My husband and I are planning to visit Switzerland during the 3rd week of June. We have researched several potential itineraries on different websites, travel forums, etc. to come up with the following itinerary. We want to experience the countryside and also do some scenic tours. We would greatly appreciate your help/suggestions/recommendations.
Day 1 - Arrive at Frankfurt at 3PM. Rent a car and travel to Stuttgart (visit family and friends). Overnight stay in Stuttgart.
Day 2 - Start early morning from Stuttgart and drive by the same rental car to Lauterbrunnen. Tour the surrounding areas, villages, waterfalls etc. Check-in to hotel for overnight stay.
Day 3 - Start early morning for Zermatt. Spend the entire day touring surrounding areas in Zermatt, Matterhorn. Return to Lauterbrunnen for overnight stay.
Day 4 - Check out of hotel in Lauterbrunnen. Drive to Lucerne. Make a trip to the mountains (Pilatus or Titlis). Spend any remaining time exploring the area around mountains or Lucerne. Return to Lucerne and check-in to hotel for overnight stay.
Day 5 - Leave early morning to Chur to catch the Bernina Express, Chur-Tirano. Reach Tirano by 12PM. Take the Bernina Express Bus from Tirano - Lugano at 2PM and reach Lugano by 5PM. Spend few hours in Lugano before returning to Lucerne. (This is going to be the longest day of the tour with significant traveling)
Day 6 - Check out of hotel in morning. Start from Lucerne and drive by car to Zurich to just look around the city for a couple of hours. Start from Zurich by afternoon and drive back to Stuttgart. Overnight stay with family/friends.
Day 7 - Early morning start from Stuttgart and drive by same rental car to Frankfurt. Reach Frankfurt by 10AM, return rental car and catch next flight.
We are planning to book hotels where free parking is available for our rental car. We plan to buy Swiss passes for both of us since we think it will be cheaper than buying tickets for each point A-to-point B journey.
Regarding touring the Lauterbrunnen area, we plan to drive straight to the car park and leave it there until evening on Day 2 till we check-in to the hotel. The plan for Day 3 is tentative: if we feel like spending more time in the Lauterbrunnen area, we will stay there, else we would be doing the day trip to Zermatt.
Please post your comments/suggestions/changes to this itinerary.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tour Company recommendations for St. Petersburg
- 2 The World's Greatest Churches
- 3 Viking Cruise Tours (Barcelona and French Riviera)-- Please Help
- 4 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 5 Slovenia and Croatia in January (Solo)
- 6 Rome, Tuscany & Umbria
- 7 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 8 My France Vacation
- 9 Paris November 2017
- 10 10 days in Cologne Munich Switzerland
- 11 GTG Paris December 2017
- 12 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 13 London vacation rental agency
- 14 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 15 Germany, Switzerland and Paris with teens
- 16 Italy with kids - off the beaten bath
- 17 Trans Siberian Train
- 18 The 2017-18 Ashes thread - up now on the Aussie forum.
- 19 Must See/Do/Eat in Vienna?
- 20 Iceland driving in March
- 21 Advance tickets for Sagrada and Park Guell
- 22 Is Bologna ok for a 3 months stsy?
- 23 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 24 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 25 ICELAND in February