Search

May 2005 Rome - Venice Airfare

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:20 AM
DAJ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May 2005 Rome - Venice Airfare

I have found an airfare of $787 Chicago - Rome - Venice & Rome - Chicago in later part of May '05. Is this a good price. The 1st time we travelled to Italy we paid quite a bit more and I wanted to know the liklihood of the pricing coming down?

Also, the connection time between the Rome & Venice flight is 1 hour, is that enough? The other option is 7 hours (ish)?

Thanks for your help
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:26 AM

Hi, can't quite help you, but presumably you know that you can click on your own name to get all your posts -- you could always top the other one.

I did check Rome/Venice train connections for you and it looks like it will be at least 4 hours. Volare supposedly flies this route -- if you're concerned about the short connection, perhaps pay a little extra to fly on Volare?
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:49 AM

We always travel in May, and frankly this is a bit early to get a ticket deal. I generally hold out until Jan or Feb (unless I'm booking with ff miles, and those I'll book as early as possible to get the best flight times and seats.) If that fare fits your budget, however, go with it (again you'll probably be able to get a better seat assignment and flight time) and then don't look at fares from that point on, because you will have confidence that you've got exactly what you want, and that might be worth more than saving $100 or so.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:55 AM

PS -- that hour between arrival in Rome and departure for Venice
could change between now and next year, as well. Flight schedules are always subject to change, and if you are ticketed they will work with you to make sure it works out.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:58 AM
DAJ
Original Poster

Thank you for the input.

To 111op, perhaps your initial comment is referring to having seen my post earlier. As a matter of fact, I did post this query early in the morning prior to leaving for work and could not find it, regardless of the attempts at searching under various methods, including my name.....go figure?

Thank you for looking at the train time as well.

I'm not going with the FF miles, but I am in so need of a vacation, I had to dream this am so when I sw that fare, I just wondered how good it really was.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:05 AM

Hi DAJ, that wasn't meant as a criticism, by the way. But you could always just click on your name ("DAJ&quot and all the threads that you've posted to will show up on the left. Do give it a try. In any case, this is useful because people could respond to both threads and you would then have to check both. And posters could repeat information that have been posted by others, etc. It wouldn't be very efficient.

The forum displays threads according to when they're last updated (the most recently updated ones first) -- so because no one had yet responded to your other thread, it fell down on the list.

In any case, just thought that you might want to know. No big deal really.

Volare only has a couple of flights a day, it looks like. But maybe one of these will allow you a better connection than 7 hours. I'd probably check with the airline to see if they would put you on the later flight if you miss the earlier flight. But otherwise the more experienced travelers on this forum probably know better. I'm sure that you'll make it if the flight isn't delayed, of course.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:09 AM

By the way, another thought re the connection -- are you just going to Venice and Rome? Perhaps you can consider reversing the order. Go to Rome first, and then return to Chicago from Venice if the Venice to Chicago connection looks better.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:18 AM
DAJ
Original Poster

Greetings 1110p,

Thank you for your kind words and please do not feel I took you constructive comments as a critism (I wish I knew how to make those smiley faces, as I'd put one here).

Your idea of a reversal bears looking into, although the apartments are already booked. My elderly mom will be with us and because there are no "taxis" as readily available in Venice, that after the walking, she may appreciate Rome. But I will check out this alternative, as I think I've got the time as Uhoh (love that nameing convention) pointed out.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:25 AM

Great! I've never booked this early, but there're others here who do as well. I also wonder if you can check with a consolidator (for example, 1800flyeurope.com that I've used and that someone here recommended) -- but I wonder if the consolidator have discounted fares for those dates yet.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:29 AM
yk

Pasted here for continuity:

-------------------------------------
Author: DAJ
Date: 07/22/2004, 11:32 am
Message: Before work this AM I happened to check AA for flights to Rome from Chicago and connecting to Venice next May '05 and returning from Rome. The cost was $787 rountrip. This seems pretty good considering my first trip to Italy was quite a bit more.

The connection time between flights FCO to Venice is 1 hour, AA to Lufthansa flight; this seems tight. The only other alternative is 7 hours (ish).

I would appreciate more seasoned travelers thoughts on this.

Thanks.
------------------------------------

DAJ-
1hr connection time is not enough. What if your outbound flight is delayed for 30mins?

