Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurants You loved(but didn't make you choke at the bill) in Venice, Florence, Cinque Terra, Capri, Rome?

Search

Restaurants You loved(but didn't make you choke at the bill) in Venice, Florence, Cinque Terra, Capri, Rome?

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to gain at least 10 lbs!
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:31 PM

Those are words that would NEVER cross my lips! You are going with the right attitude. While there is so much great food to be had in the cities mentioned, I choke regulary when I get the check...if I have not had enough vino rosso! Salute.
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:16 PM

Hi

It depends what kind of bills you are used to after you have had a meal My wife and I went to Milan and Venice last year and our best meal in Venice was at a place called Trattoria Antica Bessetta located in an alley in San Polo. They had a GREAT seafood risotto and lovely grilled seafood. I have posted some pictures of our meal and more details on my personal homepage www.gardkarlsen.com Maybe you can find some useful information there.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old May 25th, 2004, 02:30 AM

I list a bunch of places I liked in Rome during a photo course I took there last October (great course - what a fun way to SEE Rome). See http://www.straughan.com/italy/travel/rome.htm for the full trip details and restaurant mentions with addresses. Some were more expensive than others, but none outrageously so.

Best, Deirdre'
Old May 25th, 2004, 02:53 AM
ira

Hi

In Florence I highly recommend

Il Ritrovo Via de? Pucci 4/A Best food for the price Has fish. Full dinner w/wine abt 40E pp Closed Monday
From Pzza San Giovani (NW corner of the Pza del Duomo) walk one blk East to Via dei Martelli. Go left to Via dei Pucci. Turn Right. Look very carefully on left. No sign. Door could be locked. Ring bell.

There are others in my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044
Old May 25th, 2004, 03:49 AM

It's difficult to find reasonably priced food on Capri, but you might want to give Le Grottelle a go. When we were there we thought the prices were very reasonable, the food is great (try the pasta with seafood) and the location (on the cliffside) absolutely incredible.
(Doing a websearch for the restaurant I found this site with some info http://www.capri.net/salsa/lang/en/c...page/card.html)
Old May 25th, 2004, 04:14 AM
rfb

In Florence, Vecchia Firenze, Borgo degli Albizi 76R/18 closed Monday.

This is not an elegant restaurant; it is more on the order of a neighborhood tratoria. The food, however, is very good, well prepared, reasonably priced with excellent, friendly service. I ate there nine years ago and liked it; went back in March and enjoyed it enough to return the next night. We weren't the only repeat customers. Interior decor consists of some truly tacky, buxom, cartoonlike drawings of partially clad women. Some may find this offensive; I thought it was just funny.

Old May 25th, 2004, 05:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Rome:

La Tartaruga, via del Monte della Farina, 53 (tel 06/6869473)

Orso 80, via dell'Orso, 33, tel 06/6864904. Don't miss the house antipasto, and don't order anything else until and unless you know you will want more.

Antica Taverna, Via Monte Giordano, 12, tel 06/68801053

Venice:

Trattoria Ca d'Oro, alla Vedova, off Strada Nova near the Ca d'Oro

La Bitta on C. Lunga San Barnaba in Dorsoduro

Old May 25th, 2004, 05:07 AM

In Capri, down at Marina Grande, try LO ZODIACO. We had wonderful thin-crusted pizza there, and homemade pasta dishes that were really out of this world. It was cheap, cheap, cheap, and unbelievably, our best dinner in overpriced Capri.
Old May 25th, 2004, 05:17 AM

As far as more moderately priced restaurants....

In Florence, we really enjoyed Osteria del Agnolo located on Borgo San Lorenzo between the Duomo and the Church of San Lorenzo.

In Venice there was a great little wine bar/osteria located in the campo immediately on the San Polo side of the Rialto Bridge. It was off to the right next to an internet cafe and had the most wonderfully quiet view of the Grand Canal in the evenings. The name escapes me at the moment, but it can be found in my trip report.

Our very favorite in Venice was Hotel Cipriani, but the bill there would choke you.

Enjoy gaining those 10 pounds! You'll be hard pressed with all the walking you'll probably do.
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:14 AM

In Florence, try Il Cavallino on via delle Farine.

In Rome, La Bucca di Ripetta on via di Ripetta down near Piazza del Popolo.

If you REALLY want to gain 10 lbs., I'd recommend Giolitti in Rome, as well as the Gelateria di San Crispino in Rome for gelato. The latter is pricier, but oh, is it ever tasty!

Buon Viaggio & Buon Appetito,
BC
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:51 AM
dln

Restaurant review from my journal of last September's trip to Rome:

"Dinner at da Lucia on Viccolo Mattonato in Trastavere was excellent! Forty euros for the both of us bought a bottle of water, wine (house), and bread. I had mixed vegetables (grilled eggplant, white beans, zucchini and red pepper), spaghetti sprinkled with Parmesan and veal stew with peas. For the dearest husband, rabbit done with olive oil and rosemary, risotto, and salad."

We ate outdoors on a very narrow side street. Streamers were strung across the width of the street lending a very festive, atmopheric feeling to the dining experience. There were far more Italian voices heard than not and we whiled away a good two hours enjoying the heavenly food! I'd go back in a flash if I could.

Old May 25th, 2004, 07:00 AM

In Florence-Trattoria Il Giova, Borgo La Croce,73R corner Via della Mattonaia-this place is about a 10-15 minute walk NW of Santa Croce in a residential part of Florence. It?s tiny and the menu is small and hand written but the food was wonderful!
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:24 AM

When in Florence, eat like Medici. Try La Pentola dell'Oro, where the food is prepared using 400-year-old Renaissance recipes. Outstanding and very authentic.
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:52 AM

Statia - I think you are talking about Bancogiro, in Venice...

Also in Venice - La Zucca on Calle delle Tintor in Santa Croce, and Osteria da Alberto on Calle Giacinto Gallina in Cannaregio... both have great food at reasonable prices.

Pizza is a good way to gain some weight!

Old May 25th, 2004, 08:11 AM

rialtogrl, you are correct! Thanks.
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:27 AM

Florence- Borgo Antico, Piazza S. Spirito, 6r. Good food, good fun.

Cinque Terre- Al Costello in Vernazza, up about a gazillion stone steps, but food and view well worth it.

Byrd

Old May 25th, 2004, 08:33 AM

That's my goal for my trip this summer, too! Ten pounds of pure pizza weight!

At any rate, on Capri, it is generally cheaper to eat in Anacapri. I can personally recommend Al Nido D'Oro. It is just a couple of steps off Anacapri's piazzetta, and it used to be purely a locals joint (it has since been mentioned in a guidebook). Pizzas run about 5 euro, pastas a bit more, and the portions are very abundant!
Old May 25th, 2004, 09:45 AM

Florence: Osteria Cinghale Bianco--good, family-owned restaurant with pleasant, convivial ambience. On "other side" of Ponte Vecchio. Cross the PV, make first right onto Borgo Jacopo. It's couple blocks down on left side of street. Probably need to make reservations in high season, even if only same day/day in advance.
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:56 PM

In Florence we ate only one meal and it was our most expensive (E65)...Il Latina but that was because of our ignorance. I wouldn't trade it for anything, it was fantastic.

In Venice our favorite was Al Giorgione on via Giarbaldi. The owner used to be a gondola singer and puts on an hour long concert every night. Great food and very reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -