Reload this Page >

caron de beaumarchais or fleurie?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:46 PM
beth gibbs

hello! i'm trying to decide between the caron de beaumarchais in marais, and the hotel de fleurie in st-germain. this will be my first time in paris, and it's our 10th anniversary! i'm looking for something classically parisienne and romantic. the caron sounds perfect, but the st germain area sounds more "truly french" than the marais---but the marais sounds eclectic and funky, so i can't tell what to do! any thoughts? the price difference isn't a factor. <BR> <BR>thanks!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 06:06 PM
PatD

We just stayed at the Caron de Beaumarchais, and it was a lovely hotel, but the room was very small. The St, Germain area is more "upscale", not so funky - funky means in this case many gays, many young people, alot of things going on in the street all night long, etc, in other words, it is much more active and you never know what will happen next. That makes for interesting experiences if that is what you'r looking for. Some of our favorite resataurants were in the St. Germain area, as are many nice shops. I think for our next visit we will look for a hotel in this area. Either way- if you stay in one area, the other deserves a visit.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 09:30 PM
Surlok

Besides, when you feel like having more fun, Quartier Latin is a few blocks east from the Fleurie. Otherwise, there is night life in Saint Germain, too. Walking by Rue Saint Andre des Arts, or Rue de Buci, which are very lively at night, is wonderful, and also Rue Mouffetard is about six blocks Southeast of the Fleurie. The Flore, le Deux Magots, and many jazz clubs are right in the middle of Saint Germain. <BR> <BR>However, in my view, both, le Marais and Foubourg St. Germain are truly French, although each one by its own fashion... <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 07:52 AM
jane

We recently stayed at the Caron de Beaumarchais and although it was clean and cute it was pretty basic. I have not stayed at the Fleurie but have seen their webiste and I think that if it is a special trip and you are staying for several days I would not opt for the Caron de Beaumarchais.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 08:31 AM
aimee

Beth: I would opt for the St Germain area for the reasons mentioned above. I have not stayed in the Fleurie yet but will be staying there in 2 weeks for my 2 year anniversary. I'll report back upon my return.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 09:05 AM
pasquale

What is the website for the Hotel de Fleurie? I had thought the Caron was a good choice, but maybe not.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Ursula

Pasquale: www.hotel-de-fleurie.com <BR> <BR>Voilà, as easy as that! <BR> <BR>I would choose Hotel de Fleurie, because location is more centrally located.. unless you are a big fan of the Marais district. <BR>I used to live on Rue Grégoire-de-Tours, but on the north side of Blvd. Saint-Germain, whereas the de Fleurie is on the South side.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Phild

I stayed at the Fleurie in 1999. I highly recommend it. The staff was excellent. The rooms, eventhough small, were very well appointed and clean. The location is great too. The rates are very reasonable compared to other hotels. They have a website. If you decide to stay there, I recommend the rustic restaurant 5 or 6 doors down from the hotel. It prepares very simple yet delicious peasant food typical of the villages from the countryside. Their chickory with rocquefort salad is something that I'll never forget! Around the corner from the restauant is a patisserie which bakes an assortment of pastries and breads so beautiful, you would think they are works of art! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 07:04 AM
Russell

Beth: <BR>I've stayed at the Fleurie at least half a dozen times and highly recommend it as well as the neighborhood. The correct website address is http://www.hotel-de-fleurie.tm.fr/home_us.htm. The hard part is getting a reservation. With few exceptions, you will need to try at least several months in advance to get in. The standard doubles are adequate in size, but not huge. The deluxe doubles are about a third larger; not necessary, in my opinion. The Fleurie's rates have climbed noticeably in the last few years. Somehow, they manage to keep the cost of the standards to about $150 and the deluxe about $200. Breakfast is currently 50FF, which is OK, is breads, cheese, fruit, coffee or tea. The patisserie around the corner is Gerard Mulot, on Rue de Seine. I've not tried the rustic restaurant down the street, but recall the name as something like La Savoyarde. Bd. St. Germain is a few steps away and the Odeon Metro Germain maybe two minutes from there. Quite a few good restaurants in the vicinity, starting from the area just south of Place de l'Odeon to north of Bd. St. Germain. I much prefer it to the Marais and think you will, too.