Travel from London-Bath, and Tube schedule NY's Day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2006, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving in exactly a week for Paris and London! I have a few lingering questions I'm hoping some people can clear up.

1. I understand that to get to Bath from London, I leave from Paddington station. Is the Bath station called Bath Spa? Also, it will be fine for me to buy my train tickets from London to Bath when I am actually there in London, right? (As opposed to buying online)

2. On New Year's Day, I'll be arriving in London (Waterloo) from Paris at 1330. Staying at Swissotel, on Temple. The Tube website says for Waterloo & City line there will be no service that day. What should I take to get to my hotel? Cannon St. will be open 730-1930; that seems to be close to Temple, but if Waterloo has no service, that won't even be an option will it? Should we just walk from Waterloo to the hotel? (We are young and active...we could probably do it...plan to only have backpacks.)

3. Any last minute tips for either Paris or London travel?? Been to Paris 1X (DH 2X), but neither of us have been to London! I've been reading tons of other threads and website links, but just wanted to leave that open!
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, one more thing! Related to Question 1, what is the train station for Stonehenge called? We are thinking about doing Bath and Stonehenge in the same day.

Also, which would you do first that morning, Bath or Stonehenge?
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 09:53 AM

Stonehenge is accessible by bus from the Salisbury (SAULSbree) train station. Wilts & Dorset buses http://www.wdbus.co.uk/ have a regular schedule throughout the region. They can get you between Stonehenge, Bath, and Salisbury.

You may find (I haven't researched it) that your itinerary will be decided by the availability of transport. If I had a choice, I'd see Bath in the morning and Stonehenge in the evening (it gets spooky around sunset).
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:12 AM

Only the Waterloo & City line will be out of service. You can still get into the city on the Tube, for example the Bakerloo Line to Embankment and Circle or District Line to Temple. It's about a mile using the Waterloo Bridge, so if you want a nice hike after your train ride, that option is viable. Here's the layout (bottom of Page 1): http://london.swissotel.com/z960/pdf/factsheet.pdf
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:28 AM

From Waterloo to Temple is a circuitous route by tube at the best of times. When you get to Waterloo, look for the exits to Waterloo Road (you might need to go up to the main concourse and walk across to the escalator for the underground past the Reef Bar). From stop F on Waterloo Road, take a bus (4 or 172 or 341) to the Royal Courts of Justice. From there, cross over in front of St Clement Danes church, bear right and walk down Arundel St. Temple station is at the bottom of the street and the Swissotel is on the right hand side.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:30 AM

I take it back. Changing at Embankment would be easier. There are a couple of dozen stairs at Temple, but it's much more straightforward.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 02:55 PM

Saraallison, may you have a wonderful trip. I was just wondering about your Charm bracelet. Do you have the charms put on the bracelet by a jeweler, or do you attach them on yourself? I have many charms just hanging on a neck chain and want to put them on a bracelet.