I am new to the forum and am trying to plan a trip for my husband and I for our one year anniversary. We are thinking May 2 or 3, leaving May 19. I have been to Italy in college for 5 weeks, but my husband has not been anywhere in Europe. He's Italian, so Italy is high on his list. I would never complain about going back, but of course I'd love to see new places. Oh and as far as interests--we want to see beautiful sights and eat amazing food. Not super into hiking--would rather a tram or gondola if possible. I hiked Cinque Terrae about 6 years ago, and I struggled haha
1. I know I am biting off more than I can chew trying to squeeze all this in with my dates. If I could get any suggestions on what to skip, what to do, and/or how many days to allot for each place, that would be great!
2. Considering the locations and amount of time we will be in Europe (and insane flight costs), is $10,000-11,000 an unrealistic budget? We want safe, clean, and air conditioned hotels. Hoping to use points to cover some of our flight costs.
Here is my wish list:
1. Fly into Munich, Germany (Dachau is a must; Neuschwanstein day trip would be amazing)
2. Salzburg, Austria
3. Switzerland (I'm flexible on locations--still in researching process. Was thinking just one or all of these if possible--Interlaken, Zurich, Grindlewald, and Lucerne)
4. Venice, Italy
5. Florence (This is the lowest on my priority list)
6. Rome (This is highest on my husband's list)
7. A day trip to Pompeii; sleep in Piano de Sorrento; a day in Capri
Then fly out of Rome.
I realize that Italy and the other countries should be broken into two separate trips, but if there is a realistic way to do a little mix of Italy/other countries, I would be so happy. I've been trying to look up travel times, but I feel like you all have more experience with this and can give me a better timeline.
Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 European Christmas Markets Itinerary
- 2 Family vacation
- 3 Tips for first trip to UK
- 4 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 5 GTG Paris December 2017
- 6 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 7 Dubrovnik
- 8 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 9 Yet another London Hotel Question
- 10 How many miles is a good 'walking tour'?
- 11 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 12 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 13 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 14 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 15 Christmas in South of Spain 2018
- 16 Spain December/ January 2018/19
- 17 which language school in Italy?
- 18 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 19 Driving
- 20 3 weeks driving the Netherlands
- 21 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 22 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 23 Christmas Markets 2017
- 24 Budget trip
- 25 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!