Help with final leg of Ireland tour, Ashford Castle to Dublin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This April, Hubby and I will be driving from Dublin to Cashel, Blarney, Killarney, Galway, then ending up at the Ashford Castle in Cong. If you've stayed at the Ashford Castle, I'd love to hear your review, and what you toured while in that area. I was also wondering the best route back to Dublin. We will be driving ourselves, and have just a day to do it. By the map I have, it looks like it would be best to go back to Galway, then we'd be able to stop at Athlone. We'd also like to stop at the ancient sites around Drogheda and Slane. Do we need to drive to Dublin and north from there? We need to return the car late that afternoon. Is there time for all of this? Thanks for any help!
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 05:24 AM

Stayed recently at Lisloughrey Lodge (in the grounds of Ashford Castle) and loved it. We spent ages just walking the grounds of Ashford and visiting the ruined abbey of Cong. One day we drove as far as Kylemore Abbey, thoroughly enjoyed that.

You could also visit Westport from Cong, around there you have Louisburgh, the Inagh Valley, lots of scenic driving, some lovely beaches. In Ashford Castle itself you can book a boat trip on the lake, and do a falconry session.

The quickest way back to Dublin is to go almost to Galway, and then take the main motorway Galway / Dublin. Fill the car up with petrol before you go as there are very few service stations along the motorway once you leave Galway.

Clonmacnoise is easy to visit along the road from Galway to Dublin. Maybe you would stop there to break up the journey rather than Athlone, and you could get a fix of "ancient stuff"! Drogheda and Slane would be difficult to fit in IMO.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! Just the info I'm looking for!
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 03:01 PM

Clonmacnoise is a great stop and Athlone is a nice village. You used to have to go through all the villages to get to Galway but is a quick trip now with the motorway though not nearly as interesting.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 09:22 AM

Sorry - I mentioned the Inagh valley before, meant to say Killary Harbour, the Inagh valley is further down towards south Connemara... both are wonderful drives either way...
jane