First Trip to England

Search

First Trip to England

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Trip to England

I am planning my first trip to Europe and thought England would be a good start. I am traveling solo and have 4-5 days to play with. Any special advice or information for a solo first-time visitor to the UK?
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Well, tell us what you enjoy? What you're wanting to experience?

Where are you traveling from?

Why only 4 or 5 days?
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 10:40 AM

If you only have 4-5 days, you'd probably be best to stay in London and maybe do one day trip outside of town to someplace like Windsor or Hampton Court. You could easily spend weeks in London alone and not run out of things to see. Since this is your first trip, I would suggest starting with the "classics" - Tower of London, Buckingham Palace (open to the public in August-September, you didn't say when you were going), Kensington Palace, British Museum, V&A Museum, National Gallery, the London parks, Westminster Abbey, St. Pauls Cathedral. Fortunately there is TONS of info on line to help you plan, both here at Fodors and elsewhere, just Google any of the above attractions for details, also the British & London Tourist Authorities and VisitLondon.com.

Just beware that London and the UK is a very expensive place to visit, assuming you are American, plan to pay about double for hotels, food, and shopping compared to the U.S. The dollar-pound exchange rate is not in our favor.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 02:44 AM

England would be a good place to start for your forthcoming trip to Europe. You don't say how long you have altogether and which other countries you're planning to visit. But do remember that London is NOT typical of the rest of England. Like any capital city it's busy, touristy and expensive. To capture a slice of England (as long as you're not a great museum/gallery fan) you may want to consider other parts of the country.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 04:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
need a bit more data, interest, time of year etc.

London is big and expensive but full of things to do.

Edinburgh is much smaller and more reasonable and might be more the thing. At least when you get home you will have different stories than every one else.

So what do you like to do and when are you going?
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

First of all, thanks to all for the great responses and tips! A few more details I should have included in my original post: I actually have 7 days (just after New Year's), but did not want to include my travel days on either end, so I actually have 5 days to fill with stuff to do and see. I think I have decided on Thistle Charing Cross as I have heard great reviews and it is so centrally located to many attractions. I suppose my main interest is in seeing some of the major attractions (Big Ben, Windsor Catle, Stonehenge, as well as the museums, shops and theaters), while I'm there. I'd love some recommendations as to whether it is wise to rent a car and do 1 or 2 day trips on my own, or perhaps sign up for a more formal, guided tour, as I'm going solo. I'd also love some restauarant recommendations, if you have any. Thanks for all the information!
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Are there any holidays that you have to plan around while you are there? Boxing or is it Boxer Day comes to mind but I've never been there in January so not sure. Maybe someone else can comment. Deborah
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 10:05 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Five days in London will be barely enough to scratch even a bit of the surface - let alone thinking of a couple of days out of the city. And January days are very short and the weather could be bad. So I definitely would not recommend renting a car to explore out and about.

Whether it is worth doing a day trip to Stonehenge only you can decide. For some it is a dream come true, for others a total snooze. But if you do decide to visit Stonehenge, just take the train to Salisbury and then either a local bus or a guided tour from there.

W/ another day trip to Windsor, it is very likely you won't have time for Salisbury/Stonehenge too. But you can decide that after you are in London.

The Thistle Charing X is a great location right in the center of the city and walking distance to a lot of sites. (the Eye, Big Ben/Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Covent Garden, Trafalgar Sq/National Gallery, Leicester Sq/Piccadilly Circus/theatres.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 10:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
DeborahAnn: The OP is asking about January. Boxing Day is the day after Christmas . . . . .
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 11:38 AM

In London take one of the many bus tours (hop on hop off- ticket valid for 24 hrs) as this will help to orientate you and you can get off at wherever interests you. I'd suggest that a trip out to Salisbury/Stonehenge will not be very pleasurable in Jan. The days can be cold (sometimes even snow)and are certainly short- going dark by 4.30pm. It seems a long way to go....
I think you'd enjoy Windsor Castle or maybe a day out in Oxford- frequent coaches from Victoria bus station. Both places have lots to do and see and good shopping if the weather isn't great.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 12:07 PM

janis, a "box" full of apologies, I thought it came right after New Years Anyway, when planning a first trip check the calendar for holidays Deborah