Search

The parents and the kids go to Florence and Rome

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The parents and the kids go to Florence and Rome

Hi,

We are taking our parents for a long awaited trip to Florence and Rome. Like always, this is the forum that I turn to for help. I would need help with buses, trains, restaurant recommendations...and in getting my head around the itinerary.

Just a little background…my parents are 70 and 64 and the kids are 35. My parents are kind of active, however would find walking three - four hours in a day a bit of a stretch. Unlike our previous trips we would have to use a lot more taxis and public transport.

18th October: leave from London to Pisa (in Pisa at 9:15am)

Take a taxi from Pisa airport to the Field of Miracles. We plan to spend about an hour there and then take a taxi back to Pisa station.

- There are couple of places that we can get the train from- the airport and the station. Which would be better. Is it better to pre-book the tickets and stick to that. Or should we leave it for the last minute?

I was checking the 11:32 train on trenitalia and it mentions two stations for the same time for the train to Florence, what does that mean?

We have booked in for a night at Hotel Casci in Florence after reading its reviews on trip advisor. The plan is to be there by 1:00.

Is there a place around Hotel Casci where I could get good slices of Pizza/ paninis? We would like to get a quick meal.

We have the reservation at Academia for 4:30. My parents would rest for a couple of hours. I on the other hand am hoping to go to the Medici Chapels. I have been to Florence twice before and absolutely LOVE IT!!! However in both my trips I haven't made it either to the Medici Chapel nor the Pitti Palace.

I am hoping for a quick trip for a couple of hours and be back by four to pick up my parents.

We plan to spend a couple of hours in Academia and then take a taxi to Piazzale Michelangelo for the sunset. - if someone could give me an approximate idea about how much our taxi rides would cost...that would be great. Do we fix beforehand...or do we use metered taxis?

We would then like to go for dinner. We are looking to spend about 75-100 euros for the three of us. Also we are all vegetarians -so restaurants specializing in sea food are out...anything else is good. I had read amazing things about Restaurant called Leo on this board and tried looking for it last time we were in Florence...however it seems to have closed down.

19th October:

Rick Steves audio walk of the city - it is two hour walk...which is quite good. Last time we were in Florence we had taken the three hour Artviva - Original Florence Walk and can't recommend it enough. However for my parents I thought that an audio tour would be better as they can do it at their own pace.

We plan to go the Pitti Palace after the walk (if my parents are up to it).

I have read great things about Trattoria Tre Soldi- both on Trip advisor and through a friend...however it seems a little far from the main city. Is it worth the trek...or can we find similarly great options for lunch...closer to where we would be going?

How is Osteria del Cinghiale Bianco...it is quite close to Pitti Palace and might work for us, if we decide to go there.

19th afternoon we plan to take an afternoon train to Rome and be in Rome by 4:00.

Our Apartment link:
http://romewithahome.com/thegreenfrogapartment/

We have had very good communication with the owner till now. She has been extremely gracious and we are really looking forward to our stay here. I was extremely keen to get an apartment close to Piazza Navona and something with an elevator and two bathrooms. This apartment looks perfect for our needs.

For 19th evening we have an 20:15 appointment for Vatican by the night. Last time we were in Rome we chose not to go with the night tour because we felt that it would not cover a few things we wanted to see. However for my parents who can't continuously walk for hours on end...I thought this would be perfect...and they seem to agree. Also it would give us an opportunity to do both the day and night tour.

We need to get a quick dinner- maybe Pizza for this night. Is there anything near our apartment where we could get a quick pizza from?

20th October:

We wanted to keep the morning free to relax and walk around buy some groceries.

We have a 2:00pm reservation at Armando Al Pantheon. Have read it being recommended by quite a few posters here and it seems like a great place. Can't believe it they have a separate vegetarian menu!!

We then have a 5:00pm reservation at Borghese. This is probably my favourite museum and I can't wait for my parents to see.

We are hoping to get some things from the market and cook at home tonight. After dinner we plan to go to the Trevi fountain if my parents are up to it. Or just G and I would go.

21st October:

We plan to visit the Colosseum/ Forum and Palentine Hill today. However my parents can probably just visit the Colosseum as they may not be able to go up and down in the forum. Last time we did regret not getting a tour for Ancient Rome. Now the problem is that my Husband and I were hoping to take the 1:30 pm tour with Context Rome. My parents can't do a four hour tour. Our tour would cover Colosseum- and my parents would want to go to for that but not the rest. I don't know how we do this.

Go to Castel Sant'Angelo for sunset views over the city.

Any restaurant recommendations for today would be really welcome.

22nd October:

The plan is to do the Rick Steves audio tour of the Pantheon in the morning. We then plan to visit St Peters sometime during the day.

We would again need restaurant recommendations for today.

We are looking to spend around 50-60 euros for lunch and about 100 euros (without drinks) for dinners. If we can get one special restaurant recommendation that would be great.

Please let me know if you think this itinerary would work. Should we get the Roma pass? Are there easy links to public transportation from where our apartment is? If yes, are there any buses that would take us to the Vatican, trastevere area, Colosseum etc . Is there a website where we can look at the bus time tables?

We would welcome suggestions for anything that you feel might make our trip better.
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 06:01 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>Take a taxi from Pisa airport to the Field of Miracles. We plan to spend about an hour there and then take a taxi back to Pisa station.<<<

I don't think this is practical unless you intend to pay the taxi to wait an hour or two (your luggage). I think you should hop the train at the airport to Pisa Centrale (5 minutes by train) and store your luggage at the train station. You can either taxi or take the bus from Centrale to the tower (there are frequent buses).

From Pisa to Florence, you don't want to buy Trenitalia tickets in advance as this route is mostly served by the old, slow R trains. There are restrictions on R trains tickets when bought in advance and there is no advantage to buying them ahead of time (no discounts, no reserved seating on these trains).
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 06:15 AM

>>>19th afternoon we plan to take an afternoon train to Rome and be in Rome by 4:00.<<<

Will your hotel store your luggage until then? You need to allow time to go back and retrieve it.

>>>Should we get the Roma pass? Are there easy links to public transportation from where our apartment is?<<

Did you say where the apartment is located? I think you are a bit over scheduled and will need to take taxis instead of public transport so I can't see the Roma Pass being of value on this trip. Be prepared to drop some things from your schedule.

FYI - Tickets on R trains must be validated before boarding. The faster trains don't need to be (any ticket that has a seat assignment doesn't need validation and will be checked on board).
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi kybourbon...thanks a lot for your response. We are planning to take the luggage with us in Pisa. It would not be much...three small roll on bags...it will not be a problem. Thanks for confirming that we don't need to reserve tickets in advance.

Here is the link to the Rome apartment:

http://romewithahome.com/thegreenfrogapartment/

If you have any idea about transport...please do let us know...we will be open to take both.

I thought it was quite a relaxed trip apart from the Florence portion...we are just doing one big thing in a day...so we thought it wasn't that rushed...

Any restaurant recommendations?
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 07:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you really don't want to take your luggage to the field
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 07:52 AM

"We plan to visit the Colosseum/ Forum and Palentine Hill today. However my parents can probably just visit the Colosseum as they may not be able to go up and down in the forum. Last time we did regret not getting a tour for Ancient Rome. Now the problem is that my Husband and I were hoping to take the 1:30 pm tour with Context Rome. My parents can't do a four hour tour. Our tour would cover Colosseum- and my parents would want to go to for that but not the rest. I don't know how we do this."

There are at least 4 of you or more?

Context is great but I see the Palatine Hill as the main problem on their tour for your parents.

How about booking a private tour with someone that only covers the Colosseum and Roman Forum?

It would be a shame for your parents to miss the Forum, would they really have a problem with the ramped main entrance on the Via d. Fori Imperiali (exiting back up the ramp that is)?

If not, a guide could point-out, explain and tell stories while they and you are sitting in front of the Temple of Julius located at the bottom of the ramp?

Or at this point if they don't have a problem they could walk around the football-sized Roman Forum Sq. with the guide?

While limited to this flat area meaning not walking-up the sloped Via Sacra they would only miss basically the Arch of Titus up close and the inside of the Basilica of Maxentius/Constantine.
Regards, Walter
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Walter...what you have suggested makes a lot of sense. I have just written to a few other guides that have been recommended on this forum...hopefully someone would be available. As it is kind of last minute now...I might have to go with a group tour.

I was also reading about booking separately for the Colosseum underground level...it would add up quite a bit to the costs. Is it worth it?

Any suggestions about the transport options available to us...and the restaurant recommendations?
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Is my post too long winded...should I break my questions down and post in a separate thread?
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 03:20 AM

I'm attaching a site to a very nice looking veggie restaurant in Rome. It looked wonderful but we didn't eat there as we easily found vegetarian options almost everywhere (I eat dairy).

As a trivia note - it's on the street that Gregory Peck's character had his apartment in 'Roman Holiday'; looks considerably more upscale today.

http://www.ilmarguttavegetariano.it/
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 04:29 AM

Do not break up your questions into separate posts. It is much easier to follow if your plans are contained in one post.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 06:03 AM

Your apartment link for Rome doesn't include location.

19th
Check out of hotel ?
2 hour Florence walking tour
Pitti Palace - more walking
Retrieve luggage and get to train station
Train to Rome
Get transport to apartment, check in
Get transport to Vatican
2 hour Vatican tour

That is over scheduled, even for people that don't have trouble walking. When do you plan to have a meal?

You can book your Florence/Rome train tickets online in advance and possibly get a discount. Read some of the posts about booking online as Trenitalia can have some quirks. You can also purchase at the train station in Pisa or Florence when you arrive.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...0080a3e90aRCRD

I really can't see how the Roma Pass would benefit you. To get the value of the pass (30€), you need to use the free entrances for the more expensive sites such as Borghese (you've already booked this) and Colosseum. The Colosseum/Palantine/Forum entrance ticket is 12€ and good for two days.

The only other place you list with a fee is Castel Sant'Angelo (about 7€). I'm not sure your sunset plan is practical. It closes at 7:30 and last entrance is 6:30.

If you really plan to use a lot of public transport, a 3 day transport pass might be beneficial(16.50€)although I think you will taxi. The little electric lines that run through the center are handy (go all the way to the Borghese).
http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=9

You can figure out public transport on ATAC's route finder.
http://www.atac.roma.it/index.asp?lingua=ENG
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot lucyp for the restaurant recommendation...though like you I haven't been to a completely vegetarian restaurant after once trying one in Tokyo. I have always managed to find at least a couple of vegetarian dishes in most restaurants. I have formed an image that most purely vegetarian places end up being bland and flavourless. So I try my hardest to avoid them . We eat dairy and eggs...so any restaurant is good for us.

Any comments about the apartment, transport...any other restaurant recommendations?

mamcalice...I felt that too...that is why I tried posting everything on this single post. However I do realise that it is a very long post and not everyone would have the patience to read through it.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Kybourbon thanks a lot for your detailed reply...

The apartment is in the same building as these others:

http://www.residenzagiubbonari.com

I am sorry for not realising this earlier and going on and on about transportation…

Just to clarify

- The two hour walking tour of the city is an audio tour...the whole idea is to see the Duomo and the Piazza Della Signoria...everything else is optional.

- The Pitti palace is on our wish list...but by no means essential...we will drop it if my parents feel even the least bit tired. They want to feel fresh and rested for their evening tour...and know they can't over do it.

We have requested for our luggage to be kept in the hotel...so after the walk (no Pitti palace ...most likely) we will get back to the hotel. Get a taxi to the station and take the train to Rome.

We plan to get in to Rome by 2:00 at the latest. As for lunch...I did ask for a Pizza slice recommendation...the plan is to eat on the train.

We plan to be at the apartment by 2:30. Dinner that night would be home cooked (which my husband would have prepared as he's getting to Rome at 11:00 in the morning).

We plan to take a bus/ taxi (whatever is easier at about 7:00...for our 8:15pm tour of the Vatican).

As for the Roma pass- I have just made a booking and not paid for the ticket. We got the Roma pass last time and thought it worked really well for us.

We would definitely be going to the Forum/ Palentine Hill and Colosseum and along with Castel Sant'Angelo it might work this time as well.

The sun set is around 6:20pm...why wouldn't a 7:30 closing time work for us...maybe it would be ideal to stay a bit longer...but I am sure we would still get some pretty splendid views...if it is a good sunny day...isn't it?
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 08:30 AM

I believe the apartment is a few blocks west of Campo dei Fiori on Via dei Giubbonari, yes?

I STRONGLY recommend this place for a dinner - not "quick" but exquisite food, including some exciting vegetarian options. It's mid-way between the Vatican and Piazza Navona on charming Via dei Coronari. Worth arranging your schedule to make a pre-planned tour to eat here. Really, go.

http://www.ristorantesangallo.com/
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Yes it is on Via Dei Giubbonari

Thanks a lot Bardo...I just tried calling them to book for 21st night...but couldn't get through. Will call again tomorrow around noon and try again.

Would you also know of quick bus connections close to the apartment?
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Just asking a few of my questions again:

- any places around Hotel Casci where we can get good panini or slices of pizza.
- any restaurant recommendation in Florence
- I have written to quite a few private tour guides...however apart from one who is busy...no one else has gotten back to me. I was looking at tripadvisor Rome tours section and some of the reviews just seem over the top. Also quite a few are first time reviewers. Does any one here have personal experience with any of the tour companies mentioned there?
- How much difference does it make to visit the lower levels of the colloseum
- any direct buses to the Vatican, borghese, colosseum, Spanish steps, Trevi fountain etc. from where our apartment is?

Thanks for all your help till now...really appreciate it.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 02:00 PM

There are many direct buses to all the spots in Rome you named and more. Your apartment is a few blocks walk to Largo Argentina - a major bus transfer station. About 20 different bus lines stop there.

http://www.atac.roma.it/index.asp?p=2 click on and print out maps for "Rome centro" and "Linee elettriche" using Adobe Acrobat.

No suggestions for pizza restaurants near your Florence hotel - we went for seafood and meat our four days there. There ARE a lot of pizzarias and I imagine some are very good and others very bad. You need to be careful in such a highly touristed area as you'll be. Good luck researching - especially vegetarian in Florence. Googling "vegetarian Florence" yielded a bunch of places near your hotel but I know nothing about them.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 04:01 PM

Hi Rajshiv, as my husband is a big carnivore so we tend to veggie friendly but not solely veggie restaurants. In Rome we liked Dar Poeta in Trastevere, take out pizza etc. from Forno in Campo de Fiori... but actually generally we let hunger and locale guide us.

If you stay a few streets back from the main sights the food tends to generally be very good we found.

As for transportation - we walked everywhere, many kilometres every day, the best way to experience the city. We took buses and trams otherwise as we were not in an area convenient to the subway lines. We are, I might add, much closer in age to your folks than yourselves. If they don't have serious mobility problems perhaps you might be over estimating their having trouble on long walks?

Tickets are cheap and available at any Tabac shop; never felt any need for a pass.
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Hi lucyp...thanks a lot for your recommendation of Dar Poeta...

Last time we were in Rome we lived in Trastevere...and loved it...however never got around to getting to Dar Poeta...hopefully this time we would.

My mum hasn't been keeping too well off late and that has to some extent depleted her energies...but hopefully getting to Rome...a life long dream for her will re-energise her.

There is another restaurant recommendation that I found on a few trip reports here for i Clementini, near Coloseum. After reading the reviews and looking at the pictures I am seriously thinking about going there.
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

I am sorry...posted before I meant to...This place is acrss the street from across road to the Basilica di San Clemente. Has anayone been there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -