Amalfi Coast lodging suggestions??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are celebrating my 30th birthday in late June and would like to visit the Amalfi Coast and Capri. We love italy and I love cooking so looking forward to about 9-10 days between the two locations to relax/enjoy food/get some sun. Can anyone suggest a luxury but preferably smaller property on the Amalfi Coast? I like the looks of the Casa Privata (particularly the sunning areas built onto the rocks near the water) but am concerned about it not having a restaurant on-site so always requiring a steep walk for at least 2 meals a day. That said, given that we're going during peak tourist season, perhaps the privacy makes it worth it. Can anyone comment? Having a pool would also be a huge benefit as I would like a fair amount of down time on this trip.

In Capri, I think we'll be choosing La Minerva.
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 07:29 AM

Consider adding Ischia to the mix. We much preferred it to Capri...

On the Amalfi Coast, we loved Residenze Luce (http://www.residenzaluce.it/) and the restaurant L'abside is fabulous and was the highlight of our 3-week trip foodwise (you can check my trip report). We walked to the beach everyday (2 minutes) and hiked to other lovely villages. It's right in the middle of the town though, so it depends if that is what you are looking for. We took the boat from Amalfi to Capri.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 01:02 PM

My husband and I went to Postiano and Capri last June. I LOVED our hotel in Positano...called Covo Dei Saraceni. Beautiful rooftop pool, amazing room with a balcony overlooking the beach. Incredibly location- easy walking distance to everything in town and righ by the ferry for day trips to Ravello, etc. Highly recommend it!!

I was dying to stay at La Minerva when we went to Capri, but it was booked! So if it is available, I'd book it now. Otherwise we stayed at Hotel Flora (which is owned by the Quisisana) and was a good alternative...they upgraded us to a suite when we arrived. Otherwise we had dinner at Villa Brunella and that looked great too.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 01:44 PM

Hotel Caruso, Ravello, Italy. Totally the bomb.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 01:58 PM

My kids and I stayed in Minerva we loved it there, free buffet breakfast to die for, we stayed 10 days, mostly in bed due to catching the swine flu in our ferry back from Positano.

They treated us great, the manager was very good to me and my son, daughter luckily was spared.