Search

Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon

Hi

My fiancee and I are setting about planning out honeymoon for July 2004. Italy is one of the possibilities. We will be going for 2 weeks. We would like somewhere romantic and reasonably quiet with few children. Not looking for anywhere too busy as our ideal evening would just be a good meal at an authentic restaurant and maybe a quick drink outside. Could anyone suggest some places to consider?

Thanks

Martin
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 03:01 AM
AllyPally

I have just finished reading 'The Italian Affair' by Laura Fraser which got me thinking about the Italian islands (Aeolian). Unfortunately, I have never been so can't help. I can only think that getting to these islands (no direct flights - ferries, etc) makes it difficult for the average parent and that they might be put off taking their children there. I have read that watching the volcanic activity on Stromboli from Panarea is highly romantic stuff. I was looking at a hotel the other day on Panarea (http://www.hotelraya.it), which looks STUNNING for a honeymoon.

I have just come back from a week in Oia in Santorini. I can't think of anywhere more romantic. I could have easily done with two. A lot of the hotels discourage children, due to the romantic atmosphere, but I think it's mainly due to the layout of the cliffside towns and hotels. There are lots of romantic stairs and narrow streets and a parent would spend most of the time worrying about their kids falling over!! So that leaves the place for us child free people!! I did see some children there but not as many because it is difficult for adults to walk sometimes, let alone those with small feet.

Have fun planning!!

AllyPally

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:11 AM
donnabee

I vote for Santorini, Greece also. Very romantic, quiet, and not a lot of children at hotels. Like chrism said, they discourage them. Italy might be too noisy and busy for you.

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:21 AM

christm,

July is one of the busiest times of the year in Italy. But if you're willing to brave the traffic, I can't think of a more romantic destination than the Amalfi Coast.

I really love Positano for it's spectacular scenery and wealth of excellent restaurants. Two hotels I'd recommend there are: Hotel Poseidon, and Le Sirenuse. Either of these hotels will offer you a gorgeous and mostly child-free respite from the crowds in town.

Other hotels along the coast that cater mostly to couples and honeymooners are: Santa Caterina, near Amalfi, and Villa Cimbrone and Palasso Sasso in Ravello.

Good luck with your choice!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:24 AM
ira

Hi

I also suggest a week on the Amalfi Coast. You might want to consider hotels in Praiano, a smaller town East of Positano.

I suggest Venice for your other week.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:35 AM
AllyPally

Martin, with regards to my previous suggestion of Aeloian islands, I just read on Hotel Raya's website that ferries from Naples take 12 hours and hydrofoils 4.5 hours!!!

On the other hand, it is your honeymoon and would be a trip of a lifetime, no?

What about Sicily?

Small note about Oia in Santorini: Travel and Leisure put the town on its cover for 50 Most Romantic Places in the World!!

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:36 AM

Positano and a villa stay in Tuscany would be ideal.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:07 AM

Stay further North. July is hot! Lake Como is beautiful. We stayed in Varenna for the start of our honeymoon. You could then train through Milan to Florence, rent a car and drive into Tuscany. Use www.tuscany.net to find a farmhouse/castle/villa, look for a pool and one with trees for shade. Stay S of Siena for a good base. Just wonderful.
Our 2 wks in Late June early July included: Como, Venice, Florence, Tuscany (montepulciano, pienza, san gimaignano all favorites but really loved all the smaller hill towns), Cinque Terre (would not recommend it in the summer, too crowded/touristy) and Milan. Also have heard good things about Camogli on the Italian Riviera. Congrats and ciao!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:11 AM

Lots of fabulous suggestions here! Since I haven't personally been to a lot of them, I must second Ira's suggestion of one week in Venice.

My husband and I recently renewed our vows on a gondola there, and it's positively one of the most romantic and magical cities in the world.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:43 AM

christm,

If you're interested in the villa route for your honeymoon, you might want to check out CONDE NAST Traveler, September issue. It features an article on renting a villa in Tuscany by a writer from THE NEW YORKER, and lists rental agencies.

Good luck, and have a great time!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi

Thanks for the help. We definitely want Italy as we've always wanted to go there.
Heard a lot of good things about Positano and that area.
Can anyone suggest a good iteniary to look at. Would like to get around 2 or 3 towns by car on the journey. If it's any help we'll be going from the UK and will be there for a fortnight.

Thanks

Martin
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 04:44 AM
ira

Hi Martin

Here's a first draft.

Fly into Naples. Spend a week on the Amalfi Coast.

Return to Naples and train to Florence. Pick up your rental car and spend the week touring Tuscany. Return it in Florence and fly home from there.

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 05:46 AM

Hi christm,
Since you said quiet and not too busy check out Ravello on the Amalfi coast. The Palazzo Sasso is supposed to be the best hotel. Also Villa Cimbrone which is undergoing renovation now but should be open by the time you go. Both of these hotels have websites. I don't think you would want to stay there for two weeks but you might want to stay several days and then you could go to Positano where there is a little more going on and more convenient to get to other places by boat. I think a week on the Amalfi coast would be good but I have not done this. Going in May. Since you did not mention sightseeing I did not think you wanted to do a lot of this. I must tell you this though--Venice is the most romantic place I have ever been and I went in summer when it is busiest. I, too, have been to the Greek isles and they were fabulous but I was on a cruise and I am a sightseer and want to do everything. Congratualtions and happiness always to you.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Amalfi Coast/Tuscany was exactly what I was thinking of. Was just wondering about actual hotels or towns within them that would be nice?

Sightseeing is on the list too but probably not the actual 'big' attractions. Looking more for some lovely romantic views and nice quaint towns with streets to wander round.

Thanks

Martin
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 06:55 AM

You may also want to consider a Mediterranean cruise. Radisson Diamond is having a 2 for 1 special on the first 40 cabins booked for each sailing (so you'd need to act fast). The Diamond is a smaller 5 star ship which only holds around 300 passengers. The food and ambiance would make for a perfect romantic honeymoon. You could even do a pre or post cruise stay on land to extend your honeymoon. You can check out the itineraries for July sailings on rssc.com or www.brownandkeenetravel.com (that's a TA that's promoting the 2 for 1)
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 12:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help - but no cruises I'm afraid - both myself and my fiancee get very sea sick - I know we'd probably be ok on a cruise, but don't want to chance it on our honeymoon!!!

Any other suggestions?

Martin
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 07:07 PM

santa caterina in amalfi.. Wonderful...
You will never forget it... It will always be my magic place, when things go wrong in life all I have to do is think of the Santa Caterina..
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 08:43 AM

I am a travel agent and I am planning a honeymoon for clients who are going to Sicily and the Aeolian islands. Very pretty....but I personally would vote for the Amalfi Coast. The Santa Caterina Hotel is one of the most beautiful hotels, and exquisite settings I've ever seen, and there are many medieval towns very close by.