Barcelona or Turin?

Search

Barcelona or Turin?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona or Turin?

If SO and I get a chance to take one more trip from London before we go home in December, should it be Barcelona or Turin? It would be for about 5 days. I've been to Barcelona but so many decades ago, it doesn't really count. Weather might play a role here -- we walk a lot when we travel and both of us prefer warmer weather.

Everyone loves Barcelona but an Italian friend tells me that Turin is the most beautiful city in Italy.

Barcelona? Turin? Help me decide.
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 03:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depending on your specific interests I suspect there may be more to see/do in Barcelona
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 04:34 AM

I agree with Dukey. I have been to both cities and like each of them. Barcelona is much a much more exciting place in my opinion. That would be my choice. I don't know about Turin being the most beautiful city in Italy. It is certainly different from the others, and it is beautiful in its own way. I spent three days there and felt it was enough, although there are side trips that can be taken.
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 07:39 AM

Barcelona.
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 07:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I too had been to Barcelona so many decades ago that it didn't count, and then I went a few years ago. It is a much more lively, exciting destination now than it was in 1972, with a vibrant Catalan culture that had been completely repressed at my first visit.

I have not been to Turin so I can not compare the destinations, but I found Barcelona wonderful (and the food is great).

You might be interested in my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 07:48 AM

Etobicoke.
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 07:55 AM

cold,
don't send people to the burbs of ANY city!
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Well, I guess when you live in Oddawa, Etobicoke must seem like Europe, right, cold?

OK, I'm leaning towards Barcelona. Also, because we happen to have Barcelona's 25 Best here in London with us.

Thanks, Nikki -- I'll read your trip report and will probably print it off and take it with us.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 08:20 AM

Our experience of the two cities :

Barcelona : dirty, scruffy, overcrowded, traffic problems, drug taking on open show, good food, average shopping, very creative architecture.

Turin : gentile, eay to get round, stunning setting, food just OK, grand architecture.

I wouldn't venture back to Barcelona, we are going back to Turin in February 2011.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 08:34 AM

"Barcelona : dirty, scruffy, overcrowded, traffic problems, drug taking on open show, good food, average shopping, very creative architecture."

must be a different city I have seen 4 times in the last four years.
Creative architecture?
Average shopping?
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 08:52 AM

Creative architecture : of course it is how else would you classify it? Has to be some of the most creative in the world.

Average shopping : found it to be another "world city" shopping experience. The same chains as other world cities and less local, niche shops than Turin. However, Turin is a far smaller city.

When we went in July 2009: too much traffic, too hot, too crowded and too dirty.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 10:12 AM

around El Born or outside the central area one can find different and interesting shops. Even at L'illa!

I don't remember Torino ( was a child, stayed for a day), but I found "Barcelona experience" varies for people (sometimes) depending on : time of the year they visit ( summer would not be my choice), locations they explore ( one can see drugs and prostitutes in Raval any time of day), interest in art and architecture ( not just Modernism), enjoyment of night life, knowledge of Catalan history and culture, and general appreciation of what big cities have to offer (unfortunately, it does imply a lot of traffic !)
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

If we go, it will be in November. Shopping, unless I can get some locally-made items, is not a priority though I don't mind browsing in shops. I find that in the big cities, the expensive shops (e.g. Hermes) and the cheaper shops (e.g. H&M, Zara) all have the same stuff anyway so I wouldn't miss that in Turin.

Traffic is not a problem as we won't be driving. As you say, danon, drugs and prostitution are everywhere.

But yanumpty, now you've got me thinking about Turin again. (And I know you meant 'gentle' but you gave me a laugh with 'gentile'.) Where did you stay in Turin last time and where are you staying in February?

Honestly, I have absolutely no mind of my own. I'm so easily swayed by the opinions of other posters!
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 11:47 AM

I flat out dislike Gaudi, and since my husband was robbed in Barcelona and someone tried to wrestle my purse from me, I'm not a fan of the city.

I try to be objective and say that perhaps it was just my poor choice of restaurants and tapas bars that made me think Barcelona was overrated as a food destination (the covered market in Genova is better).

I try to be objective and confess that because I like movies so much and Gaudi so little, of course I would jump at another chance to be in Torino, while I drag my feet at the thought of spending another day in Barcelona.

I can't really help. If you like chocolate, movies, truffles, quirky museums, the apertivo hour and the Italy of the 19th century plus to die for food, Torino could be fun in November, where a beach scene doesn't matter.

If you want to see a beloved tourist destination, with Gaudi and Picasso thrown in, want tapas and a party scene -- and, if you are serious, Catalonian art and the archtecture of Domenech I Montaner -- you might want to cross Barcelona off your list.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 12:03 PM

November weather is iffy ( i.e. rain) almost anywhere in Europe.
In addition to everything mentioned above , I would think about number and variety of places ( museums, galleries, etc,) where to spend a part of the day (just in case) .
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 10:13 AM

Sorry goddesstogo

I'm currently trying to learn Spanish and Italian which leaves me screwed up with typing in English! The Italian pronunciations leave my English spelling a mess. It should have read genteel. I have no idea of the Jewish or non Jewish make-up of Turin!!

Staying with our friends in a lovely suburb of North Turin. I think danon makes really valid point about the weather. After 6 hours trailing round Barcelona in 35oC we had just had enough. In Turin we had 20oC in late October, having left Scotland and the usual bloody awful weather.

Turin is a far more relaxed place with many of those "genteel" old school cafe shops which don't look as they have changed much in 200 years.

Even with the oddities of Gaudi I still had the feeling that Barcelona was another of of those large world cities, well served by a multitude of low cost flights and the hoards that follow.

Turin just seems to have retained its own culture and feel. I had the feeling of being out of place with blond hair, which was a nice feeling. I actually felt I was in Italy.

This may sway you.

www.barattiemilano.it/

Hot chocolate to kill you!
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 10:15 AM

Or this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xVomjzVdC0
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 10:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, but I'll bet those living ststues in barcelona are a hell of a lot more fun than the ones they might have in Turin!!!

Goddess, you are a LOT braver than I am in terms of asking one of these "compare and contrast" questions here and you didn't even ask anyone to compare and contrast!

I, personally, didn't find Barcelona to be scruffy and dirty at all and that is the one city where I have been pickpocketed.

Creative architecture..I guess not if you "hate Gaudi" but at least the responding person was honest about their own bias.

"Overcrowded?" Now just how we go about finding out a city is "overcrowded" is anyone's guess. If that means "there were a whole bunch of people trying to see the same things I was when i was there" then perhaps I could understand.

"Drug taking on view"...some things are always better concealed I guess since that means you don't have to deal with them..but was this cocaine? alcohol? nicotine? Who knows.

Hey, good luck. Too bad you aren't into opera cause if you were then there's no question in my mind where you should go.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 10:40 AM

"Yeah, but I'll bet those living ststues in barcelona are a hell of a lot more fun than the ones they might have in Turin"

Another reason to go for Turin.

Avoid Las Tat Ramblas.

God I hate Las Ramblas.

If I wanted to see drunken Essex girls I would go to Essex. Easyjet have a lot to answer.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 12:51 PM
ekc

Another vote for Torino. Fantastic food, the best chocolate (Guido Gobbino), gorgeous architecture, beautiful covered shopping "passages", lovely cafes, capital of Piemonte (best food region in Italy IMHO) ... I would return in a minute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -