I have decided to cancel my Madrid/Andalusia trip for late September, due to expected high temperatures (there was a previous thread) and instead consider Italy, which appears to have lower temperatures during that period.
I have prepared a preliminary schedule and would welcome your feedback. I will be using public transportation. I drove through Umbria once/twice, Tuscany several times, and spent most of that time driving through the countryside, and spent little time in the towns, so I now want more time to explore the towns.
Interests: History, Art and Architecture, exploring old towns. Good food and wine is a given.
Where I have been (fairly) recently in Italy and excluding or limiting time on this tip: Rome & Bologna October 2016, including side trips to Ravenna and Orvieto (excluding all). Florence Easter 2014, including side-trips to Arezzo, Fisole and Lucca (limited time in Florence, excluding Arezzo, Fisole, Lucca).
Here is my preliminary itinerary:
• Day 1: Friday: Early flight from London City Airport, landing in Venice at 11 am. Hotel in Venice
• Day 2: Saturday: Full day in Venice. Hotel in Venice
• Day 3: Sunday: Full day in Venice. Hotel in Venice
• Day 4: Monday: Full day in Venice. Hotel in Venice
• Day 5: Tuesday: Full day in Venice. Travel to Florence in evening. Hotel in Florence
• Day 6: Wednesday: Full day in Florence. Hotel in Florence
• Day 7: Thursday: Day trip to either Vollterra/Prato. Open to other suggestions. Hotel in Florence
• Day 8: Friday: Day trip to Siena. Hotel in Florence
• Day 9: Saturday: Full day in Florence. Travel to Perugia in evening. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 10: Sunday: Full day Perugia. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 11: Monday: Day trip to Spello, Hotel in Perugia
• Day 12: Tuesday: Day trip to Spoleto. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 13: Wednesday: Day trip Gubbio. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 14: Thursday: Day trip Pienza or Asissi. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 15: Friday: Full day Perugia or day trip to Todi. Travel to Florence in evening. Hotel in Florence
• Day 16: Saturday: Full day in Florence. Hotel in Florence
• Day 17: Sunday: Full day in Florence. Evening flight from Florence to London
This is very preliminary, and I am willing to take any suggestions on-board. For example, I am using Perugia as a base for exploring Umbrian towns – is this the best base and the best way to do it by public transportation? Can I combine a couple of towns in one day by public transportation? Am I prioritizing the towns correctly, or would you delete some and add others?
Many thanks in advance for your advice and guidance.
Kind regards … Ger
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rentals in Madrid , Spain-Select
- 2 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 3 Spain in 2018
- 4 Wedding In Cambridge England
- 5 Sorrento to Montepulciano- where to rent car?
- 6 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 7 First time in Spain
- 8 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 9 Schengen entry/exit stamps in Austria
- 10 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 11 Help needed for Bergamo to Venice journey
- 12 Barcelona to Malaga
- 13 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 14 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 15 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 16 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 17 Best area to stay near Split for easy beach access.
- 18 beware of robbed in Milan
- 19 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 20 Which Area in London?
- 21 where to buy baby gifts in paris?
- 22 Barcelona - Rome Viking Ocean Cruise
- 23 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 24 What did your teenagers love the most of their Italy trip?
- 25 Current plan for March trip
Preliminary Trip Planning for Venice/Florence/Umbria in late September