Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Last minute Spain itinerary review requested (Seville, Madrid)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My spouse and I are heading to Spain next week and I was wondering if anybody has any comments or improvements to our itinerary. As the hotels are already booked, I'm primarily hoping for feedback on day-trips (changing the dates, etc) and any comments on what we may have wrong during the Holy Week. I have done a fair amount of research and I believe the places are planning to see are open on the days listed below, but if anybody knows otherwise, I would appreciate a heads up.

Hotels:
Seville: Alminar
Madrid: Urban for one night, Westin Palace for four nights

Friday, April 03: Arrive Seville AM (9:45AM): walk around, relax

Saturday, April 04: Daytrip early AM to Cordoba to see Mezquita, back for dinner

Sunday, April 05: Seville Alcazar (AM), Cathedral (PM). Any special Palm Sunday events?

Monday, April 06: walk around Seville until lunch, 2:45 AVE to Madrid, arrive Madrid 5:15PM

Tuesday, April 07: In Madrid, Prado, parks, walk around, dinner in Salamanca

Wednesday, April 08: Day-trip to Toledo

Thursday, April 09: Day-trip to Segovia. Back for processions in Madrid???

Friday, April 10: In Madrid, Reina Sofia, Puerta Sol, Plaza Mayor, Royal Palace

Saturday, April 11 Fly home (1:40PM)

Also going to try to squeeze in Bull Fighting museum in Seville and flamenco in Madrid or Seville.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations! I'll be sure to post some notes upon our return.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 03:25 PM
yk

I don't like back-to-back day trips (Toledo and Segovia), but I guess you can switch days around?
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 03:44 PM

Salamanca is two hours away, so I assume you mean the "Salamanca area" of Madrid?

Go early and stay all day in Segovia or Toledo Thursday to see the processions there. take the last bus home. It should be quite an experience. It should be the day with the most processions. many other days in most cities they are only at night or perhaps at 5.30 in the morning.

I would not be up for two day trips back to back either. Especially with the crowds of Semana Santa.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 04:27 PM

If you'd like to see a Flamenco show, I'd suggest Casa de la Memoria while you are in Sevilla (tons of reviews here on fodors). Email Hotel Alminar and they will gladly set that up in advance for you so the show is not sold out...especially during a busier season.
Perhaps when you get to Sevilla and you are walking around, you can take a walk over to see the Plaza de Espana, passing through the Parque Maria Luisa on your way/way back. Otherwise, the Alcazar and Cathedral in Sevilla are right next to each other, you MIGHT have time to visit both as well as head over to the Plaza de Espana at another point during the day (depending on how much walking you like to do) on Sunday.
Either way, if you have any questions at all about local events, contact Maria or Francisco at Alminar, they have always been a huge help for me!
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I don't like back-to-back day trips either, but I was worried about sites, stores and restaurants being closed on Good Friday. Maybe this won't be a problem.

Lincasanova, Yes, I am referring to the Salamanca section of Madrid, sorry for the confusion. What time do the processions start / end in Toledo and Segovia? I assume the procession in Toledo is better than Segovia?

Thanks again!
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 06:02 AM

you can get schedules looking up "procesiones semana santa" then the city name.