Staying in Cagli between Gubbio and Urbino

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, What should we do We like visiting interesting towns. We like to eat well. We like to meet the the people. Sorry, not a very interesting question.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 08:10 PM

Why are you staying in Cagli? A few people on Slow Travel stayed there and had a nice time, but there are scads more interesting places to stay.

Anyway, San Leo and Sant'arcangelo in Vado are marvelous towns to visit. I liked eating (and overnighting) at Nene, near Urbino. Acqualagna is faed for its truffles in season.

Fewer people in Le Marche speak English than elsewhere in Italy, so it can be hard to meet Italians unless you speak the language.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Ciao, zeppole, thank you for responding to my question. I was a little surprised that you responded to me after your comments regarding me in another topic posted about a week ago, in the Europe-Italy forum. I don’t want to go into what was said by either of us. I do apologize for saying that “Pisa is a loser” it was a poor choice of words. I meant that Firenze has so much more than Pisa. Even you wrote that Firenze has (your quote) “ I'd much rather see Ghilberti's doors, the Cappella Brancacci, the Duomo, the museo San Marco, the interior frescoes at Santa Maria Novella and the Cappella Medici. Or even walk in the Boboli gardens -- or have a bombolini in Caffe San Marco”. I am sure you remember the question that was posted on.
We are going to Cagli for 3 days because we have never been to Le Marche before even after 5 trips to Italy. My husband wants to go to the Adriatic coast and we want to see Urbino and Gubbio. We found a small agristurismo that we were attracted to, so we are going to Cagli. We leave the excitement of Rome and drive to the calmness of Cagli before we go to Pienza.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 07:12 PM

Mary - I really liked both Gubbio and Urbino. In Urbino there's an elevator in the car park to take you to the top of the town. Otherwise you have to take the stairs or a long walk around and uphill.

BTW - Pienza, and that area, is also calm.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 06:35 AM

Marycang,

I seldom pay attention to screenames, and hope you have a nice trip to Le Marche.

It is an exceptionally fun area to explore, and not much written about. So the discoveries will be all your own.

This is an excellent website for finding out what's in the region:

http://www.le-marche.com/

I don't know what time of year you are traveling, but whenever there is a warm and sunny weekend, the Italians like to drive to the beach. So when it comes to exploring coastal towns, try to do it during the weekdays.

Have a great trip.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 07:05 AM
LJ

Le Marche is marvellous and you will enjoy the coastal resorts. We especially like Sirolo and the Monte Conero area which is just slightly inland. When you have confirmed your itinerary, ask about places to eat...I have a whole portfolio!
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

We are back from our trip to le Marche we stayed at the most wonderful agriturismo "Casale Torre del Sasso" in Cagli. We were so impressed with the landscape of Marche, it is amazing, every turn in the road is another beautiful scene. We love Tuscany, but Marche is even more scenic. We drove to Urbino and the Adriatic coast, enjoyed both days. The other 2 days we just stayed close to Cagli, took short drives to nowhere and enjoyed the views. We don't know shy there is not more excitement about Marche. We have been to many other regions in Italy, but Marche will always stand out as the most scenic.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 07:27 AM

Hi Marycang,

Thank you for the follow-up on staying at the agriturismo. It looks like my kind of place. There is no rate info on the website- what did you pay? I have added it to my favorites for a future visit. Will you be doing a trip report?
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

We stayed in Il Pontone and I think we paid about $80 per day. The rate on the website for Il Pontone for a week is 520 euros per week. This unit was very private. We loved the litle town. We would return here if we can collect enough AA miles to get there. When we were there, there wes a German couple from Washigton D.C., there for the 8th time and a German couple from Germany there for the 15 time. This is a very relaxing and beautiful place, with Italian food.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 10:43 PM

Marycang, I stayed a few weeks in Le Marche years ago - too long ago to be any help to you. But it was lovely. I can recommend the countryside around Fermo and the small village of Capodarco di Fermo. On Google Earth it doesn't look as if it's changed that much! Of course there may be many other places I didn't get to!