AS far as I know, AA & Lufthansa are not partner airlines. So, are you booking the 2 flights separately? If you are, just be aware that
#1) If your 1st flight is delayed and
you miss your 2nd flight, Lufthansa will just cancel your ticket and you'll have to pay full fare to buy another ticket for the next flight.
#2) AA may not check your luggage thru to Venice (IF you have checked luggage). That means you'll have to retrieve your luggage from the AA flight and then recheck them on the LH flight.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:47 AM
DAJ
Original Poster

Wow, yk, thanks for that posting. I must have been in a real daze this morning as I can't seem to find that stupid post. I wonder if it has something to do with not being able to sleep since 11 pm last night......work worries (agh!!!!)
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:59 AM

DAJ
I will just pass along something that may apply to your situation. Last week, we went from Houston to Rome via Amsterdam and returned over the same route. Going over we had an hour and a half to make the Rome connection in Amsterdam (Continental to KLM). We made it but our luggage didn't and it cost us a day or so valuable time waiting on it to catch up with us in Rome. An hour is cutting it close for an international flight. However, if you are going to be in Venice for a day or two, I would suggest you carry on a days worth of clothing if you are going to try to cut it that close. It might work perfectly for you tho. Secondly, as far as the fare is concerned. The most expensive week of the year was last week insofar as airfares are concerned. We paid $965 for our roundtrip fares, which was the cheapest I could find. Hope this helps.
Shrink
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 12:54 PM

aa.com does let you buy itinerary that has connecting flights on airlines that are not partner with AA, and not in the oneworld alliance. The flight from Rome to Venice is actually operated by an airline called "Air One".

Since your whole trip will be on the same itinerary, you'll be covered if you miss your connection, though it's likely you'll have to wait a long time. And you will not be able to get a boarding pass in Chicago, and must go to an Air One agent in Rome to get your boarding pass. Same thing on the return. Bags will be checked through, though.

Having said that, you may want to see if there are other connections that are not as tight, via London, Paris, Brussels, Frankfurt, etc...

Also, $787 is not a good fare. I can see <$700 for ORD-VCE travel all of May 2004 on AA, BA or Iberia. Tax included.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 03:29 PM
DAJ
Original Poster

RKKWAN, Thanks for the guidelines regarding luggage being checked through on the same itinerary. I will look at a connection through London and the other places you mentioned. Now that I have a better feel for the $ target I am more comfortable re: what to go for.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:25 PM
ira

Hi daj,

It's a good, not a great, price.

Have you considered training from Rome to Venice and flying out of Venice or Rome?

You might save some money. For example, I found RT ORD/Rome for $690 at http://airtravelcenter.com/onetrav.htm.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 05:18 PM
DAJ
Original Poster

Hello ira,

Yes, I'm actually considering doing the reverse direction now. Because we will have mom in tow (she'll be 71), I am approaching this trip with primarily her comfort & speed in mind.

If we do the reverse, (i.e. land in Rome and spend the week then train it to Venice), upon our return, whichever is more economical & relaxing (i.e. train or air) we will do, back to Rome to fly out the next day.

The only issue with this is what to do for 1 night. I've planned this with apartments in mind, 1 which is already booked in Venice. This will be so much more comfortable and economical but I don't think we can do that for 1 night in Rome.

That is why my initial plan was to see Venice 1st then Rome. I am still playing with these options, but I will have to act fast as I must contact my Venice apartment to switch if this is what I'll do.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:20 PM
rex

DAJ - - it is 100% commonplace that there is NO other way to find your pervious posts other than clicking on your own name. <b>Search</b>ing on your own name (or anything else) will NOT work until the database of all threads is <i>re-indexed</i>, a process which is not (always) done daily.

And, as for &quot;smileys&quot; - - http://www.fodors.com/forums/smileys/

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:31 AM

DAJ,

The best and easy way to go is the following :
Chicago-Milan and from there take the train to Venice.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 05:07 AM
DAJ
Original Poster

After searching for the best combo (i.e. not a LONG layover anywhere and flight on AA), I have found the following multi leg flight......

ORD to FCO ...stay 1 week in Rome; then train to Venice

VCE to Brussels to ORD .....my question is that the time between the VCE &amp; BRU flight is 2.5hours. This seem sufficient, is it? I've not been to this airport (i.e. brussels) and do not know the logistics.

Thank you for your help.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 05:52 AM

The Brussels airport was supposedly voted somewhere as one of the best in Europe. I've passed through it a couple of times and I'm always confused -- still I think that 2.5 hours should be more than sufficient unless your flight is delayed for some reason. It's nowhere as complicated as the big US airports (O'Hare or JFK, for example).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -