Car rental Croatia

Search

Car rental Croatia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2016, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car rental Croatia

Help. Having difficulties deciding what makes more sense in car rentals. So many sites options and prices it's confusing. 12 days in October 14-26 Zagreb to Dubrovnik. Better one large vehicle for 4 adults 4 large suitcases and 4 carry ons or 2 smaller more full efficient vehicles? Any suggestions for rental site? Any help is greatly appreciated.
John.
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 09:26 PM

One car will be so much easier and almost certainly cheaper, unless renting two economy cars turns out to be cheaper than one larger car. (Possible, I guess, but doubtful.) You'll also have double the tolls on the toll roads (e.g. the A1 from Zagreb past Split toward Dubrovnik).

Try EconomyCarRentals, Kemwel, and Auto Europe for rental sites. These are brokers who book cars with the actual car companies, and probably all of the reservations you make are refundable up til 72 hours before you pick up the car (as I recall). I used EconomyCarRentals last year to rent a car in Croatia for two weeks - got a great rate.
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 10:12 PM
kja

I've always been satisfied with the service I've received through gemut.com, and I used their service when I traveled in Croatia (and elsewhere). They are associated with AutoEurope and have some exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful staff.

Like Andrew, I would think one vehicle better, as a rule, than two.

I would also recommend doing everything you can to limit the luggage. ;-)
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 01:36 AM

ciao
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 01:37 AM

Utilizzare questo servizio per il calcolo della distanza - distanza.info/calcolare.php
Marshall anche qualsiasi percorso senza complessi e cercare di andare, quindi forse sarà più difficile
e la necessità di controllare la velocità in modo da non ottenere una penalità!
ma in realtà è migliore e più economico e più bello di guida su strada a pedaggio, provare e non ve ne pentirete e il denaro sarà con voi e non nel bel mezzo
miliardario zio!
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 03:14 PM

Hmm, you may need to check with any car rental company to ensure that you can drive to Dubrovnik from Zagreb and the Dalmatian coast. A straight drive means you will have to take the car out of Croatia.

As part of the partition of the former Yugoslav component countries in the Dayton Accords, and to ensure Bosnia-Herzegovina had access to the Mediterranean, there is a portion of the Croatian coast bi-sected by a bit of B-H. This means if you go to Dubrovnik by road, you have to go through B-H (a tiny portion) and potentially two border control points (unless they've removed these, which I have not heard about - it had been a big delay issue in going from . . . say, Split to Dubrovnik by road).

To avoid all that nonsense, consider a ferry that will tote the vehicle(s) to get past that one point.
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 06:21 PM
kja

I didn't drive the stretch that BigRuss describes -- the stretch of road that crosses BiH -- but have heard many people say it is not a problem, with the possible exceptions of delays at the checkpoints. But I could be wrong, I I definitely agree that if you drive that route, you need to make sure your car rental company knows if you plan to drive that stretch and that the car has any necessary documentation.

Then again, I, personally, wouldn't try to drive from Zagreb to Dubrovnik. The scenery in parts is absolutely stunning, far too impressive to deprive a driver from the chance to devote his/her full attention to it. And you have so many public transportation options....
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 06:40 PM

I drove my rental car through the Neum Corridor last spring between Split and Dubrovnik. The two crossings into/out of Bosnia there were the easiest border crossings of the numerous crossings I did between Bosnia, Croatia, and Montenegro. No one checked my car's insurance card, and my US passport made it almost a formality to cross. At other border crossings, my insurance card was carefully inspected.

It's extremely common for tourists to drive rental cars through the Neum corridor, so most rental car companies would be prepared for it. Some companies charge a fee to allow their rental car to leave the EU, which you are doing when you drive through this Neum corridor between Split and Dubrovnik, but may make exceptions just for the Neum corridor. The policy varies by the rental car company. Just check with them first, ask what the fee is to drive through Neum into/out of Bosnia. You may need to request a car that has the right insurance card to drive through this area.

It seems that Croatia is building a bridge (already begun but delayed after the financial crisis a few years ago) across the Pelješac Pennsinsula to bypass Neum entirely, so that the A1 toll road would never have to cross into Bosnia between Split and Dubrovnik. I think I read they now expect this bridge to be complete in about seven years.
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 11:29 PM

You are not allowed to leave Croatia with a rental car ? Interesting concept in an area of inter penetrating small countries.
Old Sep 27th, 2016, 05:28 PM

I had a fantastic experience with Economy car rental, border crossings allowed and the roads/signage were excellent in the parts I was in.
Old Sep 27th, 2016, 06:13 PM

I used EconomyCarRentals too, but remember, they are just a broker. They booked a car with a company called Oryx, and I then had to deal with them regarding any fee to drive the car out of the EU. (I think it was 40 Euros, even though EconomyCarRentals supposedly had included a "cross-border card" for free.) Each car company has different policies for taking one of their cars out of the country or out of the EU.
Old Sep 28th, 2016, 07:56 AM

Oh, right, the border rules are not up to Economy, I forgot that part. We had FLEET. Very good experience.