Worth remembering to take sensible precautions ?
I was in Montpellier yesterday with visitors : a 79 yr old couple.
The wife was victim of a pretty professional pickpocket. No one suspected anything until she realised her handbag felt lighter - and it was !
And of course the pickpocket had vanished.
It is worth describing the incident as a warning.
Place : Le Comedie tram stop
Time : 12.30
How ? : An apparent beggar approached us as we got off the tram. She was unfolding a cardboard sign that had indecipherable writing. After being told NO, Go Away, etc, she moved in towards the wife holding up the sign and saying "Pour le bebe". She then came very close and appeared to stumble. Her other hand (must have been under the sign), opened the handbag and grabbed items. She then disappeared. There was no sign of her 30 seconds later when the wife realised what had happened.
Result : Could have been much worse. The front section held a purse, some postcards, and a few photos. The important stuff was at the back. Losses were a couple of credit cards (reported stolen immediately using the mobile phone she missed) and about Euro 100. A couple of hours with disinterested gendarmes completed the pain !
Description : The woman looked East European, short brown hair, slim, dark eyes, dark red top, back trousers aged about 40: in fact looked just like other "beggars". Curiously as she arrived she had what appeared to be a tram ticket in her hand. Escape clue, or disguise I don't know.
I was stood about 2m away and didn't notice a thing.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 XFINITY !:855:843:8475- Password Recovery Xfinity CONTACT Tec*h 24by7
- 2 Must See/Do/Eat in Vienna?
- 3 My France Vacation
- 4 Is it hard to find a job in Nikolaev, Ukraine?
- 5 Where to Eat in Barcelona
- 6 Advance tickets for Sagrada and Park Guell
- 7 Tour Company recommendations for St. Petersburg
- 8 London vacation rental agency
- 9 Is Bologna ok for a 3 months stsy?
- 10 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 11 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 12 Greece during Easter week or August
- 13 Iceland driving in March
- 14 Northern Spain road trip
- 15 Manchester Christmas Markets 2017
- 16 Help with Spain itinerary
- 17 More time in Belgium or Germany?
- 18 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 19 Buying RER Ticket CDG-Paris
- 20 Where to stay in Naples?
- 21 Driving
- 22 Malaga Christmas lights
- 23 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 24 10 days in Cologne Munich Switzerland
- 25 Car hire from Venice to Croatia and bosnia