Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome's Tiburtina Train Station to Ciampino Airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This June, my wife and I are thus far planning on arriving in Rome's Tiburtina train station from Venice about 7am. Since we are taking a flight from Ciampino Airport to Prague about 9:35am, does somebody know precisely what public transportation connections we should take from Tiburtina to Ciampino?

Alternatively and much more preferably, we'd better like to find out how to fly from Venice directly to Prague on a budget airlines, (i.e., not the Czech airline/CSA) and avoid a midnight to 7am train ride to Rome. It appears the cost of a Venice-Prague flight on CSA is about 180E, while the train and flight combo of Venice-Rome-Prague is about 80E.

Many thanks.

Mike Bresso
San Leandro/SF, CA
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 02:54 PM

This isn't quite what you asked for, but Alpi Eagles flies from Venice to Budapest, a wortwhile alternative to Prague IMO.

www.alpieagles.com

If I'm not mistaken, Volareweb used to fly the Venice-Prague route before it went bust. Perhaps the slots will be picked up by another carrier in the next few months...

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 04:43 AM

Mike - Unless another airline takes up the Venice-Prague route, one budget option might be to fly via London (Gatwick or Stansted):

- EasyJet fly Venice-Gatwick and Gatwick-Prague.

- RyanAir fly Treviso-Stansted, and EasyJet fly Stansted-Prague.

[I just plugged in a mid-week date via Gatwick with EasyJet.
Very cheap - but you have a wait of several hours at Gatwick ...]

To answer your other Q, from Tiburtina your best option will really be taxi or pre-booked limo, as you don't have much time to play with.

The following quote €40-45.00

www.limoservicerome.com
www.airportshuttle.it

If you want to risk the public tranport option you will need to take the metro from Tiburtina to Roma TERMINI, from where there is an airport bus service run by Terravision from Via Marsala.
Here's the link for details:

http://www.terravision.it/rome_ciampino.html#

[If you can catch the 07.30 Terravision bus you should be at Ciampino by about 08.10. Later buses would leave the timing pretty tight for check-in, IMO]

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 05:35 AM
ira

Hi mb,

See
http://www.adr.it/content.asp?Subc=1...&idMen=204
for buses between Ciampino airport and Rome.

None of them go to Tiburtina.

www.europebyair.com will fly you Venice/Brussels/Prague for about $200 each.

I agree that you might wish to arrange for a limo from Tiburtina to Ciampino.

Old Dec 30th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your helpful responses, Steve in particular. I may settle for Czech Airlines and then a budget SN (from EuropeByAir) but I'm going to give another look at your EasyJet/Ryan Air et al. flights. I'm fairly certain I looked those up and the connections were far apart (i.e., leave Venice around 11am but not get to Prague until ultimately 8pm or something) -- so the Czech Air might be best to go.

Also, thanks for all your thoughts (several of you) regarding surface connections in Rome. Of course most of us are here because we're about to go and are cobbling out plans and itineraries. So you folks are great to help bounce thoughts and things around.