Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Wine World's next big discovery

Will be Steiermark (Styria), an Austrian province. This beautiful, lush
province is located in the southeastern corner of Austria and borders on
Hungary, Slovenia, and Italy.
Thanks to the vision of its regional vinters and the country’s commitment to quality control, the Styrian wine region will not be a secret for long.
Now you know it, but do you agree?

Karin
www.AustriaTravel.ws
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 02:28 PM

The Steiermark is no secret among Central European wine lovers.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Known about them for years. Wines from that region are wunderbar, as are the wines from the Wachau and Burgenland.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

They might not be a secret for Central Europe, but they are for the US. What a shame. But I think Americans are still scared about the Austrian wine scandal from the 80s?
Lets hope not, because they miss out on some really good stuff!

Karin
www.AustriaTravel.ws
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 09:38 AM

The New York Times posted a long article about Austrian wine recently, with a link to the article poster here. Should come up with a quick search here for "Austrian wine".

Americans are not shy or "scared" of Austrian wines, it's just that most of the good stuff isn't exported to the U.S.

I'm an American and I have enjoyed Austrian wines for years. While in Austria last month, on the top of my "must do" list was lunch at Lovin, the Austrian wine bar/restaurant in Graz.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 09:40 AM

They are no secret to people in the US; we have been buying them in Oregon for years. I see you are also trying to promote your guided tour service as well...why are you using a domain (.ws) that is from Samoa rather than Austria's .at? I think you have another agenda.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 09:55 AM

Uruguay.
M
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

BTilke:
Thank you for pointing the New York Times article out to me! It is unfortunate that they do not export so much of their great wine, maybe that will change in the future? I live in the hid desert (California) and do not have ANY access (unless online) to Austrian wine. That is also why I assumed that not too many Americans know about the Austrian wine. I thought if more people would like to drink Austrian wine, maybe it will get more often imported? But the problem is the export?
Thank you also about the tip "Lovin" in Graz, I will have to check it out this summer when I hopefully get to go there.
Thanks,
Karin
www.AustriaTravel.ws
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:12 AM

I do hope you now understand the Fodors policy against advertising your services on these boards.
But anyway, here's the Lovin web site.
http://www.lovin.at/
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Operaman:
I am using my domain with .ws because the others (.com, .at, etc.) were already taken and a California company is allowed to distribute .ws (they call it .ws-WebSite) worldwide. To read more on this, look here:
http://website.ws/about.dhtml

I am sorry that you think that I have "another agenda". I do not really know what you mean by that, but if you mean that I am promoting my business, I have to ask what is wrong about talking about Austria and letting people know that I host tours to that beautiful country?
Karin
www.AustriaTravel.ws
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

BTilke:
Thank you for the "Lovin" link. It looks like a MUST see.
I think I understand Fodors policy against advertising and I believe I am not advertising my services in my posts. I just like to talk about Austria and with the link to my site people get to know what I am doing. If that is considered "advertising" then I will leave it out.
Thanks,
Karin
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Karin;
There is nothing wrong with trying to promote your business; however as BTilke has noted, fodors looks down on that practice. If you want people to go to your site just say so, it appeared a little sneaky the way you had your site along with your post for the wine discovery. Your tours sound fun for the first timer, good luck in your venture.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 01:39 PM

this post is a commercial!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Operaman!
I am sorry if I appeared a little sneaky, but I am a fast learner
Thank you for wishing me good luck in my venture. Actually it is surprisingly successful, since it is kind of expensive traveling for my clients, but they like to be accompanied all day and not have to do or find out anything by themselves. It is basically a 24hr job for me when I host the tours and all the preparation, etc. BUT it gives me the opportunity to go to Austria and have the great wine which I so love, especially the Styrian wine, that's why I started this post.
All the best!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:52 PM

Karin;
It is okay, my wife and I love your country. We have biked from Aschach an der Donau to Wien on our first trip in 2001 and have been back many times since. I too love to help travelers to Austria, particularly Vienna and cyclers who wish to bike along the Donau. You now live in an area that must make you pine for the 'Welt' of schönes Österreich.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 04:43 AM

We've done several vacations in Styria and do enjoy it a great deal. One of our favorite places was the off the beaten track village of Seckau with its abbey and charming hotel, The Hofwirt, www.hofwirt.at A beautiful area with lakes and hiking trails and quiet villages (the nearby town of Knittelfeld, while not that attractive, has good train services), Gaal, the next village over, has a VW Beetle museum and summer week-ends bring in VW bug fans from all over central Europe. Gaal also offers grass skiing and occasionally you can see some of the Austrian ski team members practicing. The local farmers raise the Scottish longhorn cattle prized by Vienna's top restaurants, including Steirereck. Also nearby if Piber, where the young Lippizaner horses are trained.
When we were in Graz last month we were really impressed. It was gorgeous. The last time I was there, everything had been covered in scaffolding in prep for the Capital of Culture year.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 05:22 AM

Karin, you are indeed a fast learner!

In posting an apology for seeming to employ sneaky methods, you actually sneaked in some more promotion of your enterprise.

Not everybody is gullible, but I suppose that enough people are.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Operaman:
How wonderful that you were biking in Austria and that you were visiting Austria many times. I am thinking about adding a bike tour to my tours. But probably in Styria, because I love this region so much. Thank you also for helping travelers to Austria. Do you think many American cyclers are going to Austria?
Actually I love to live where I live. It is called Joshua Tree, right next to the Joshua Tree National Park. But I have to admit I need to go back to Austria at least a couple of times a year. Cyclers love to go to the Joshua Tree park too and I love to ride my bike there. But unfortunately we do not have any wineries here, although I think with a well and enough water there should be decent wine growing here.... maybe this gives me an idea?
Thanks,
Karin
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:15 PM

Karin;
We loved our bike trip in Austria, here is our site for the journey:
http://austria.starkeconcepts.com/
It is undergoing some rework right now so some of the headings have some problems. You can email me through the site if you wish. We are hoping to return and do more cycling in your area (Steiermark) someday.
I will eventually go to write some guides for biking in Austria. Yes, many Americans are interested in bicycling in Austria, most like the trip from Passau to Wien along the Donau. If you decide to do the tours you need to get the absolute best cycling maps that I have seen from Esterbauer in Klangenfurt:
http://www.esterbauer.com/
Good luck with the new vineyard ~>
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:24 AM

I agree with several posters such as Travmimi and Padraig that see KarinMarinas posts as an attempt to advertise her travel business.
Most all posts include her travel business website. Certainly this website is not nedded in her postings for any other reason than self promotion.
Certainly a coming tour has time in Styria or the post would have most likely never been made.
Most anyone, truly knowledgeable of Austria would know Styrian wines.
Numerous distributors of Austrian wines are found in the USA with many thousands of bottles exported yearly.
Poster asks " What is wrong with letting people know that I host tours? "

Fodors clearly indicates no advertising or solicitation is permitted in their terms of useage.
Poster should adhere to the policy. If not then be removed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -