Sofia's House in Symi?

Search

Sofia's House in Symi?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sofia's House in Symi?

We are planning to stay in a "restored mansion" called Sofia's House on the harbor in Harani on the island of Symi in June. Supposedly it is owned by an Italian film producer and is supposed to be beautiful. Does anyone know anything about it? My travel agent couldn't say enough good things about it, but my husband is anxious that it won't be relaxing because it is on the harbor, everything around it looks expensive, there is no large deck overlooking the water, it is not air-conditioned...Does anyone have any knowledge of the place? thanks!
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 03:22 AM

Oh - look, don't know. But don't understand your hubbie's objections. Everything around it looks expensive? please explain. It won't be relaxing because it is on the barbour - you mean it won't be quiet? No large deck? - if it's a mansion and on the harbourfront why should it have a deck? Not a/c - well - can't see it would matter the slightest in June.

Repeat - you do not need air conditioning in June. August, maybe.

What are your alternatives? Somewhere way up in hills - might have that a/c; might have a deck; might or might not be quiet - but it'll be a long way from the water. And might just be a concrete breeze-block sort of place.

What are the alternatives you are considering?

Symi is (was) absolutely sublime.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your response, Fuzzylogic. You have good questions. Glad to know it won't be too hot around mid-June, so the fans there should be fine. I think what my hubby was was hoping for was something quiet where he could wake up in the morning and languish for hours over his breakfast on a balcony overlooking the water. That seems to be something he truly enjoys when we are away on a warm weather vacation. At this point I have not looked at other alternatives because at first glance Sofia's House looked great. Because we are bringing our 23 and 26 year old daughters with us, I am also wanting something close to the "action" so they can go to a taverna at night and get back pretty easily. My desire is to stay at a relatively quiet place where it is easy to catch transportation to beaches/towns in other parts of the island. Do you have any thoughts as to what might satisfy us all?
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 11:02 AM

Symi is a lovely island!!
Tell your husband not to worry that the house is on the harbour because at Sumi the harbour is the place to be! The view is great with lots of neoclassical buildings and i'm sure that you'll enjoy your stay there.
Symi is not a crowded island and especially in June it must be very serene.

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for reply. I feel much better about my decision, and am confident that my hubby will be pleasantly pleased once he is in this serene place and can relax! Because we are spending a week in one place (which is not that usual when we travel), I really wanted it to be right. I am so glad to hear that we should be missing the crowds and the more uncomfortable heat. I will let you know how it goes!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:55 AM

We visited Symi in the summer - loveley place! I have some photos if you want - just let me know where to send them.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 05:23 PM

Well to be honest you it will be very hot in June in Symi, aircon will be very useful. I stayed on the island in June last year and it was very busy compared with the nearby islands of Tilos and Nysiros. It is crowded out with daytrippers and package tour Brits, Ag. Nikolaos beach was very crowded even though daytrippers do not get there.
Transport is pretty good on the island with a small minibus and boats to various beaches.