Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Siena's Palio Horse Race...anyone been there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We leave in 2 days for Tuscany.

Siena's Palio Horse Race will take place next week. I know it will be crowded.

HAve you been there during the race? Is it worth seeing? Any tips?

Thanks

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 10:22 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34385496

Here's one thread about the Palio; to find others like it, type "siena AND palio" into the text box at the top of this page.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 10:35 AM

we were there about 5 years ago. amazing experience, both before and after. we had dinner in the town center where the race is run the night before, and it was well worth it. we decided to watch the race on tv, and went back to town after. the race itself is very violent, which we weren't expecting. be prepared for very rowdy (drunk) crowds, but everyone is very happy and upbeat. If you are going to attend the race, you need to pay (alot) for tickets ahead of time. definitely go to the palio the night before even if you choose not to go to the race.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 11:06 AM

We were there last year and decided to go the day before and go to the trials which occur in the evenings for several days before the Palio. We were very glad we did this as the Palio itself starts in the afternoon and is very long (lots of false starts) and the weather is uaually very warm. It was crowded for the trial the night before but it was not anywhere as crowded as the Palio itself and since the trials are in the evening, it wasn't as beastly hot as it was the next afternoon. And it is extremely crowded on the day of the Palio. At the trials you get to see some of the pagentry and they do a practice race. Get there several hours before the actual trial and walk the main street in Siena. Most of the horses are paraded down the street with much fanfare. I'm sure the Palio itself is exciting but the exceptional crowds, the time involved and the heat make it only for the very hardy!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Bootman4U

The last btime we were there we attended the special mass for the participants which occurred the day prior in the local cathedral. Each of the groups was in attendance dressed in their usual colorful and distinctive costumes...in some ways more exciting than the race itself.
I agree about the violent aspects of the race and it only lasts a few minutes. Getting a place to stand or sit so you can see what is happening can be difficult...it was like the crowds at the Sistine and the Leaning Tower plus a whole lot of others had all descended on Siena at the same moment...the not so unusual pushing and shoving and jostling in the crowd for the best vantage point and this is something, although certainly not particular to Europeans, that they seem to be used to and they do it without any shame whatsoever. I'm not sure I'd go to Siena JUST for the race since there is a lot to see and do besides that but if you're going to be there anyway it is certainly an unforgettable experience.

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 11:40 AM

I wrote an article on the event at http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/notes/...tina_palio.htm It is a very special thing to see. If you are going to stay for it thenm please do read the article as it will give you an insiders view of the race as well as the contrade which are the base of all things in Siena.