Neuschwanstein from Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Munich next week & wanted to get to the castle by train to save money. Most of the postings I've seen all talk about taking a "tour" bus to get there. If you have experience getting there by train, I would like to know if it was difficult. Long? Is it scenic?
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 11:23 PM

After missing a connection in Augsburg, we got to Fuessen only 30 minutes late from the Munich-Pasing station.

www.bahn.de says it is about a 2 hour train trip from the main station, not terribly scenic but worthwhile. They have a train leaving for Fuessen hourly with 0 or 1 change(s) for just under 20 euro.

I'm sure this crowd will be able to advise you well.

MvK
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 12:44 AM

There is the possibility of a Bayern Ticket. This ticket is restrictive, but it offers a low fare particularly if a family is traveling together.

The main restriction is when you can travel and on which types of trains. For example Intercity Express trains (ICE) or the EC trains are excluded.

People use various gimmicks to use the reduced fare ticket to the maximum extent. For example, a party of 5 wants to leave before 9 am on a weekday.
They buy a normal ticket to some interim station at which the train arrives shortly after 9. Then they use the Bavarian Ticket the rest of the way.

The ticket is called a Bayern Ticket in German and the English version of Die Bahn web site does not include a description of the terms and conditions of use.

Essentially, a group of 5 people can travel after 9am on weekdays and all day on weekends for one ticket costing €25.

One person can travel for €18.00.

Family groups larger than 5 can travel for the €25 price.

Old Jul 30th, 2006, 12:49 AM

It takes about two hours by rail and there are several departures from Munich each day; a few are direct but you usually have to change in Buchloe.

The change in Buchloe is very easy simce there are only four platforms.

Once you arrive in Fuessen you can either take a taxi over to Neuschwanstein or go by public bus (the folks in the train station can direct you but the bus essentially leaves from right outside the station).

Many will probably tell you to rent a car for this but it can easily be done by rail.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 01:05 AM

If you look at this web site:
http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/query.exe/en
You can get the details of the connection to Hohenschwangau, which is the village at the base of the hill.

You take bus 73 from the Füssen train station.

This same bus goes to the Wieskirche, which is a beautiful Baroque church.
It is small and the outside is nothing special, but the inside is a masterpiece.

The total trip is about 2:22 if you take the train to Füssen.

There is another longer way that involves a long bus ride and takes 3:08.
This route involves a train from Munich main station to Weilheim(Oberbay)and then a couple of buses to Hohenschwangau. No advantage to it as I can see.

Old Jul 30th, 2006, 07:38 PM

One advantage of a car--you could easily see more sights on the way in one day; e.g., the aforementioned Wieskirche, Linderhof, Ettal, Oberammergau, etc..

But if you're only interested in Neuschwanstein or N and Hohenschwangau, then the train is just fine. And, of course, some people just don't like to drive.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:41 AM

We just got back from that area and we rented a car for our trip to the Alps. We had debated about that, but were really glad we settled on having our own car. It was a nice drive and really great to stop off at different places along the way. On the way up, we were coming from Nuremberg, so the trip was longer, but going back to Munich, Schwangau to Munich airport was a 2 hour drive and I didn't even pass that many people
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:15 PM

Just got back from a trip to Germany.

We went to Neuschwanstein by train from Munich. We had a Bayern Ticket at 25 euros for up to 5 persons, for use after 9 am. We took the 9.51 or so train, packed with tourists. We changed at Buchloe on the way. Very easy, just follow the crowd if you're not sure. But you can get the train schedule from the www.bahn.de (International Guests - timetable).
We got off at Fussen and took the bus from the station. Everyone from the train just went there and two buses were waiting. We did both Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. On our return trip in the evening, the change in Buchloe was in fact the same train, it just waited longer in the station.

It took just over 2 hours to reach Fussen.
Scenic? It depends on the taste and what you expect to see. I am a Romanian and saw lots of scenic views in Romania, I am used to mountain landscapes, so I wasn't overwhelmed, however some views are beautiful indeed.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 03:14 PM

I am interested in info on going from Munich (near the airport) to Neuschwanstein.

"Most of the postings I've seen all talk about taking a "tour" bus to get there."

Could you put in a link to the tour bus postings? Or could you give info on short tours to Neuschwanstein from Munich? Thanks.

Thanks
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 04:22 PM

We took a tour, and I enjoyed that. We also stopped at Oberamagau (sp?) and other of King Ludwigs castles.

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 05:32 PM

atravelynn, Seems like I heard that Panorama Tours was one of the companies that runs a tour to Neuschwanstein. Try googling up "Panorama Munich" and see what you get.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 05:22 AM

nbodyhome,
Did your tour originate in Munich? Do you recall the company?

AisleSeat,
Thanks, I'll be googling.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 07:48 AM

We took the Panarama Tour to Neuschwanstein and Linderhof castles plus a stop in Oberamagau (spelling??). I reserved tickets in advance (maybe thru the website - maybe a phone call - can't remember) and paid when we got on the bus. The tour started and ended across from the main train station in Munich.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 08:16 AM
MaureenB

It is really simple to take the train from Munich. We bought the round-trip Bayern Pass, which even includes the bus fare from the train depot to the ticket window. (You still need to walk up a steep drive, or pay for transit to the castle, but it's minimal expense.) The pass covers up to 5 people, and you don't need to be related, as far as I could tell. You can buy it at the depot, right before you go.

It's about 2 hours' train ride, and is through pretty countryside. You can go without a transfer, if you plan it that way. Have fun!
>-

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 11:59 AM

"The ticket is called a Bayern Ticket in German and the English version of Die Bahn web site does not include a description of the terms and conditions of use."

From the bahn.de home page, click on Internat. Guests, then Offers for Travelers in Germany, then Regional Tickets. The next page has a link to Länder Tickets in Germany. Although maybe not a legal description of Terms and Conditions, it does have a pretty good description.

For a little more complete description of the Bayern Ticket, go to www.bayern-takt.de, click on Englisch Version, then on the red box for Bayern Ticket.

Often, a train leaving Munich just before 9 AM will still be inside the MVV (last stop on the way to Füssen is Geltendorf) at 9. If so, an All Zones Partner (up to 5 people) Day Ticket for €17 might be less expensive than individual tickets.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Actually, there are 5 platforms in Buchloe. The train from Munich arrives on Gleis 5; the train to Füssen leaves on Gleis 4. It's a cross-platform transfer - the train to Füssen will be sitting on the other side of the platform when your's arrives. If your train is late, they should hold the train to Füssen.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 05:29 AM

Is it possible to travel this train on your Eurailpass?
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 12:54 PM

"this train"?

There is at least one train connection per hour from MUC to GaP (Garmisch-Partenkirchen). This consist of an S-Bahn trip to Munich Hauptbahnhof and a train from there. Your railpass would be valid for the entire trip.

Standard fare is €21,20, which is probably less than a day of your railpass. And...a Bayern ticket for one person is even less, €18; for up to five people it is €25. That is certainly less than a day of a rail pass. Don't buy an extra day of a railpass just for this trip.

And, if you want to go to Oberammergau, Linderhof, or Ettal on the day you arrive, the Bayern pass is also valid on the RVO buses in the area.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 01:06 PM

Ops, sorry! I thought I was still on the GaP thread.

But the same holds. Your railpass will be valid for the S-Bahn to the Hauptbahnhof and the train to Füssen, and the Bayern Ticket or Bayern Single Ticket will also cover it and still cost the same, less than a day of the railpass. Of course, if you have a Eurail pass that covers the entire time, you might as well use it.

Also, a Bayern Ticket will be valid for the bus from Füssen to Hohenschwangau, but a Eurail pass will not be.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Thank you. I did realize there were trains running regularily. I guess I should have said "for this route". I appreciate your answer to my foggy question.

We haven't bought anything yet and that's why the questions...just to see what we should do when it's time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -