Uniworld River Cruise advice wanted

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are signed up with Uniworld's August 5-25, 2006 river cruise from Bucharest to Nuremberg - ending in Prague. We are both in our 40's and it's our first cruise of any kind. Advice & feedback wanted:

1.) Any feedback (good and/or bad) on Uniworld, their staff / ships / service / etc? The more detailed, the better.

2.) Any 'don't miss under any circumstances' destinations? Which port cities?

3.) Anyone tried 'Dracula Club' restaurant in Bucharest? Worth the trip, kitch & all?

4.) We want to rent a Harley/full size motorcycle for the last free day in Prague - any rental location tips? Sightseeing tips?

Thanks for any help!

Warm regards,

K & B, Walnut Creek, CA
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:31 PM

On any European river cruise I've seen, you don't get much time in most of the cities and towns. So do you homework so you can get to the main sights quickly and back to the boat before it leaves.

I've seen river cruise itineraries that allow as little as 30 minutes in a city like Bamberg--what's the point of stopping at all?
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:02 PM

On a river cruise you don't have any choice in "what not to miss". They stop the boat and there you are. I have been on some uniworld cruises, older, conservative crowd, made some nice friends, took the offered excursions at the stops. enjoyable if not exactly exciting.

The Harley day sounds like alot of fun!
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Jed

We took Uniworld to China. We thought the company was very good, with good hotels and activities. Everything went as advertised. I would go with them again.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 05:32 PM

Hi K & B

My wife and I, mid 60s, are booked on the same trip.

We have cruised with Uniworld twice before and have nothing but good experiences to report. We took the North Sea to the Alps trip which is a crusied from Amsterdam up the Rhine to Basel. The second trip was across France sailing from Hon Fluer on the English Channel up the Seine to Paris. Then down the Rhone from Lyon to Arles on the Med. Sea
Both trips were fabulous. We tended to take the package shore tours, but would occasionally seek out local restaurants for dinners ashore. This means that you pay twice for your meal as it is included in your fare.

The tours we took allowed free time ashore after the tours as a general rule.
In our experience you are likely to be on the younger side of the passenger list. Late 50s to early 60s seems to be the norm.

It is not a problem to skip any or all shore excursions if you want to strike out on your own. Open seating presents you the choice of dining with someone different every nite if you wish. Our experience is after 3 or 4 dinners, people seem to start eating wih people they have met and form new frienships.

Dress is generally very casual with considereration for local customs on attire when entering churches, etc. On our previous trips most people spiffed up a bit for the Captains Dinner. Some of the dinners ashore we also Put on a blazer as an effort to match the attire of some of the more upscale restuarants we visited.

Hope you find this useful and we look forward to meeting you Aug 6 in Bucharest.

Don
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Don,

I appreciate the insight into Uniworld - we are very happy with our choice, but it was based on very short research, not through anyone's recommendation, so your feedback is very helpful.

I had noticed in several other responses that we are on the same trip together in August - we will look forward to meeting you and your wife on August 6th. Safe travels,

Kevin
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 01:11 PM

You can look up o the Harley site for international travel. I am sure they will provide you info for your ride in Prague. Great idea!!! We ride, (well I am only passenger) and that is something we would want to do if we were going!! Sounds like fun! Have a blast!!