Search

Elvira et all

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 08:43 AM
Art

Elvira et all

I just finnished reading the New to the Forum column and I have to say that I've never seen such a collection of babies in my life(not all of you). This forum the best that I've seen on travel. If you don't like what someone has to say, ignore it. I'm grateful for every response. Many of you such as Dave, Elvira, Maira(I can't remember other names right now) expend a lot of effort trying to be helpful and I appreciate it. Some of you (mostly anonymous) like to just pick at people. That's not the focus of this forum. If you are going to complain about other people than don't be cowards. Give your actual name and E-Mail address or better still go away. <BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 09:39 AM
me

Thanks Art! I absolutely agree! There are many people who contribute on a regular basis and their posts are very helpful. Perhaps someone has had a different experience than Elvira - she has never said her way is the only way - she's just answering the question based on her experience. Her answer are witty and informative and I look forward to them along with those of Paulo, BOB and others. <BR> <BR>If everyone's expereience was the same, there would be no need for a forum - we'd all have exactly the same meal in the same place wearing the same thing - how boring! <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 10:18 AM
Cindy

Art, you really said it, and I agree. I genuinely appreciate the posts of the knowledgeable group of regulars on this board. Besides, if we drive away the people who have substantial experience, then we'll be left with the snipers, pickers, nasties, complainers, whiners, psychos, and potty-mouths, not to mention the phastasizers. You get the idea. <BR> <BR>Elvira, Rex, Neal, Paulo, Bob and all the rest, please keep helping us and thank you for your infinite patience.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 10:40 AM
Seeya

Yes, yes, please keep blowing smoke in our faces and up our arses, Elvira! Wow, maybe we could actually meet in her person someday, but her putrid smoker's breath would undoubtedly knock us all over. Bring your gas masks. <BR> <BR>Now let's all check out her rantings because of course she'll be unable to resist posting here, just as soon as she finishes sucking down that cigarette! See below: <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 10:47 AM
Smiley

O.K., please lay off Elvira! If you were overweight and unattractive, with no husband or children, you'd spend all your time trying to get away from your own life too, by traveling or posting on the internet all day. It might almost make your life seem meaningful.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 12:09 PM
Art

The privious 2 postings are perfect examples of what I was saying. Nitwits and cowards who have nothing to contribute but just complain about those who do. <BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 12:12 PM
martha python

Smiley, <BR>So no spouse or children = meaningless life? Hey, thanks for the tip! <BR>At least I already knew that it was every woman's obligation to be thin and attractive.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 12:45 PM
Gail

Well Art, since you posted this topic to complain about complainers, I'll throw in my two cents. There's a certain element on this board who inevitably descend into name-calling when they are unable to discuss or debate intelligently. Take your own advice Art, and IGNORE it if you don't like it.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 12:47 PM
snake

Ahhhhh, whatsamatta martha snakegirl, strike a nerve under your flab? Don't get your knickers in a twist. There's always Jenny Craig.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 01:00 PM
noarmsnolegs

Well, having read all this I must say that it seems hypocritical of Art to tell others to ignore posts with which they disagree, while he goes on to call everyone with whom HE disagrees "babies." O.K. Art, exactly how is that ignoring what you don't like? Oh wait a minute, you meant for everyone ELSE to just shut up while YOU get worked up over what YOU don't like!

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 01:40 PM
Paul J

People! People!! <BR> <BR>What ever happened to civility???....Paul J <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 03:02 PM
sandi

She belongs to the "doomsday" cult. And that is what we will all be, "doomed" if we have to read her diatribes. Wonder what else she does with her spare time? Besides travel, that is. Oh yeah? She types for the Forum.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 03:37 PM
Lori

I for one enjoy Elvira's postings very much. She's certainly never said one must do what she does - she's gives plenty of good advise and is witty along with it - why knock that? As for her smoking, that's her choice. I'm a non-smoker and that probably annoys others but we all make our choices. (sure I prefer to be among non-smokers but that does not mean one must be nasty to those who do smoke). If someone's comments or style of input on the Forum is not to your liking just don't read them, no one is forcing anyone to read everything on this Forum. <BR> <BR>I look forward to seeing what Elvira has to say on certain subjects, she is never mean or spiteful in her answer either. I have no idea who Elvira is or what she does in the way of employment, personal life, etc. but the fact that she takes the time to answer inquiries is wonderful, frankly we need more like her out there. Most of the regulars on this Forum are great folks, I've even gotten to know a few "off the Forum". Those few that feel "picking" on Elvira (or anyone else) is OK need to find something else to do with their spare time.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 04:25 PM
cough

Mean and spiteful...yeah that's Elvira all right, any time you challenge her "right" to smoke anywhere, any time, non-smoking section or not, regardless of who is around her. You obviously have not read some of her older comments. She is absolutely shrill. <BR> <BR>If she cut that drug habit of hers she'd have more money to travel, and we wouldn't be subjected to her financial whinings here, or the stench of her if we ever happen to encounter her anywhere.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 04:53 PM
Susan

Reading this thread, I feel like someone who stops to look at a car accident. I can't believe how cruel and negative people are!! I appreciate the notes from most of the regulars. That doesn't mean I agree with everything, but so what. Doesn't travel teach us to exercise some degree of tolerance?

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 06:19 PM
Dr. Fordor

Wowza! The siren on my computer called me to this one. Dear Art, first off, if you have a post, don't use someone else's name to attract attention. When I saw this I thought, "oh great, Elvira is going to share her latest travel plans." But then there was you, using her name to attract attention, and to boot, drawing criticism to the 'no-names' amongst us. And now what's happened is that our darling, our very favorite person (smoking or no (I mean, is some kind of smoke blowing out your computer or some other place in the small room that you inhabit)is the target of negative rantings). Now that we've given Virginia a break on 'What to wear so I don't look like a tourist,' we now turn our attention to this? Please, must I resort to finding a padded room? There is a solution in the works, stay tuned. <BR> <BR>God Bless, <BR>Betty

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 06:41 PM
Cindy

Ah, well, Betty, I think we have to cut Art a break here. He was trying to be nice, and apparently, he is in a rapidly shrinking minority. <BR> <BR>I hope you can work out a solution. Maybe we should just have a thread called "Nasty, mean, hateful and spite." All of the mean people can say horrid things about anyone they don't like (and each other), and the rest of us will pledge never to read it. After all, if a post is on the board, and no nice people read it, does it make a sound? Food for thought.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 07:08 PM
B. Fordor

Well put Cindy. I have come to really appreciate you. If I wanted to email you back, would all those xxx's get me there? But you know, it doesn't matter because right here now is all that matters, real names or not, what comes through is what comes through and we live with it, better yet, I think we love it, the mystery, the release of steam and tension, the conjuring of imagination takes us in all sorts of directions and that's how we explore the world. The no-names need a place. I'll look to find them a spot. <BR>Betty

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 09:44 AM
kk

I love Elvira's postings and have always thought it was clear many people do. As a matter of fact, there are two in this thread that I think she issued, in a tongue in cheek way. The two that are back to back, the first one saying....see below. They were very witty, as is she. <BR>Good also to see Dr. Fordor back. <BR>As for my no name posting, I used to post under my name and work email. Started to rethink the wisdom of that and then transmogrified a few weeks back into my current "handle." A few people have asked if this new one is me and I have fessed up. Anyone who pays attention/cares could figure it out. The down side, of course, is missing out on the occasional (nice) personal email I used to get out of the blue. Oh well, one makes one's choices.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 09:59 AM
Rex

All this mutual admiring and despising! I had to weight in, if for no other reason than to say thanks to Cindy for labelling me as helpful. I hope I am helful once for every time I am self-serving (and/or cynical and sarcastic). <BR> <BR>Like other regulars here, I would lay down my life for Elvira (though I might flick a cig outa her mouth). And for other psychobabble types here, I would ... well... that's private. <BR> <BR>And for Dr. Fordor, yes, do come back, daily. To Giverny, a dejeuner sur l'herbe, whatever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -