Northern Spain Road Trip

Search

Northern Spain Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2012, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern Spain Road Trip

Will be driving from Vigo up and across to San Sebastian over the course of about 6 or 7 days.

My bf and I will def be stopping in:

Vigo
Costa da Morta
Fisterra/Coruna
Santander
Gijon
Bilbao
San Sebastian

Thoughts of which places we should just make pit stops at and which places we should actually spend a night or two.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:37 PM

7 nights and seven locations?
To be brutally honest one night stands do not work.
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

No, most of these cities will just be a drive through. We have mapped it out well and it works. I just can't decide which places to stay over night. I.E. Shall we just have breakfast in Gijon, Lunch in Bilbao and then end in San Sebastian for three nights?

I am trying to decide how long to spend in each place. Some of these cities are tiny and I don't need a whole day.

Thanks!
Old May 24th, 2012, 11:38 AM

Driving from Vigo to Gijon by way of Costa da Morte and Fisterra/Á Coruna will take more than 7 hours, without stopping to see anything.
Old May 24th, 2012, 11:40 AM

You could easily spend 6-7 days just between Bilbao and San Sebastian. Personally I'd focus more on one specific area in such a short time.
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:28 PM

Talillama your reply makes your plan even worse.
Please slow down and see something of Spain. Do not tick a box in your planner.
Old May 26th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

HI all

I appreciate any feedback. Just a little FYI:

The reason for making some stops in the Spanish towns just for a few hours is more of a rest stop/ there is a restaurant on my list that we really want to try. I am not trying to see everything.

That being said, our itinerary will allow us 5 days and 6 nights. If you have suggestions on which towns listed about might be more worth a night stay it would be much appreciated.

We will be in San Sebastian for 2-3 nights already.

Thank you.
Old May 26th, 2012, 07:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We loved Bilbao. Beyond the Guggenheim, we found the town charming and had some good meals there. Problem is its only 2hour or less from SS. Didn't stay in Santander, but across the water in a small town. Visited Santander and didn't love it.
Old May 26th, 2012, 07:47 AM

SS must not be missed. If you are driving you can see much of the surrounding areas whiule having this exceptional town to relax in and enjoy. Also, since parking is a problem try to find a place where they include parking..There are some. ZYou will love this part of the world..
Old May 31st, 2012, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Again, we are staying in SS for THREE nights. The other towns we will sleep in are either Bilbao or Gijon, La Coruna and Santiago.

New replies should be about those cities and what cool things there are to do. I have all the site seeing down, but now need suggestions for off the beaten path type things. Art galleries, shopping, parks, nightlife.

Thank you!
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 02:43 AM

I'd be very interested in the restaurants you've chosen in the various cities...would you mind posting a list of these?

I've taken the drive across the north and can tell you that the scenery in many spots is gorgeous; I'd be happy to offer additional suggestions on where to stay but it sounds as if you have this worked out already, hence my request to see the chosen eating spots. I wrote a report about my last trip to SS (although this was about 6 years ago) which you can find by clicking on my name; most of it centers on food, so you can understand my curiosity about where you plan to eat!!
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 06:12 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We really enjoyed staying in Baiona outside of Vigo. Also look at Ribadesilla.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 07:06 AM

Small towns on the coast that I like include Luarco, Llanes, and Leiketo. (L's were on sale). Each has interesting harbors and great local seafood. Moreover, their size makes access a piece of cake.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 07:23 AM

I too am not a fan of your itinerary. I assume you are flying into Vigo because Ryanair has a good fare. Vigo is not a pretty city but there is a ferry to one of the most beautiful beaches in Europe, Islas de Cies.

There is no compelling reason to go to A Coruña let alone stay there.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 08:34 AM

Ryanair do not fly to Vigo.
The OP is not flying details in this thread.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...orto-spain.cfm
I too have written my feelings about this itinerary in both posts. But the OP gives me the impression they do not like my advice. So it goes to say we are not all the same.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 12:36 PM

I did not offer suggestions about cities and towns because I got the impression that the route plan is determined by certain restaurants. I would love to know which ones!
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Not sure where everyone got the info that I was flying to Vigo as that is absolutely not the case and I never once mentioned such.

Weber and HappyTrvlr- Thanks for the city suggestions. Have been looking into the details of Llanes (and other L's)as they seem more interesting and tranquil than the larger cities.

Our itinerary has changed a lot, in terms of where we are stopping and what we are doing but the trip will still begin in Vigo and end in San Seb.

I keep going back and forth regarding Coruna...have a friend who is from there originally and of course loves it, but then it seems a bit dull to me (compared to other places of course...it seems beautiful still, but may want a little more).

Also am wondering if Cangas de Onis / Covadonga area is worth going to?
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 12:57 PM

Some more clues for you.
http://youtu.be/YivQrC8KX9o
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 02:40 PM

For overnights , I would suggest Santiago.Cangas de Onís is nice too. I stayed there for a couple of nights a few years ago, at the Parador and spent part of a day in Covadonga and at the lakes of Enol and Ercina, lovely!
From your list , I'm not that fond of Gijon. Love Santander as well(if its in the summer).
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 03:43 PM

Wow ribeirasacra, I'm thinking 3 weeks of my next trip. Nice video