Rezidenza Il Poggiolo, San Quirico d'Orcia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Italy in June 2009 and finishing up the last pieces of our puzzle.

I had posted before about wanting an agriturismo in the Pienza/San Quirco region, with a pool, breakfast, around 100 euros and a lot of Tuscan charm.

La Fonte folks won't be back until the end of the month to let us know if they would take us for 3 days as oppossed to weekly as they prefer. Not sure they can accomodate 2 seperate couples, as it is very small.

Terrapille looka good from the webpage and some reviews, but had one very bad review on slow trav that made me a bit nervous about what accomodations were like when they had a "full house".

Bob had said Rezidenza Il Poggiolo, San Quirico d'Orcia was a favorite of his for the price, but I can't find any reviews on it. Bob are you around to help on this one?

I have posted before about this, but thought I would try with a different title.

Ideas? Any one familiar with Rezidenza Il Poggiolo ? Others?

Thanks for all of your previous ideas, but always happy to get more.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 03:48 PM

Il Poggiolo is a pretty popular name, so there are a lot of them. Perhaps you are referring to this one in Montepulciano:
http://www.appartamentialpoggiolo.it/

, for which there are a couple of reviews on the Slow Travel site:
http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/review.asp?n=2121
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 03:58 PM

lovisa..travel52 is referring to Il Poggiolo in San Quirco:

http://www.poggiolo.info/

not Al Poggiolo

We looked at it when we were searching for properties but I don't have first hand knowledge of it...unfortunately.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 04:50 PM

My mistake. I did find one approving reference to it in passing by Patta on the Tripadvisor Tuscany forum:

http://tinyurl.com/6yughc
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 05:50 PM

Yes, that is the one. I have no personal experience but did have a client stay there and they liked it. I love the location and the pricing.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 10:22 AM

travel52, maybe you could be the first to review Il Poggiolo!

I looked at the photos again on their website and while the apartments look a little spartan, they're still lovely, and the pool is gorgeous! If Bob's client liked it, it's hard to imagine that it would be a disappointment.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 02:03 AM

If you are looking for an accommodation in San Quirco, I highly reccomend the Farm House "Palazzo Conti" http://www.nautilus-mp.com/tuscany/a...nti/index.html

Cosy and extremely beautiful eighteenth-century farmhouse set in a lovely plain. With a nice swimming pool...so relaxing!

I have no idea about Residenza il Poggiolo, sorry!

Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:14 AM

I stayed at Il Poggiolo in September of this year and LOVED it. The residenza is perched on a hill outside of San Quirico- walking time to the medieval wall is about 5 minutes. The accomodations are very Tuscan- simple, but very nice. And the views of the Val d'Orcia from our window were AMAZING. Breakfast was great, pool looked great (although it was too cool to use while we were there). It is a quiet place, but the price is right and it is great for a Tuscan homebase.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:23 AM

Grazie---good info.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 07:45 PM

We stayed at Il Poggiolo last June for 3 nights on the Tuscany leg of our Italy sojourn, and we loved it. (Husband and Daughters, age 9 and 13) The rooms are just like the photos on the web site, simple, but very clean. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment, with a huge kitchen/common room. The bath was very basic, but clean, with a "transporter" style shower. The kitchen corner had all the basic equipment to make a simple meal, and a moka pot, our first exposure to homemade italian cafe. (We're hooked!)

The manager, Michele, was full of information and suggestions, both on how to find things in town, to dinner recommendations, to planning great day trips to interest our girls. He also made a mean morning cappucino, and wonderful hot cocoa for our daughters. Breakfast was typical italian- plenty of fresh pastry and cakes, cereal, yogurt, fruit and juice, served in the breakfast room/bar. The conversation was always fascinating, and it was fun to meet fellow travelers and compare note on travels and home towns.

The girls enjoyed the pool, to cool off in the afternoon, and evenings were pleasently cool. The grounds are lovely, and in the evening, you want to climb up behind the buildings to the gentle hill top to see the sunset- it was simply heavenly. The grounds are filled with lavender, olive and cherry trees, and tons of flowers. One afternoon, I chose to cook what my family has taken to calling "italian chicken" (boiled with olive oil, wine, lemon and herbs) and I just had to walk out the door to clip some thyme and rosemary from the garden. Again...heavenly.

We were there during June 13-15, and were fortunate enough to be in town for the Festa del Barbarossa, http://www.festadelbarbarossa.it/ind...p;locale=en_US, an annual medieval festival/reenactment . We had dinner one evening at one of the quartieri "dinners" ( think church picnic/barbecue), attended Sunday mass in a church full of people dressed in medieval costumes, then saw a fantastic parade and competition of flag twirling and and archery.

We also had time that weekend to drive to Pienza for a morning, and make a quick stop in Montepulciano (due to rain) that afternoon. We could have done more, but it was just so relaxing to sit back and imagine staying put for good. I imagine most folks who find the Val d'Orcia would agree.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM

travel52- I also recently returned from a 3 day stay at Il Poggiolo just outside San Quirico. Agree wholeheartedly with what others have posted here about it.

Since we were there off-season, in November, there were few other people around, the pool was obviously not open and breakfast was not served. But since you plan on being there in June, that does not affect you (and it did not bother us either, we knew all this before). Michele is indeed a really wonderful young man and we enjoyed our conversations with him.

We had a marvelous large 2 bedroom apartment (Casa Mucciola) and you can read my review on tripadvisor (the only one there).

The views from the kitchen and bedroom were indeed fabulous and the Val d'Orcia area is, IMHO and many others, the most gorgeous place in Italy!
Have a great time.