Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help planning Southern Spain / Morocco trip!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all!

My dad and I are going to be in Spain for three weeks in May, one of which is still very much up in the air.

We will be in Barcelona for one week, and then were thinking to go to the south (either Granada or Sevilla), then spend about 4 days in Morocco before heading to Madrid to end our trip.

It seems Granada has something a bit more unique to offer, but can't decide if 3 days is too much in Granada? Is Sevilla better for this amount of time? Or do you have another city in mind you think would be better for people who enjoy a rich cultural/food experience?

After 3 days, we plan to head to Marrakech for 4 days. So, transportation considering, where would you guys recommend for the first 3 days? We'd prefer the transportation between Spain and Morocco to be as short as possible. I know the train/ferry can take up to a day total to get there.

Please help! Any additional tips on places to see, eat, etc. would be helpful too
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 06:03 PM

Four days in Morocco is at least four days too short, but how are you planning to get from Spain to Morocco?

Three days in Granada is too much, IMO. I love Sevilla, hate Madrid.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 06:14 PM
jgg

I would say that three full days in Granada might be a bit much, but one day you could do a daytrip out of the city. We did enjoy Granada more than Seville (but I think that maybe a minority opinion!)
If you are just going to Marrakech then 4 days should be fine. I would consider a daytrip up to the high Atlas. We flew from Barcelona to Marakkech, the one issue is not sure you can fly from Granada to Marrakech, but I believe Ryanair flies from Seville to Marrakech, so that maybe a reason to stay there.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

StCirq, we spent a week in Madrid 2 years ago and I'm not really sure what more there is to see. We are traveling with other family members who haven't been.

Do you suggest 3 days in Sevilla then, or perhaps two then the rest in Morocco?
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks jgg. It's actually proving to be a hassle. I have tried vueling and ryanair for flights but the times are just not working. Do you know of any other low cost airlines to Marrakech?
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 06:46 PM
jgg

I think Iberia flies there as well, but probably not as cheap as Ryanair, but maybe more flights. Ryanair is good if it works with your times, but on some routes they only fly 1-2x per week. We just flew on them from Seville to Marseilles - which they only do on Sundays, but lucky for us that was the day we wanted to fly!
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 10:21 AM

I can't imagine taking time off of Spain for Morroco but if you must..Seville deserves 3 nights minimum and 4 is not too much. Granada is also magical and one of my favorite places in the world but universal consensus seems to be that 2 nights is perfect and three too much unless you love flamenco music. Malaga, Cadiz, and cordoba are also great places. Marrakech is too far to get to without flying. Essouira is also a good place to go. It will be a completely different vibe than Andalucia.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 10:25 AM

I think 3 days is a good amount for Seville. I personally would always choose time in Morocco over time in Spain, though, understanding that others feel otherwise.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 02:58 PM

I just did a similar trip as a family of 4...

Barcelona needs a minimum of 4 days, more if you build in day trips.

Sevilla was fantastic! Depending on travel, Granada is supposed to be comparable. A day trip to Cordoba from either of those is easy and doable.

Madrid doesn't need a ton of time unless you are very into shopping and/art museums. It's super crowded and busy.... very city-like. We did a day trip to Segovia and it was fabulous!

Considering the three week itinerary - why not head to Morocco?

Enjoy!
Old May 31st, 2012, 02:13 PM

StCirq~what did you like about Morocco?
Old May 31st, 2012, 02:20 PM

I'd agree-with 3 weeks and a desire to visit Barcelona, Andalucia and Madrid I'd focus on Spain. You'll find plenty to keep you busy and it will work better logistically.
Old May 31st, 2012, 02:21 PM

tenthumbs,

I like just about everything about Morocco: the scenery, the food, the architecture, the souks, the climate, the people. I find it endlessly fascinating.
Old May 31st, 2012, 02:35 PM

Good to know! We are tentatively planning a day trip there from Marbella (we unfortunately have limited time), and as always, I've heard good and bad.......the "bad" is usually vague, so it's good to read something specific that is "good!"
Old May 31st, 2012, 02:49 PM

Well, what's bad, IMO, is Tangiers.
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:38 PM

tenthumbs-
Probably the "bad" you have heard about Morocco in these forums is to avoid a daytrip to Tangiers.....
Not a reflection on the entire country. But I'd not recommend a daytrip from Spain to visit Tangiers.
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:44 PM

The "bad" I've heard is from acquaintances saying it's dirty and the hustlers are relentless...why would you not recommend a daytrip?
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:58 PM

For the same reason I like many places in Mexico but wouldn't recommend a visit to Tijuana. It's a border town, not indicative on the country. You'll likely be bothered the entire day by very pushy people offering items for sale. For me even the ferry ride over I was bothered by men acting aggressively and making advances.

Personally with only 1 day there are much nicer places I'd prefer to visit in Andalucia where it's easier logistically from Marbella and still very culturally diverse and worth a visit.

Many people find this to be the case with Tangiers. However, there are a few that have done this trip and found it to be fulfilling. I'd also weigh what I am sacrificing in my trip for a daytrip to Tangiers. If it means taking a day from Granada or Sevilla I wouldn't hesitate to skip Tangiers.
Old May 31st, 2012, 04:00 PM

Tangiers is to Morocco what Tijuana is to Mexico. Dirty, chaotic, and full of relentless hustlers. Nothing at all like the rest of the country and possibly leaving such a bad impression you'd not want to return, which would be a mistake.

On the other hand, it does offer a glimpse...and only a glimpse...into some of the exotic charms of the rest of Morocco, and some people (very few, from what I've read) seem to have enjoyed it.

OTOH, I wouldn't consider it a cost-effective use of a travel day.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 08:38 AM

Thank you both for the insight! The analogy of Tijuana is very helpful! My daughter is the one interested in seeing Tangiers, mainly because it is so very different from anyplace she's ever been. I will give her this information and let her decide.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 09:23 AM

We are planning a trip to southern Spain in September/ October and we intend to go to Morocco for a weekend. I have read that Chefchaouen is an interssting place and in Northern Morocco so not too far from Spain. BTW, we are the kind of people who would go to Tijuana, I realize it is a border town and not indicative of all of Mexico but nevertheless we would go to Tijuania.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -