Search

Special gift from Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Special gift from Madrid

Hi,
My Mom and mother-in-law are going to Madrid. (They're going with a group which will also include my husband's x-step-mom. That's right, his mom and a woman that was once married to his dad...doesn't that sound interesting!)

Anyway, my Mom wants to bring back a little something for me and I have no idea what Madrid has to offer. Leather...textiles...shoes...?? What would you recommend? I'm not much of a fashionista given my stay-at-home mom in Seattle lifestyle. But I do like a bit of flare. Budget is something under 100 euros. Thanks! (And I hope my Mom and Mother-in-law still like each other at the END of the trip!)
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:30 PM

They are buying this gift for you? Shoes would be tough. Perhaps a leather jacket, or a sweater. I have a lovely cardigan I bought in Madrid, out of necessity, because it was colder than I expected. Shopping for it was fun---it had to learn to say in Spanish, "short, long sleeves, with buttons, small" . It is very cute and stylish. Perhaps you could suggest a category and leave the choice up to them?
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 09:30 PM

Hi adventuretwin, how about a purse? Spain has some lovely leather goods and with a purse you don't have to worry about if it will fit you or not. That is what a friend of mine purchased for her daughter when they went to Spain a couple of years ago. Of course I am assuming your mother would know what type of style you would enjoy.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 03:01 AM

Gloves are also good buys in Spain. And if you have a shop close to you that sells Camper shoes, and if you like their designs,you could try them on to get an idea of size and then let the Moms bring home the same or similar style for you. These shoes are made in Spain and sell for much more money in the US; their styles are very youthful. www.camper.com.

Sherry, brandy, saffron and olive oil are other ideas.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 03:40 AM

Loewe, darling, Loewe!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 03:53 AM

Yes but Loewe might be too expensive. Ditto a cape from Sesena!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:55 AM

Loewe may be very expensive, sweetie darling, but worth every pence. I bought a absolutely gorjus Loewe wallet in Madrid back in 1998. I use it daily and it still looks brand new. You get what you pay for.

Chin up, sweetie.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:08 AM

Shoes and anything leather are good in Spain. I don't know if this will be your style, but I personally love Camper shoes. They are fashionable, very comfortable, though perhaps not all that elegant. Their price is from 55 to 140 euros in the Spanish shops.

Check out http://www.camper.es to see the entire collection, perhaps you can choose a pair before they go
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:10 AM

An interesting shopping list:

http://www.departures.com/bb/bb_1104_madrid.html
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:34 AM

An item that is very good in Spain and easy to pack is Olive Oil. Tell your Mom and/or MIL to get to the basement of El Corte Ingles department store located in Gran Via-Puerta del Sol neighborhood. The food store/supermarket section is filled with great Spanish goods that make wonderful souvenirs. Tell her not to get cheesses nor meat products (customs restrictions). Spanish Olive Oil is a great souvenir gift, I get great kudos from my G/fs every time I bring them back some.

Also, damasquinado pins or earrings. This is a very unique Spanish type of craft jewerly, very typical of Toledo, but yoy can find some nice pieces in Madrid stores. They dressed up an outfit very nicely with their beautiful, whimsical designs.

Leather goods is a good idea, but I wouldn't buy leather shoes for another person; the variations on leather manufacturing and material makes it kind of risky just to go by size. She can go to a store called Artesanias Reyes, off Gran Via, they have gorgeous linens handcrafted by Toledo crafters and at great prices. Tell her to ask for the Christmas linens, they are wonderful and at great prices. Once again, very easy to pack. Hope your family have a great trip to Spain!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 04:41 PM

Majorica pearls would fit within this budget and also be easy to carry and they wouldn't have to worry about the right size. You could even go to Nordstrom in Seattle first and check out what you might like and they might be able to find some similar there. I bought some on my way out of Madrid at the duty free shop, but they might be able to do quite well in the shops in Madrid.

(You should tell us about this trip when they get back--sounds like it may be very interesting!)
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 09:02 PM

I would ask for either leather gloves. I wish I could recommend stores, but I have no names. Do not get a mantón de manila there. . . they are so much nicer in the South.

I always bring back posters from the Prado.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 12:56 AM

Hola

How about ceramics? Antigua Casa Talavera:Isabel la Católica 2: Metro: Santo Domingo. This place is fantastic. Some really nice, non tourist quality ceramics. "The first house of Spanish ceramics" has wares that include a sampling of regional styles from every major area of Spain, including Talavera, Toledo, Manises, Valencia, Puente del Arzobispo, Alcora, Granada, and Seville. Sangria pitchers, dinnerware, tea sets, plates, and vases are all handmade. At its present location since 1904 (worth visiting just to admire the facade), the shop is only a short walk from Plaza de Santo Domingo. Open Monday to Friday from 10am to 1:30pm and 5 to 8pm, Saturday from 10am to 1:30pm

Adios