Driving across Austria-Hungary-Czech

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2011, 01:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be travelling from Vienna-Budapest-Prague-Cesky Krumlov-Salzburg-Vienna for 12 days. Pick up/drop off a car rental in Vienna. I have rented a A160 Mercedeze benz from Europcar. Could you please advise if there would be any restriction/requirement to drive across the countries (Austria-Hungary-Czech republic) ? thx
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 01:45 AM

viamichelin.com no problem in eurozone go for it...
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 01:47 AM

When I did Hungary last was doable some border zone issues

be sure all documants insurance are in order check with

Eurpcar and do not speed watch where you park in big cities.
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 05:05 AM

Ask Europcar!
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 05:18 AM

You need permission of Europcar to take your car across national borders. As all your countries are in EU and Schengen, there shouldn't be a problem but ask them first. Plus they should give you a cross-border document for your car incorporating insurance certificate. And emergency number to call in each of the countries.

There are motorway tolls to pay in Czech Republic and Hungary. Austrian vignette (sticker) should already be on your windshield. For Czech Republic you have to buy a sticker at the border or a service station. For Hungary, you have to register your car's registration number online and get e-vignette (no physical sticker) against payment. If you go to a service station near the border, they should be able to do it for you. It's enforced by cameras and if you don't get your e-vignette, your offence will be recorded and a fine sent to Europcar, which they will send on to you with handling charge. Or you can avoid the fine by not using motorways (designated by letter A with the word matrica meaning tolls).
http://www.motorway.hu/payment/matricainfo_en
http://www.motorway.cz/for-drivers
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 07:26 AM

Listen to Alec - do NOT mess with the vignette issues.

Also, make sure you can take the car to Prague. It is notorious for theft and vandalism for foreign autos and many rental agencies had (and may still have) restrictions on bringing their cars there.
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 09:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
when we rented a car in Berlin a few weeks ago, we were asked specifically if we were taking it into the Czech republic. we weren't, so they didn't follow it up, but previous experience of car hire suggests that there might be a large excess on the insurance or a hefty deposit via your credit card if you are.

do check this out before you go.
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 09:44 AM

For the sake of completion, I would add that the direct route from Budapest to Prague will take OP through yet another country, Slovakia. For which another "vignette" is necessary to drive on the motorways. It should cost appr. €7 or equivalent for 7 days which is the shortest period of validity.
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

THank you very much for all useful infomation!
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 09:59 AM

Hungary evignette can be obtained at the borders
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I remember, I worried about the rental car not having a vignette for CZ Rep. When I crossed the German border, I expected the Czech immigration guards to ask about the vignette. When they didn't, I asked them. They pointed ahead. So about 500 feet further, there was a gas station/convenience store, where I went in and bought one.
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 09:36 PM

The vignettes must be bought and attached to windshield before you drive into the respective country.

When the Central/Eastern European countries joined the Schengen zone this often became a problem as the old border crossing facilities which also served as points of sale got closed down.

The easiest way to obtain all vignettes would be
a) to ask at the rental car desk in Vienna if they sell them (best to ask in advance by mail) or
b) go to the Austrian auto club ÖAMTC while still exploring Vienna where you can buy those for Czech and Slovak republic, and get guidance how to get to the ÖAMTC outlet near the AT/HU border for the Hungarian one.

In Vienna, you find the ÖAMTC auto club very centrally located on the famous Ringstraße at
Schubertring 1-3, 1010 Wien
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 09:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
any car you rent in Austria should have a vignette for the austrian autobahns already.

i would ask in advance where to get ones for the other countries you intend to visit at the same time as notifying them that this is what you intend to do.