dress selections int his forum, London is like every place else- it is no big deal!

Purchase a lot of Mole Skin before you go and pack it in ziplock bags or in a small first aid kit! Saved my life. I had never heard of it until I came to this forum and it saved me big time!

Pack a washcloth or whatever bathing do-hickey you use, cus you won?t get one at the hotel most likely!

Definitely take some time to get lost on your own- you will find tons of stuff that way!

Definitely keep an eye on St. Martins in the Fields Church (Trafalgar Square)- they have tons of concerts during the week and it was fabulous! Relatively cheap!!! Aim for the 7 pound tickets- you?ll be along the sides but if you sit toward the front, you will be somewhat behind the performers ? but you will have great seats for a cheap price!!!

If you are on a budget- London is doable- just be smart about it. I tried exotic foods while I was there and did so on a budget- convenience stores have tons of bread selections and different cheeses- I stocked up for two nights- even tried some great funky juice drinks- all for under 5 pounds a day!!

Definitely hit the convenience stores and supermarkets for your tea, cookies, potato chips, candy, and munchable selections to bring home to sample- way cheaper than the stores geared toward food specialties.

You cannot bring spreadable cheeses and meats home with you- so don?t even try to buy them unless you are gonna eat them while you are there.

The Tube is fabulous- clean and easy to use!! The people that work there were helpful when I had questions, but for the most part do not be afraid to use it at all. I was worried, cus I was traveling alone and it was my first time ever- anywhere really- but it was just like any other major city?s mass transport- no big deal! I loved it!!! Saved my feet a few times!!!

Do try various forums for hotel or flight advice, cus people can be misleading and cause unnecessary headaches!!

Get out of the way!! By this I mean, if you are traveling in a group and exit a store and come out to wait for the rest of your party do not hog the sidewalk- I dunno what it was but the only people blocking the side walks seemed to be Americans. Oh and don?t walk four and five across blocking the sidewalk- people have places to go and there?s nothing worse than seeing your fellow Americans being oblivious and obnoxious! Get out of the way!

If you?re traveling with a stroller- have a plan on how to navigate the tube steps before you reach the top of the stairs causing a huge backup whilst you decide what you?re gonna do?.another weird American trait I saw there.

For the ladies, whilst in Covent Garden and attacking the Lush store- be forewarned that it is a small store and rather cramped, beware of your surroundings!! Clutch your purse like never before. I think I avoided a bad situation when I caught this guy a little too close for comfort inside Lush- my guard was down cus I was in line to make my purchases- inside a store- but pickpockets don?t care- so be on point!!!

If you have allergies and or asthma- you may have to visit Lush in spirts- its deadly in there with all the different scents!

Covent Garden was great- stop and check out the street performers- some of them are really good. I recommend one guy I watched on two occasions, Brian Bruno?great voice! He even has his CD?s on sale while playing- loved em. I bought two to remind me of the trip!

Take the open top bus tours at least once- I took the London Sightseeing tour. It was great. The guides knew tons of history and interesting things. They welcome questions so don?t be afraid to ask. The other tour called the Big Bus Tour has tons more buses and seemed to do more business, but the tour I went on seemed better cus it was less crowded?..either will do, depending on what you want.

DO NOT USE HOTEL LINK for your travel to and from the airport!!!! DO NOT!! I scheduled my trip with a travel agent and got my transfers through them. They used hotel link?on my way home, I went to Gatwick using Hotel Link and was cramped into a tiny van with about 8 other passengers- all of us had some serious luggage which took up seats in the van, thus making us squeeze together for the trip to Gatwick! I was given the wrong pick up time by my travel agent and when I called to confirm I got a pick up time an hour before the one I was told. We traveled from hotel to hotel picking up other passengers- took about an hour in all grabbing everyone?.it was not a fun experience. It didn?t kill me, but when you just want to get to the airport, I think there must be a better way!

I am going back again soon for another trip. I will probably not use a travel agent, perhaps I will for my hotel arrangements, but the flight stuff I now feel confident I can do on my own.

Definitely do the walk up the stairs in St. Paul?s Cathedral. A guide talked me into it and I thanked him when I came back down! Beautiful! Yes, as everyone has mentioned there are scaffolds up and a lot of the view is restricted now, but it was wonderful! The steps are manageable! I just had knee surgery awhile ago and was worried, but the steps are not steep at all and as you travel upward, you will forget you are climbing at all!

Becareful on the way down, you will go fast and may become dizzy!

Do not be surprised if people continue to jump on already crowded elevators. I was always accustomed to letting full cars go on without me, but it was kinda funny cus people will jam themselves onto packed elevators- so prepare to be squished!

Get used to being called love and dear, by everyone you encounter

Oh and another thing about Lush- overstock up! It goes fast and you will be ticked cus you didn?t stock up!

I am sure I will think of more but I will include them in my trip report!

Pack bubble wrap!! I got a lot of it fromt he dollarstore before I left, it weighs nothing and you will need it!!!

Oh and avoid Newark Airport;-)

Cheers,

PW
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 11:26 AM
ira

Hi wonk,

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Look forward to your report.
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 12:36 PM

My first trip to London was after college, too, and it was a lifelong dream come true. I had a fabulous time and have been back many times since.

I have stayed at the Strand Palace 3 times. The rooms are small, but for me the location more than makes up for it. I'm glad you had a wonderful trip.
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 02:43 PM

Great!! I loved being called love and ducky
why avoid Newark Airport?
You made me 'homesick' for London
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi!

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes. I came home thinking I would change my job search to London instead of Washington, DC. I loved it that much!!

Well Scarlett in answer to your question, Newark was such a hassle and the people were not very friendly!

On the way to the UK I had a layover at Newark and did not have to get my luggage and go through customs again, on the way back I had to get my luggage and go through customs again. The airport is so large and the signs are very misleading! You can easily go through the wrong corridors. If not for the young man yelling directions at me nearly having an aneurism, I would have ended up in Timbuk Tu!

From my travels as a youth, I remember an easier time in large airports, Newark was just ridiculous!

Oh and I forgot another tip, put a fragile label on your suitcase even if it contains nothing fragile. The way they handle luggage is ridiculous! I almost fainted when I watched the guy toss my suitcase on the conveyor belt. I was like dude, watch it. There is glass in there! He apologized and said he didn't know and to put a fragile sticker on it next time....whatever!!

My advice would be go to Newark if you have a lot of patience and a lot of time on your hands,or your completely drugged out and don't care, cus you will end up lost.

As for the Strand Palace, I really did enjoy it there. I stayed in Manchester before I hit London- I was in the Comfort Inn- now that was a small room. My friend stayed with me, and you could not fit two people around the bed and in between the desk at the same time- that was small. The Strand Palace was like an oasis compared to the Comfort Inn!!! I had a single room and yes, it was small but there was room for me to dance around the room like a drugged out cheerleader when I celebrated my arrival in London!

I have been talking about London since I was a kid and getting there was just amazing. I was in a dream like state the whole time!!

I called my friend in manchester before I left to come home and I said I am coming back before the end of the year. He said when? I said I think December, he said oh, I was thinking more like September hehe, I said well hows next weekend! I loved it loved it loved it!!

Sorry to make you homesick- but...you have one heck of a hometown!

PW
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 05:21 PM

Well, that was a bummer! We go in and out of Newark all the time, I guess I am used to it and don't notice now
Good tip about the Fragile sticker, think we should stick them on ourselves too? they might be a little more kind and gentle at Customs
I am so glad you got to take this trip,especially when it is at the end of long and arduous years of study! Congratulations on Graduation!!!
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 06:17 PM

Hey policy, you never go through customs leaving a country only entering. You went through customs getting into the Uk and on your return you went through customs to get into the US. It's standard to have to retrieve your checked bags at your point of entry to a country and go through customs.

Sorry you had a bad time at Newark, I flew through there in May to France and didn't have any problems. Guess I was lucky.
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

Here's my trip report:

Day 1:

I left Rochester, NY for Newark airport for a couple hours? layover. I flew on Continental Express Jet- very small and a bit stuffy- so if you don?t like tight spaces, this is not the airline for you. I had decided before I left, I was not going to be my usual cranky self- I would not complain about anything, so, I enjoyed my tight flight!

I felt like a little kid! I was so giddy, as we flew over Newark, I had an aisle seat and I looked out the window and the poor girl next to me must have thought I was on drugs, cus I looked at her and I said oh my God, is that the ocean? Like I had never seen water before, and she smiled and said yes- she had the look on her face like she wanted to say ?duh!? I think my excitement changed her attitude though.

Anyway, I boarded my flight for Manchester, UK. It was a delightful flight! I flew on Continental, again I had aisle seat. I chose it because I have a bad knee- it worked out great cus I could stretch my leg out in the aisle.

The flight was fabulous and the service was great! I recommend Continental! They passed out world newspapers and I had a blast! They kept the drinks coming the entire flight. I had planned on taking my sleeping pill and knocking myself out- but I was so excited, I stayed awake!

I arrived in Manchester at 8 AM, and luckily I walked fast enough to get to Customs, just as another huge flight arrived, and I managed to be in the front of the line. I was happy!

I went to find the taxi queue, as I was standing there I realized I did not have any British currency! DUH! I went back into the airport to locate the atm- it happened to be an HSBC- my bank! Woohoo!! Saved on some serious atm charges!

I got a taxi and went to my hotel- the Comfort Inn in Manchester. It was just outside of the City Center. The hotel was a little on the cheap side and looked it, although they tried to cover it up with some pseudo 60?s retro, art deco furniture and décor. It was kinda humorous! I arrived and said you have a reservations for Smith- the guy said Mr. Smith has already arrived. (I was thinking there is no Mr. Smith!) My friend was meeting me at the hotel, apparently he checked in for me- I don?t know what that was about. So I got the room number and went down the hall to the room.

I knocked on the door and greeted him by saying hello Mr. SmithJ

Anyway, we had a lovely time. No need to cover that in this report;-)

Fast forward two days later and I went to the train station in Manchester and caught my train to London. The train station was easy to get around and I found my train with out any problems.

I got on my train and put my luggage in the small compartment for larger luggage. I was worried before I got to the UK - because I was not sure how I would store my luggage. I bought a lock with a cable to tie it to something, but that was not necessary. I was w/in eye distance of my luggage the whole time. Not to mention if someone tried to take it, he would have gotten a hernia trying to lift it. I really did pack light, but between all the gifts I got from my friend and I dunno what, my bag was kinda heavy. Oh well. No big deal. It worked out ok.

The train ride from Manchester to London Euston was about 2 hours. We made a few stops and I was playing tourist- snapping pics from the train- they came out very well!! I got to see a lot of the countryside as well! Cows as big as my car and the hugest sheep I have ever seen! It was fantastic!

Made it into London. The train station was large and had tons of shops! You have to pay to use the restrooms and if you need a taxi- make your way downstairs to the taxi area. I found that out the hard way- I walked outside and around the station- I saw a small army of taxis coming out of an underground garage type area- that was my tip
off I had to go downstairs inside the train station?.again , another duh moment for me on my trip.

I was sweating like crazy- the temps were not that high, but I was sweating like crazy! I got my taxi, I think I must have been called love 20 times in that short taxi ride!J I just smiled. I loved it.

We turned the corner and BAM right in front of me was the famous Savoy hotel- across the street from my hotel. By the way the Savoy entrance is the only street in the UK where you can drive on the right side of the road like in the US- learned that bit of trivia while on my bus tourJ

Anyway, I got into my hotel and in the hall the maid was cleaning another room and there was a fan on the floor. I went out to steal itJ But she came out, so I asked if I could have it, she picked it up and brought it in for me?very nice of her.

I ran out to grab something to drink- juice!! Showered and then danced around the room cus I was finally in London! Woohoo!!!

I was exhausted so I laid down and I thought, I am in London, I can?t just lay here, So I got up and started walking toward Trafalgar Square?.on my way there I found the internet café, I went in and it was very easy to use. I emailed everyone that I made it safely. Got a few responses while I was there and spoke to folks back home.

I walked about a half a block and there it was, Trafalgar Square!! Unreal! I snapped pics and walked around with my mouth hanging open. My mom had joked about me getting there and having a Mary Tyler Moore moment ? you know when she walks around and throws her beret up in the air. I thought about that and just laughed to myself.
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

I walked down the street- I didn?t know where I was going, I was just walking. I left my map in the hotel, but?.. I found some mall area and I saw people walking through, so I followed them. I saw a couple of funky guards, so I snapped some pics, and then I saw a war memorial of some sort, snapped another pic, and then walked over to the nearby park- which I later found out was St. James Park. Lovely birds, exotic looking ones, I snapped pics, scenic views, a huge pond with lots of Willow trees, more pics. I looked to my left and the War Cabinet Rooms were there. I walked further and discovered Parliament. Freaked me out! Then I saw Big Ben! This was really freaking me out because it was all unplanned!! Across the street from parliament there is a one man anti-war demonstration. Poor thing was yelling into a microphone. I didn?t know who to feel worse for, the guards at Parliament who had to listen to him all day or the guy himself. I stayed and listened for a moment, snapped a pic and continued to walk by Parliament. Snapped pics, and then headed to the bridge to get a better look at Big Ben- out of no where it started chiming, I was flipping out! (Guess you can see I am easily amused)

I stayed on the bridge and looked at the Thames and was absorbing the atmosphere.

I went back up the street and walked past Scotland Yard- again I was freaking out- I was a criminal justice major undergrad- so that was a thrill!

I went back up to Trafalgar Square and walked back to the hotel. I dined on some of the delicacies my friend brought for me. He told me London would be expensive, so he brought tons of food for me. Bless his heart! It definitely helped!

Day 2

I got up early for breakfast- I never eat breakfast at home, but, I figured being on a budget, it might be a good idea. I had a free continental breakfast and dined on Danish and jams, I tried different ones than I usually eat. Black Currant is now one of my faves. I am a vegetarian, so a lot of the breakfast selections were not for me, meats etc, but I managed to eat well during my stay.

On the way to breakfast the elevator stopped on my floor and another girl and I were waiting, the elevator was packed and the girl jumped on. I laughed to myself and told them Id wait for the next one. This nice elderly American man held the door and said hop on there?s room. I said no that?s ok go ahead, he said no we are not leaving til you get on. Everyone laughed- I hopped one?.it was a tight fit, but he was so kind

Anyway, I left the hotel and went to find out where I could catch the bus tour. I walked up the road about 2 blocks and waited. I finally got on my bus and sat up top, the uncovered portion of the bus. Off we went. What a day I had- I saw everything there was to see, took tons of pics and learned tons of history!

When we got to Downing Street, we had the added bonus of having a huge motorcade and cops rolling up on motorcycles to block the road. Our bus stayed to watch and see who got out of the Mercedes and Bentley?s- even the tour guide was tickled when that happened- some Sheiks or something got out of the cars and we yelled and waved and snapped pics. We didn?t know who they were, but we were all impressed!
The best part of the tour, for me was seeing St. Pauls, I dunno what it was but when we came upon it I burst out crying. Must have been PMS or something but it was just so beautiful!! It was amazing!

Anyway, I got onto another bus to do another part of the tour and the new tour guide was just as good as the first- really into his job! Both guides were and they were great with the questions! ( Oh my bus tour was called the Original Bus Tour- I couldn?t remember the name before. The one I described as crowded was the Big Bus Tour- a lot more buses operating than my tour, but?.I got my money?s worth!)

I went back to the hotel and changed, and went toward Trafalgar Square again, I went to the National Portrait gallery and about 5 minutes later they announced they were closing! Bummer. On the way out I was given a flyer about a candlelight baroque music concert at St. Martins in the Field Church- which was across the street.

I went back to the hotel, thinking I would be in for the night, and then I thought about going to the concert- I never got to do stuff like that at home, so I decided to go. I had 10 mins to change and get back down the street. So, I made it there during the first song and I had to wait. I spent my time downstairs in the lovely gift shop.

I got my seat and had a wonderful time. The church is beautiful. It is historical, Handel used to play there!

I walked back up the street and stopped and got a baggette and some cheese, some Danish cheese, I had never tried before and a unique cactus and lemon drink that was wonderful! That was dinner!!! Delicious!!

The next day I walked to Covent Garden, behind my hotel and had a wonderful time discovering the world of Lush. I listened to a great street performer- David Bruno?.I am going to be his one woman online fan club, cus I am telling everyone about him! He was great. He sang other peoples songs, some Irish folk tunes and his own stuff.

I got a much needed cash infusion from the First National Bank of Mom- I went back to Covent Garden to grab all the stuff I wished I could buy but couldn?t.

They were having a Moroccan fair that night. It was great. I had wanted to go to Morrocco and Spain when I was planning the trip, but the ole wallet kept me from attempting to do it, and Morrocco was brought to me. They had great bands and wonderful crafts! I bought this huge ceramic dish- Lord Knows how I was going to get it home. I did! It was my carry on. My mom saw it and said where are you going to put it. I said in my china cabinet I don?t have yet - in the apartment I don?t have yet

Anyway, I went to do more shopping in the souvenir shop near Trafalgar Square, I will get the name later, cus they have great deals on postcards and T-shirts!
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

I went to grab some food for dinner, more bread and some other funky cheese, I also bought a thing of sushi. I had only had it once before, when I was laid up after knee surgery. I was not impressed but I thought maybe that?s because I was in pain. It was worth another shot- needless to say, I was right the first time. Didn?t like it.
Not cool!!!

Anyway, I spent the evening packing my glass items and wrapping the fragile stuff. I decided my next day would be spent at the British Museum. I decided I was going to walk there from my hotel. I was making good time and enjoying my walk, but I made a wrong turn somewhere and was walking and walking?.my feet were killing me. After about two hours, I felt defeated and was going to go back to the hotel to nurse my feet. That?s when I decided I was going to take the Tube. I had promised my friend in Manchester I was not going to do it ( he thought it was no place for a woman on her own- whatever), but?..whatever, he wasn?t there and what he didn?t know wouldn?t hurt him

So, I hopped on the tube and I saw that I was only three stops away from the museum- so I decided to go ahead with my plans! I loved the museum! I wanted to see the Egyptian stuff the most, so that was my first stop. I didn?t know Egypt was in the UK! They have so much stuff it was sad, but I was also happy at the same time cus I was able to see it, so I was torn between being sad for the Egyptians and happy for myself

The African and Grecian exhibits were also great! You can take non flash photos. They came out ok but not as good as if I could have used flash photography.

The gift shop is nice and rather large- it is available online too, so you may want to rethink buying things while you are there. I just got postcards for my photo album.
The larger purchases will have to wait until I marry rich or become employed

I went back to the hotel and decided to go back to Covent Garden- I was drawn there. I dunno why. I loved it! Small quaint shops and the people. On my way back to Covent Garden I was in the hotel waiting for the elevator and once again that elderly American guy and his travel companions were packed in the elevator, he looked up and saw me and yelled Déjà vu! We all laughed and I got on and then he asked me if I enjoyed my bus tour- for a moment I was taken aback cus I never spoke to him really, and how?d he know I was going on a bus tour?!?! I said yes I enjoyed it and I was kinda glad that he was concerned about my welfare and/or stalking me

I am a cop groupie, so I had the privelege of watching a major police chase and take down- when it was over I thought about how I didn?t take pictures. I got there kinda late, but whatever this guy did, it required 3 cops to tackle him and wrestle with him on the ground. I was happy as a pig in mudJ The criminal was all bloody and was not very happy. Then another 5 or 6 cops came flying down the street with latex gloves on- I guess they had heard there was a lot of blood?..so they all wrestled with him and got him cuffed and marched him up the street. So there I was- being nosey- trying to listen to the cop take the report so I could find out what happened, but I never did get the full story. Of course I was standing right in the middle of everything. I needed a juicy story for the folks back home and I kinda got one

Anyway, I walked around and enjoyed the rest of the Morroccan fair.

I dined on a delightful vegetarian cheddar sandwhich from Pret a Manger?.It was delicious- I dunno what the red sweet stuff was in the middle of it, that had to go?.it was sweet and rather distracting

Anyway Saturday was my last full day in London and I decided not to go to Nottinghill and make my way to Harrods and to St. Pauls. I went to St.Pauls first. Absolutely gorgeous. I was talked into walking to the viewing gallery. I am so glad I went. It was great. I stayed there for awhile absorbing the scenery.

I walked through the crypts and then went to the gift shop and went shopping. It gets crowded but they really know how to get the crowds out quickly.

I got back on the Tube and went to Harrods. I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. The food gallery looks like the grocery store here
(Wegmans) so, it wasn?t all I thought it would be. I grabbed a few small items. I bought dinner/lunch- some Thai rice and some French lemonade. I kept the bottle cus it was really funky- I could slap some flowers in it one day ( You know, in the apartment I don?t have yet)

I bought stuff from the bakery to sample and bring home.

I left and went across the street to Sainsbury?s. I had a celebrity sighting! Morley Safer from 60 minutes. He walked by me and I thought no, can?t be. So I said excuse me, he barley looked over his shoulder and I said you look familiar, he kinda smirked and I said 60 minutes? He half heartedly smiled and I thought what a jerk! Normally when people tell me they ran into someone famous and they were rude, I think well they caught them on a bad day or maybe they didn?t want to be recognized- but ladies and gentleman- Morely Safer was a jerk heheJ So I didn?t do the autograph thing or the picture thing?.I did the next best thing, snapped pics of him from behindJ So, I will have this old guys bum in my photo album?..the guy and girl at the check out counter were looking at me like I was crazy cus I was taking tons of shots. I said that guy is famous back in the states. They looked at him and said that guy? I said yes, I know, he is like a 150 years old but yes, he is a famous newscaster. They didn?t seem too impressed.

Anyway, I walked around trying to find Jo Malones, but my feet were screaming!!! Just as I gave up a taxi pulled up and I got in. My taxi driver looked like Mel Gibson and lets just say I was one happy woman! We had a delightful chat! He was very nice and extremely funny! I dug him and wanted to bring him home hehe

I never did get to Jo Malones-I hear there is one in NYC- Ill go there one day, so I was not too upset.

Made it back to the hotel and ate my rice and went back out to Covent Garden?.

I decided to get a Cuban cigar?.can?t get em here. I wanted to see what all the hub bub was about needless to say it did nothing for me. At least I can say I smoked one?..I kept the ring and the little envelope it came in?.

Anyway, I packed my stuff up and spoke to my friend in Manchester one last time and we were all sad I was leaving.

Then, I called my airport ride to confirm my reservation and was told they?d be there between 6 and 6:30 am. I was told between 7and 7:30?.good thing I called. I set the TV wake up alarm- needless to say I overslept. I woke up at exactly 6 am- jumped up and threw everything in my carryon and rushed downstairs.

The guy was waiting for me. He was very nice cus he saw how frantic I was. I looked like death warmed over!

There were 8 of us stuffed in this small van. All of us were from the states except one woman from somewhere else in the UK. We had a delightful conversation about our trip. Two of the women were a mother and daughter from Texas. They were so cute. They came to the UK to go antiquing- they made it on Antiques Roadshow, so we were all saying we?d look for them. I told them about Morley Safer- they all got a kick out of that.

I made it to Gatwick and I called my friend in Manchester from every payphone I found Walked around the Duty free stores. I had actually planned on doing a lot of shopping there before I left for my trip but I did not feel like shopping when I got there. I stopped at the Virgin store and they had a nice deal 3 CD?s for 26 pounds?.so I grabbed three. That was it. I found my gate and yet another payphoneJ I had tons of British change to get rid ofJ So I sat there leaving a billion voice mails until my change ran out.

So, I boarded my flight and left a wonderful country and the man I love all at the same time. I was sad but very glad I got the opportunity to finally make it to the UK. It was my dream vacation and time flew quickly! I sat on the plane plotting my next trip and wondering about possibly going to get my Ph.d in the UK or finding a government job in the UK?..something will turn up cus I am going back! I loved it!

So, that?s my report?..I am going back so I can go to the places I just passed by but did not get to see?. I saw the things I had to see, Covent Garden, St. Pauls, and the British Museum?.I was/am a happy woman! A broke happy woman!
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

I just thought of some more do's and don'ts:

Do not forget to call your bank to let them know you will be traveling overseas- give them the dates and your itinerary! Debit cards/ATM/Credit Cards- so you won't get stuck w/o funds!

Also, do the under the pants money belt thing.....store ur passport, tickets, and money in the pouch!!

It bears repeating- grab a few packs of Mole Skin- in the footcare section of the drug store....it'll save you if you develop blisters.

And thanks again for all the well wishes for my graduation- it still hasn't sunk in yet!

Peace and Love everyone!
PW
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Sylvia

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself but I think your friend is being over cautious about the tube. Single women travel by it every day including my daughter. How do you think they all get to work every day?

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 12:37 AM

Wow! PW, what a trip report. Your enthusiam is infectious. Glad to hear you have a good time in both London and Manchester (for different reasons obviously). The street singer Brian Bruno has been busking for a while now (about ten years?). The first time I heard him I was blown away by his voice and bought his CD too. But the CD was disappointing due to the poor recording. I hope the recording on the CD you bought has improved. I still stop and listen whenever I pass him in Covent Garden or Leicester Square. In fact I saw him two days ago (Saturday) in Old Crompton Street (Soho). There was a large crowd listening to his singing and some people got up and danced. It was kinda nice. I am sad in a way that no record company has snapped him out yet.

I have not been to Harrods for a long while now. These days I shop in Harvey Nicholas or Selfridges, they are a lot nicer and less touristy. I have always told friends from abroad the best thing about Harrods is their food hall and the green and gold carrier. For real shopping, I advise them to go somewhere else.

Please come back soon PW, we like appreciative visitors like you in London.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 01:41 AM

Nice to hear you had such a wonderful trip here - sounds really exciting and I hope it will be the first of many for you.
Agree with Sylvia regarding the tube - especially in busy central areas during the day time.
Congratulations also on graduating.
Kavey
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 01:44 AM

Just read that Buskers are going to have to audition and be licensed, hope that doesn't spoil it.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:56 AM

PW, fun trip report--I especially liked your tale of the police takedown. Congratulations on your graduation, and good luck on finding work and an apartment (somewhere to keep your Morrocan ceramic dish).
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 07:11 AM
Bootman4U

Great and fun report. Somehow I think you had as much funas you did have because you didn't get all worked up about what you were going to WEAR! A refreshing change for this forum.

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi all,

First, i totally agree about the Tube. once i was on it, I was like this is nothing. I dunno why my friend was concerned, but he was being a gentleman so I appreciate his concern. But, I'd do it again and tell other women to do the same in a heartbeat!

Second, Bootman that was funny. When I arrived I just started giggling because I saw every kind of dress there and thought man I have to get back to Fodors to tell people to calm down!

I don't know who started that clothing issue but it was absolutely ridiculous. It is another city yes, but it is not another planet!!

Naturaltan, it is so good to see someone else appreciates Brian Bruno. I wish I got to talk to him while I was there. I dunno what it was, but his voice was soooo cool....it like pulled me toward him. I was across the street and it was like I was in some sort of trance or something. I stood there like a school girl just singing along.... I suppose if I drank alcohol, I woulda gone up to sing with him!

The CD's weren't of the best quality but they were a great reminder of a wonderful trip, so for that it was cool....

I thought they already auditioned the performers. He was my fave and then there was this 3 man reggae group that was cool....every drunk woman in Covent Garden decided to dance to the rhythm- that was fun to watch. I didn't participate

The trip was wonderful! Glad I could come back to Fodors and share my joy- none of my friends and family are sharing my enthusiasm at the moment. Oh well. Their loss is Fodors' gain

I shall be back soon!!!

Now if only I could get David Beckham to leave Posh....Policywonk Beckham- has a ring to it, doesn't it?

Oh and about Harrods, I am glad I went the one time, but I would not make it a mustsee on my return trip....I'd go if I was dragged there, but as far as the shopping, there are far better places to hit. I agree!

Cheers!
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 04:22 PM

Thanks for one of hte best trip reports ever.

Regarding your surprose at seeing Egyptian stuff in the British Museum: My son claims that the full name of the place is "The British Museum of Colonial Loot."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -