Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Saint Céré and Caudies de Fenouilledes -suggestions of what to see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, for reasons I still don't quite understand we have booked two gites in France for the end of May/beginning of June. It is not my first choice of destination but it's booked and I will make the best of it.

The first gite is in Bannes, near Saint Céré, in Lot, and the second is in Fosse, near Caudies de Fenouilledes, in Pyrénées-Orientales.

The main aim of the holiday will be to do not a lot, but some sight seeing around the gites would be good. We don't want to spend long days out and about but any suggestions of things to see, places to eat, markets etc in the general area of both gites would be appreciated.

I will warn you all that we have only ever been to France on holiday twice before - the first time Princess Diana died the first day we were there, and the second time we arrived at our gite on Sunday 9 September 2001. I am a little nervous about a return trip
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 08:07 AM

Caudies de Fenouillèdes is near the Cathar castles of Queribus, Peyrepertuse and Lapradelle-Puilaurens.
It is close to Quillan, Espéraza (hat museum, dinosaur museum), Rennes le Château, Couiza and Limoux.
It is also close to Tautavel (prehistoric museum) and the Corbières vinyards. (They make excellent wine in Maury!) and La Maison du Terroir, also in Maury, is a nice restaurant.

Other restaurants in the area :
Auberge du Cellier in Montner near Estagel
Restaurant Pierre-Lys in Quillan.

If you want a taste of the Pyrenées, drive up the Aude Valley to Mont-Louis and Font-Romeu.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 08:27 AM

Do you have the Michelin Green Guide for the Dordogne??? Lots of stuff to do & see near St Cere.
Rocamadour
Gouffre de Padirac
Figeac
Pech Merle
St Cirq Lapopie
Martel
Autoire
Loubressac
St Cere
Collonges la Rouge
Turenne
Meyssac
Argentat
Beaulieu
Ch Montal
Ch Castelnau-Brentoux
Grottes de Lacave
Cele River

Pvoyageuse is the expert on the other region - she lives close to there.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 08:31 AM

In Saint-Céré is the Château de Saint-Laurent-des-Tours, where Jean Lurçat lived and worked. Of course, his most famous work is at the museum devoted to his Apocalypse tapestries in Angers, but many of his tapestries and othere works are still in Saint-Cére. He also operated a radio post from the château during the French Resistance. The views from the château are lovely.

Also of interest in the area are the cirque naturel et cascade d'Autoire, the ruins of the Château des Anglais, the
Château du Limargue, the Manoir de Laroque-Delprat, the Château de Busqueille, and the Château de Roque-Maynard. You can easily visit Carennac and Loubressac from Saint Céré as well. The market is held the first and third Wednesdays of each month.

Good restaurants include the one in the Hotel Victor Hugo and Les Trois Soleils de Montal.

It's a town with a good feel to it.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

How odd, I was sure I had answered this.

Anyway, thank you all for your suggestions.
I shall head off to travel book store in the next town this weekend and see what they have. Our local book store had only one book which was worse than useless.

I am beginning to feel a bit more enthused about the trip. I may be back with more questions once I have my hands on some reading matter.