Using the Airport Terminal 5 Underground

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will be my family's first visit to London in July 2013. I booked a hotel near Heathrow Airport which has a free shuttle going to Terminal 5. I chose an airport hotel because we are flying out early in the morning after 2 nights stay.

Would my family be able to access the Underground in Terminal 5 to go to London or is that inaccessible to non-passengers? If we are unable to use that, what would be the cheapest way for a family of 4 to go from West Drayton to London?

And which area in London should we first step out in?
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 04:38 PM

Absotively posilutely not a problem. The entrance to the underground is outside the secure area of the terminal. Upon returning, remember you need the Picadilly line train marked going to Heathrow terminal 5.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>I chose an airport hotel because we are flying out early in the morning after 2 nights stay.</i>"

A one night stay before a VERY early AM - makes some sense. But for <i>TWO</i> nights, sorry but that is not a good idea at all. You do realize the tube takes an hour+ each way into central London . . .

What time do you arrive and what time is your departure? Usually staying in the center is just as convenient as staying near the airport.

You say it is in West Drayton - that is north of the motorway from LHR. Which hotel - most likely the shuttle doesn't run continually so commuting back and forth might not be as easy as you think.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:03 PM

The easiest way from West Drayton into central London is from West Drayton or Hayes & Harlington railway stations, whence trains to Paddington every 10 mins or so.

But few (actually, I think no) hotels are within easy walking distance of those stations, and the Heathrow off-airport hotels are absolutely NOT located for convenient access to buses taking you anywhere.

For once, janisj is wrong. By the time you've walked to a proper bus stop, got a bus to a tube or railway station, then (if travelling by railway) got a tube on from Paddington to where you want to visit, it can easily take 90 mins from a West Drayton hotel into anywhere worth being in central London and the same to get back. Taxis cost a fortune and fight through constant traffic.

The airport hotels are terrific for two nights if you're spending your days in a conference with colleagues inside one of them.

But it'd be almost easier and cheaper to visit London from a hotel in central Paris than from one of them.

Cancel your hotel right now and book somewhere sensible.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:37 PM

"<i>For once, janisj is wrong. By the time you've walked to a proper bus stop, got a bus to a tube or railway station, then (if travelling by railway) got a tube on from Paddington to where you want to visit, it can easily take 90 mins from a West Drayton hotel into anywhere worth being in central London and the same to get back.</i>"

I don't doubt that at all -- and that might be optimistic. My hour+ was just for the tube from LHR. Getting there from West Drayton wasn't in the calculation.

But as you can see -- West Drayton is not at all convenient for visiting London. . . . and you want to stay there <i>two</i> nights?!
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

We are arriving in Heathrow Airport at 6:55 pm and departing 2 days later at 6:50 am.

My concern with booking a hotel in central London is waking up our 2 kids vy early to leave for the airport. If I can save them some more time of sleep, the better. Or should I book 1 night in central London & the other night in a hotel near the airport.

What about which train station is best to come out from for someone visiting London for the first time?
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

BTW, the hotel is Premier Inn Heathrow Airport Terminal 5.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 10:20 AM

Gloucester Road area is quite good for those who want to be within reasonable distance both for LHR and central London. Millenium Baileys hotel is one example, but there are many others in that area.
If you have not been to London before, Piccadilly station is a good one to come out of and walk thru to Leicester Square, Trafalgar Square etc.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 10:24 AM

"<i>BTW, the hotel is Premier Inn Heathrow Airport Terminal 5.</i>"

Then you aren't in West Drayton and that changes ALL the travel descriptions above. The Premier Inn is just off the airport and on the Hotel Hoppa.

But I still wouldn't stay there <u>two nights</u>. I understand not wanting to roust the kids at 0 dark:thrity. Staying in the center would add about 35-45 minutes to the morning trip (at 4:30AM there is virtually no traffic so a car service would be quick-ish)

Why not book one night in central London but only take a couple of carry on's w/ you. Leave the bulk of the bags at LHR Left Luggage and take the tube into the city. Spend all the next day sightseeing (your London hotel will hold your carry on's while you explore. And then after dinner, pick up the carry-on's take the tube back out to LHR and pick up you bags and go to the Premier Inn for the 2nd night.

The only reason I suggest collecting the bags that night is if you are anything like me there is always some rearranging of stuff/re-packing/tossing before flying out.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 10:30 AM

Are you sure that's a free shuttle? From the website it looks like the Hoppa shuttle. Which only costs L4. So you will have to wake up the kids and catch a shuttle that will get you to the airport before 5 AM. Wonder what the shuttle departure times are that early?

We had a similar problem with an early departure from Heathrow Terminal 5. We splurged on the Sofitel, which is attached to the terminal. Just walked over the bridge at 5 AM.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Is the LHR Left Luggage outside the secure area of the airport?

What if I book somewhere in between Heathrow and Central London, like Bretford? I believe there is a train station in Bretford. Would this make more sense? We can just take the cab going back to the airport.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 10:56 AM

No- it definitely isn't free. I forgot the he mentioned it being a 'free' shuttle' in the OP.

ramedor88: There may be some confusion - where did you get the info about a free shuttle and it being in West Drayton?

And yes, you'll want to take a cab at that time in the AM. The first Hoppa on that route starts just before 5 AM and serves 3 hotels so you probably won't get to the terminal til around 5:30.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I mean Brentford.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 11:00 AM

I didn't see your last post - was looking up the Hoppa schedule.

"<i>What if I book somewhere in between Heathrow and Central London, like Bretford? I believe there is a train station in Bretford. Would this make more sense? We can just take the cab going back to the airport.</i>"

No -that makes no sense at all. Would not save either time or money.

Yes, Left Luggage is landside (outside of security)
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 11:02 AM

"<i>I didn't see your last post - </i>" . . . or the next one

I knew you mean Brentford--still doesn't make sense
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

What about Earl's Court? I have read that it has excellent and not so expensive accomodations. And I am looking through the London Underground map and it appears to share the same line with the Heathrow terminals. That may be a nice place to book the first night.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 11:47 AM

Earls Court is the farthest west I would stay. Yes, it is on the direct tube line between LHR and London. And yes, there are some budget accommodations in the area.

But there are budget accommodations in other areas - many just as convenient to the airport. South Kensington, Russell Square, etc. Even Victoria - not on the same tube line but just one very easy transfer.

Before choosing Earls Court . . . what is your budget?
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

My budget is not more than $200 a day for accommodation. From what I have seen so far, a decent day's stay within or near central London is more expensive than the 2 days accommodation at the Premier Inn and they are not even as good as the Premier based on the reviews. I just don't think it is worth it to spend more than $400 for a 2 night's stay when we are only going to be in London a total of 30 hours and only a third of this will be spend in the hotel. Anyway, we'll be back in London a week after that for 4 days and this time hopes to stay in central London. I would be willing to go beyond the above budget then.

I rechecked and several reviewers at tripadvisor did say that there is a bus that goes to and from terminal 5 for free.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 03:11 PM

"<i>From what I have seen so far, a decent day's stay within or near central London is more expensive than the 2 days accommodation at the Premier Inn and they are not even as good as the Premier based on the reviews.</i>"

Not true - can be true, but doesn't have to be.

The Hotel Hoppa is not free - all of the hotels are served by a for-pay bus.

But NOW you say you will be in London later on. Wish we had known that in the first place . . .

In that case <u>forget</u> about going into London at all on this one day layover. Go to Windsor instead. You can stay at the Premier Inn - it is only a cheap bus ride from there. Windsor castle, legoland if the kids are little, Eton if they aren't. A much better idea than schlepping in to London when you will be visiting the city later on.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 03:20 PM

Oh -I just figured out why you thought the shuttle is free. No, the shuttle costs quite a bit. But there is a small transit zone right around LHR where the regular local public bus doesn't charge. The Premier Inn is w/i that zone.

So yes you could catch that bus - I don't think it would work for your early morning flight though. The Hoppa comes right up to the hotel entrance, but you'd have to hike to the bus stop w/ your luggage to catch the local bus.

But for a flight that early, you'll probably have to call a cab.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -