Driving from Milan, Italy to Vaduz, Liechtenstein in Spring

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband a I are planning a 10 day, round-trip drive from Munich down to Rome and thought it would be nice to go back to Munich through Switzerland. We are going the last week in March and worry that the roads may close due to a Spring snow storm. We are planning to stick to the main roads (A13), do we need to be concerned?
We would also like to stop at Neuschwanstein castle and possibly Linderhof castle on the way back to Munich, do we need to worry about closures on A96; B12; A980 or A7 if it snows?
I was also reading we may need a special permit to drive in Switzerland? Is this something the rental car agency should provide?
Any suggestions for rental car companies out of Munich Airport (most reviews seem bad for all of them)?
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 09:40 PM

A13 is an important itinerary and efforts are made to keep it open unless weather conditions are very severe, but it reaches an high elevation and snow is frequent in winter. For example today you would find snow on the higher section but the road is still open. Winter tires are a must. Of course, the later you drive, the higher are the probabilities of finding a clear road. You can check online the status of the road before committing to the trip. (http://www.tcs.ch/de/auto-mobilitaet...uelle-lage.php)

Swiss highways are paid through a sticker to be glued on the car windshield. As the price of the sticker is the same (CHF40) if you drive for a few hours or if you drive for the whole year, it is somewhat expensive for a single trip. You can hope somebody already glued a sticker on the car you are renting but do not expect it; non-Swiss rental agencies will not provide it. As you enter Switzerland at Chiasso you will be stopped at border point and if you do not have a sticker you will be sold one on the spot.
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 05:50 AM

As said above, A13 is open all the year round and almost always free of snow. The highest point along this itinerary is at an altitude of 5300ft/1610m.
The risk for heavy snowfall in the last week of March is small, but cannot be completely excluded.
But even then, the road might be closed for hrs rather than for days.
The Swiss sticker costs 40 CHF and gives you the right to use all Swiss highways and road tunnels during a whole year.
In Italy, you would pay 40 EUR/50 CHF for only 1 ride and tunnel crossing of the same length (Gd St-Bernard).

The road toll from Rome to the Swiss border at Chiasso will cost you 46 EUR/57 CHF.
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the help!
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 02:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
If driving through Austria at all, there's another toll sticker (Vignette) needed to drive on highways in Austria. Cost is 8 Euro for a sticker good for 10 consecutive days. Buy it gas stations, convenience stores, etc. As with Switzerland, do not drive on a highway without one.

We've rented through Andy Bestor at www.gemut.com for our last 4 trips in Germany, Austria and Italy, all originating from Munich airport and returning at the same.

Paul
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 02:18 PM

Just an observation, seems like an awful lot of driving for 10 days.
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 02:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
at the risk of being told to mind my own business, just why are you inflicting this dodgy, potentially dangerous, and undoubtedly expensive trip upon yourselves? Twice?

There must be some compelling reason for doing this at a potentially inclement time of year, when there are so many other places you could go and spend 10 days driving, where the weather is almost certainly going to be better - Sicily, Andalucia, Portugal..
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Annhig & Paul,
Thank you for your comments, concern and advice. I know it sounds like a lot of driving; but I would like to see as many sights as possible. This will be my second trip to Germany and Italy. The last time was with my sister and mother 7 years ago, at the same time of year (late march). We had good weather and had a great time, and enjoyed the freedom that a car provided. For this trip, I altered the course a bit and will return to Munich through Switzerland (last time we returned to Munich the same way we entered Italy - through Austria) We had no trouble passing through the Alps. Do you think it will be worse through Switzerland?
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 06:22 PM

"Do you think it will be worse through Switzerland?" I can't comment as we've never driven in Switzerland at this time of year. I know you're trying to see as many sights as possible, but I think you'll spend way too much time driving and seeing things through the windshield instead of enjoying/experiencing where you are. Munich to Rome to Switzerland back to Munich. My only suggestion is to find sights closer together than traveling so much.

I'm just wondering... how do you have your nights (stays) planned along this route?

Paul
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 12:10 AM

"Do you think it will be worse through Switzerland?"
It's not a matter of country, but a matter of weather all over the Alps. In some years, March is rather warm, in others it may snow (all over the Alps, only along the northern slopes of the Alps, only in the French, Swiss or Austrian Alps; nobody knows in advance).
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 08:20 AM

I know it sounds like a lot of driving; but I would like to see as many sights as possible.>>

it doesn't sound like a lot of driving, it IS a lot of driving. You actually can't see a lot from a car - but you already know this. A one-way trip would make so much more sense - half the distance, twice the time to see things.

oh but what about the one-way car hire supplement? well, first of all, it's worth finding out what it is and comparing it to the cost of the petrol you're going to use driving back to Munich from Rome.

secondly, if you are mainly going to see cities, you might consider using trains instead.

and thirdly, if you went somewhere like the south of Italy or Sicily, that wouldn't matter.
and it's is likely to be warmer there too.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 09:58 AM

Another vote for European driving.

Of all the trip we have ever undertaken, driving from Scotland to Siena ranks as No 1 by a long, long way.

We could have booked an Easyjet flight and hired a car for half the price but nowhere near as fun.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 12:08 PM

Of all the trip we have ever undertaken, driving from Scotland to Siena ranks as No 1 by a long, long way.>>

I've nothing against european driving, Dickie, far from it. but there's driving, and driving. did you get to Siena then turn round and drive straight back home again? or did you plan the trip so that you'd have sufficient time to see things and explore as you went along, as well as having a decent amount of time when you got to Siena.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 12:33 PM

True, we did spend two weeks there. Drove mainly to take the dog, so had to drive very quickly wit short stops.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 12:58 PM

True, we did spend two weeks there. Drove mainly to take the dog, so had to drive very quickly wit short stops.>>

exactly.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 01:02 PM

God, you're beginning to sound like the missus. Can't cope with two Janisj's on one forum.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 01:11 PM

I hope you're not expecting me to apologise for that, Dickie.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Wow, sounds like this topic is heating up! Didn't mean to cause an argument..
Paul, Thanks for the advice on car rental; I did contact them and they are getting a quote together for us. I broke up the driving quite a bit with only 3 long driving days. Mainly Munich to Venice; Venice for 2 nights; long drive to Rome with a stop in Orvieto for a few hours. Stay in Rome 3 nights; Back to Arezzo (to stay in a castle)for 2 nights; stopping in Siena on the way. Short drive to Lucca via
Pisa of course, for one night. Then another long drive day from Lucca to Vaduz, depending on weather may stop to visit Duomo in Milan for a couple of hours. The last day will be a short drive to Munich maybe stopping to see Neuschwanstein castle or just visit some sights in Munich.
I have looked into buying rail passes, etc. but they end up costing more in the long-run and you lose the flexibility a car provides. Besides, I really can't see my husband lugging luggage around a crowded train station without losing his temper (I need to keep this trip easy on both of us or I will never get him to cross the pond again! ha, ha) Not to mention all the transfers and cab rides that add up.
Thanks for all of your help; this should be an interesting trip!
PS How has the weather been in Europe this winter so far? I mean in general; I live near Chicago and this winter has been the worst! Lots of snow and below average temperatures. Don't plan on coming to the mid-west till June; it will take that long for Lake Michigan to thaw!! Kath
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 01:33 PM

Hi,

I have to ask, basically out of sheer curiosity: why drive 6 hours to stay a night in Liechtenstein? We stayed in Triesenberg, Liechtenstein on our very first night, on our very first trip to Europe. Nice enough, but nothing special at all, in my opinion.

Just asking if you're aware (I'm sure you are):

Munich airport to Venice is about 6:30 without stopping.

Venice to Rome via Orvieta is roughly 7 hours non stop.

Most other driving days are over 4 hours driving (the short drives?).

Not criticizing, just a whole lot of driving, sooo much time spent in the car instead of enjoying being in Europe. Everyone's different and that's fine.

BTW, we've had more snow than I can remember also.

Paul
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Yes, you are right it is a lot of driving. But sometimes I feel like this will be my last trip (even though it is only my second) to Europe. My husband does not like to travel outside the US (except to fish in Canada) He is doing this trip for me and to celebrate our 25th wedding anniv. Maybe I'll be burning him out on this trip? He usually does not mind long driving trips. We are used to pulling all-nighters to get to Disney or Canada because it is too expensive to fly with 4 kids in tow. I wish we had more time to spend on this trip, hopefully in the future (we still have 3 of the 4 at home)we will have more time, or maybe my kids will let me tag along with them
Maybe I am making a mistake trying to hit too many places, but I did all the driving on my last trip and don't remember being too tired from the driving? I guess I was 7 years younger!
As far as staying in Vaduz, I guess it is a novelty thing and as long as we need to cross the Alps again, might as well be in a different place.
I've been reading the reviews for Gemut, all have been good, so thanks again Paul for the tip; we will probably book through them.
Paul: If you don't mind me asking; Where are you from?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -