Barge trip - Canal du Midi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking a Le Boat barge trip from Carcasonne to Narbonne next week. Any advice, tips, stops, places of interest are welcomed. Will be traveling with adults and children.
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 08:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1) Don't drink the water
2) Don't get in the water
3) Do drink the wine, buy food from shops along the way and chat to the lock keepers (especially the pretty ones)
4) Take loads of photos, don't get knocked in by passing trees
5) If there are bikes to borrow, borrow them
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 08:56 AM

6) Take some heavy duty waterproof gloves for handling wet lines when transiting locks. The canal water is definitely unsanitary.

And have a wonderful time!
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 09:00 AM

I am VERY, VERY jealous. We took that exact trip with that company and L O V E D it. We dd 3 weeks in China and cruised the Yangtze, went down the Nile, cruised the Rhine, etc, etc. But the Midi always comes out on top.

So, to get to your question; here are my suggestions. If you get to the boat by 4, go to the little grocery and stock up. Then do a little shakedown cruise. If it's a Sunday, you might find stores closed.

So in terms of supplies, it depends how you are getting to the boat (and the size of your group. Fridge is very small, so you will be shopping for fresh food as you cruise. Spices (sugar, mayo, salt, etc) you might want to bring the small size with you or start collecting from fast food places when you go. Little boxes of clothes detergent and dish detergent.

You will get the Capts Manual, and Watersway Guide for your trip is absolutely essential. Tells you everything about everything, stops, water, towns, markets, locks,etc. With that said you need to have enough food through lunch the next day. So for instance, you get to a lock, its lunch, you can eat while the lock is closed (if it has a lock keeper) and you didn't get there before it closed.

Bring lots of small sachels for groceries so no one person is overload with groceries. Bring elastic ties to tie items to the bike. We rented bikes, road to the town to get food and met the hubbies on the boat at the next bridge or lock to get back on board. Worked well.

A strong recommendation is to bring towels. Some that you might have that are torn or faded but willing to leave once the cruise is over. I just hate small, skimpy, thin, towels.

#1 item to bring are enough HEAVY work gloves for the ropes, probably at least one pair if not two if adults and kids are doing the job. The ropes are wet, gross and slimy and you really can't grip them with your hands and wouldn't want to. Those also can be left behind. You might want to consider bringing old sneakers for the deckwork as well.

There is lots of storage on the boat that is not obvious so might be good activity for kids to find.

Bring a Dollar Store rain ponchos for #1, weighs as much as a cotton ball and almost as big.

Take and stop at wineries as they are fabulous and I don't drink. Cemeteries are also wonderful as are the markets.

You will have a magical time. Enjoy.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 06:30 AM

Galley provisions: It might sound an abomination to do this in the area you are visiting, but we found that the large tins of cassoulet were a wonderful standby for a quick lunch or dinner on board- with a fresh baguette and a glass of red of course.
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 04:18 AM

Tinned food a great idea but recommend reading the ingrediants, especially with kids who sometimes can be so picky.
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 04:51 AM

cassoulet is a special case (Castelnuadry being the centre of development) but taking tins when you are surrounded by so much fresh food is just weird.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 10:51 AM

Oh dear, maybe I should prostrate myself and beg forgiveness in front of the massed ranks of the Grand Confriere du Cassoulet when I'm at the Fete du Cassoulet in Castelnaudary on August 24th........
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 11:02 AM

sskoep: Would love to see a trip report when you get back! Bon voyage!
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 01:58 PM

SeeDee abasement would be be enough

OP the interesting thing about the canal was that the guy who designed and built it introduced some interesting ideas, the use of the Norman Arch to make the canals work, the idea of building a canal over a river, the idea of letting women work on the canal and the realisation that they knew how to lay the bricks better than the men he employed and the use of cattle to puddle the clay on the canal bed.

There are cafe and restaurants along much of the canal but in some areas there are none, keep an eye out for little adverts at the locks and you will see signs for people who will come and take you to a restaurant (or Table d'hote) away from the canal and (i hope) bring you back. We had some great meals this way.