Just a heads up for spirit drinkers going to CZ

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There has been a rash of deaths due to methanol poisoning in the Czech Republic.

From Radio Prague:
Death toll from methanol poisoning reaches eight

Eight people have died of methanol poisoning from bootleg alcohol and two dozen are fighting for their lives in Czech hospitals. There is now growing concern for public safety as new cases are registered daily in different locations. Although two cases of methanol poisoning have appeared in central Bohemia the vast majority of cases are reported in Moravia. The health ministry has ordered inspections in cafeterias and restaurants around the country and the public has been warned not to consume unlabeled alcohol or spirits on tap. Police are still trying to trace the source of the contaminated liquor and it is not clear how much of it may be on the market or where it may surface. A number of suspect bottles confiscated by the police on Monday carried a Drak spirits producer label, but the company says the labels were fake. Three cases of methanol poisoning have been reported across the border in neighbouring Poland. Two people are reported to have died and a third has gone blind.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 12:27 AM

How terrible!!!
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 12:29 AM

I stick to Slivovice and Becherovka when I am over there and the occasional Fernet but you never know who could be topping it up with something else.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

At first they thought it was just the street kiosks, but now they are looking at the restaurants and cafes. It is pretty shocking. Apparently, use of methanol in very limited quantities is not unheard of, but this is something different. Still, any methanol is too much methanol.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 09:02 AM

I'll be there in 10 days.

I'll stick to Pivo and Červené víno.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 10:20 AM

33 days till i am back in the city and I shall certainly be having a few Pivos.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

DH and I are on a pivo exploring kick. We are not partial to the mass produced beer that seems to be everywhere but are having a grand time searching out little 'hole in the wall' pubs that serve microbrews or other special beers!
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 01:19 AM

I go to Prageu several times a year for the beer and have been going to the annual beer festival in May since it started 5 years ago.
lots of great micro breweries in the city ans several other places that serve great beer if you search some of my previous post there is a lot of info about beer on them. There is a fairly new place that has opened called the Beer Museum Pub that has 30 different beer on tap ,they serve 150ml sampling glasses (5 at a time) that are worth trying , taking a friend in there when I visit in October.
http://www.praguebeermuseum.com/en/index.htm
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

unclegus, We are familiar with it. The only problem is that it gets smokey but that may change in the near future!

Are you familiar with this site?
http://www.praguebeergarden.com/home I love the pub crawl map on it! http://www.praguebeergarden.com/pages/pub-map
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 03:04 AM

yes its a great website.
A blog you may be interested in is this one.
http://www.pivni-filosof.com/2012/09...50994058963777
I had the pleasure of meeting Max the blog writer at the beer festival this May and we had quite a few beers together.His book Prague a Pissheads pub guide is excellent and covers quite a few pub crawls in various parts of the city,a good book to buy.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 01:13 AM

SloJan, you might be interested in the article in the Prague post, written by Max who also writes the beer Blog I mentioned.
http://www.praguepost.com/blogs/beer...bus-great-day/
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 01:26 AM

Died, gone blind, horrible ! In Prague, I drink only beer (or non alcohol drinks) but it's good to know. If someone offer me a small quantity of spirits, I might take a sip but I will think twice.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

They think they may have found the culprits.

unclegus, I will check those out. Thanks!
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm, it is getting uglier. The bad alcohol has turned up in retail and catering establishments. All alcohol with over a 20% alcohol level is now banned in the CZ until further notice.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj