Our trip to Brittany

Search

Our trip to Brittany

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our trip to Brittany

Here's a link to our latest web page about our recent trip to Brittany, France.
This was a fabulous trip and I recommend to everyone to consider visiting this lovely corner of France!

2 WEEKS IN BRITTANY
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 09:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice write up, the tidal power station is being dismantled as the French believe the environmental damage done by the barage is too great as with most of the other such units across France. We toured it 2 years ago (we are engineers) and i saw it first in 1975. Sad to see it go.
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
Nice write up, the tidal power station is being dismantled as the French believe the environmental damage done by the barage is too great as with most of the other such units across France. We toured it 2 years ago (we are engineers) and i saw it first in 1975. Sad to see it go.
If that's the case, then I guess I'm sorry we didn't visit before it's gone!
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 10:50 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Always enjoy your blog. That granite coast looks a lot like the Tasmanian coast.
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 12:02 PM

It is Perros Guirec not Guirac and De Gaulle, not De Gaule.. The restaurant in Honfleur is certainly called La fleur de sel, not le fleur.
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 12:58 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thibaut
It is Perros Guirec not Guirac and De Gaulle, not De Gaule.. The restaurant in Honfleur is certainly called La fleur de sel, not le fleur.
Sincere thanks for your corrections!
Normally, my wife does the proofreading, and being an English teacher who also speaks French, she normally catches everything. This time, she was too busy and I did the final check myself!

I've made all the corrections and uploaded them. I hope I caught them all!
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 03:32 AM

Steve—thank you so much for your helpful trip report. We are headed to Brittany in May and are visiting many of the places you did and in fact staying in many of the same inns. I am making notes with your restaurant recommendations. Did you need to make reservations ahead of time?
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 05:00 AM

Steve, a very enjoyable and well-organized trip report. I looked at a few other trips you two have made and got the impression that you're a very good planner. You two have done a lot of traveling. Where to next?
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Coquelicot
Steve, a very enjoyable and well-organized trip report. I looked at a few other trips you two have made and got the impression that you're a very good planner. You two have done a lot of traveling. Where to next?
Thanks, Coquelicot,

In April we are headed to Marseilles and Aix-en-Provence. We have been to Provence before, but have never been to Marseilles. We want to taste real bouillabaisse. Already booked for a cruise of the British isles in July. Still thinking about where to go in September!
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Digbydog
Steve—thank you so much for your helpful trip report. We are headed to Brittany in May and are visiting many of the places you did and in fact staying in many of the same inns. I am making notes with your restaurant recommendations. Did you need to make reservations ahead of time?
I am happy that we can be of help to you.
We really enjoyed Brittany. I'm sure you will too!

As for restaurants, I make reservations in advance for the good ones, where I am sure we want to dine at.
Fine dining at good restaurants is something we enjoy very much and always incorporate into our trips.
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 04:50 AM

Very nice report, which reminds me we have to get back to Brittany and show it to my DH for the first time. Vannes is indeed a treasure. I love that place!

One more correction, though (one that "eats away at me" living where I do - it's FOIE gras, not foix gras).

Thank you for your time and effort.
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StCirq
One more correction, though (one that "eats away at me" living where I do - it's FOIE gras, not foix gras).
You are right of course. However to my credit, I got it right once (our of 5 chances)!
All the "foie gras" has been corrected.

Thanks for reading and correcting!
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 10:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Wonderful TR -- so much useful information. We spent several weeks in mostly Normany this past fall. We did start our trip in Rennes and thoroughly enjoyed that town. Unfortunately for me, being a sweet addict I loved the Kouign-amann which I discovered at the huge Rennes Saturday market. Your TR encourages me to spend more time exploring more of Brittany than what little we saw this year.

Last fall we were in Marseille for 5 days and loved it! We did a Greeters walking tour that was very informative and fun to do. I was looking forward to going back to Marseille after many years just for the bouillabaisse. While we had it a couple times, none lived up to my fabulous memory of it. I hope you are luckier than we were. Have a great trip!

Last edited by yestravel; Nov 25th, 2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 05:45 PM

sssteve, wow, amazing TR!

We’re heading there next September, and may well follow your route. We’ll have a week visiting Ypes and Vimy, then west to Bayeux for a few nights, and on to Brittany. It all sounds so wonderful!