Search

Calling All Turkey Experts!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling All Turkey Experts!

Hi,

My partner and I have 21 days available in late May/mid June 2014. We're thinking this would be the perfect amount of time and time of year to visit Turkey. We're interesting in staying in 3-4 different locales. We like to 'settle in' and savor each place (versus changing hotels every few nights). We're thinking:

1. Istanbul
2. Ephesus
3. Cappadoccia
4. Beach (possibly a Gullet in lieu of the beach)

We'll get our International Air SFO/Istanbul on either Lufthansa or Swissair, they both have decent schedules.

Any suggestions for a basic itinerary? Interested in sites, hotels (3-4 star, at around $100 p/night) and any air/car suggestions.

BIG Thank you!

David
San Francisco
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 03:21 PM

You might want to take a look at my trip report which covers what you want to do except for the beach/gullet option; click on my name to find it.
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 03:56 PM
kja

And my trip report might prove useful to you, too. I also spent 3 weeks there (actually, a tad more), mostly in May -- a glorious time to be in Turkey! I moved around a lot, but one could have seen most of what I visited by using bases, if that is one's preference.
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
We also did a near-identical trip in 2011. If you decide on a beach area I would strongly suggest Cirali. It is an amazing place. For my trip report search here or for the report with pictures see:

http://members.rennlist.org/imcarthur/turkey.htm

Ian
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 05:25 PM

Check out Turkeytravelplanner.com
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your quick responses, Michael, kja, Ian, leuk2 !!!!

Ian- your trip looks just like what we were thinking! I'm looking forward to reading through ALL later this evening.
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 08:27 PM

No me. Me. Me. My trip report.

We did a similar trip at the same time of year. Turkish Air is an excellent airline. Esbelli Evi, a cave hotel in Urgup is one of our favorite places. Take a look at Cesme as a possibility of a beach stay.

We stayed at a hotel called the Tan in Istanbul, modern, clean, international clientele, and decently priced in teh Sultanahmet.

The hotels in Sirince are up a death-defying road.

Try to get to Topkapi early, it is a zoo.

Turkish cuisine is underappreciated in the USA.

Here are some pictures. The old woman in black and a group at a table were taken in Chios, all other in Turkey.

We loved Turkey

https://plus.google.com/photos/11352...553?banner=pwa

https://plus.google.com/photos/11352...073?banner=pwa
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 10:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Be adventurous!
Do not read any trip reports!
Why repeat things others have done?
Do your own!

Joking, of'course.

Turkey is easy. Roads are good. Food is decent. Free Wi-FI everywhere.
Be prepared to drive at Cappadocia and on the Mediterranean.

You are not required to follow Big Al's recommendations!
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 04:42 AM

Wait, I took most of my recommendations from you Other!

So, I guess you are right, don't follow my advice!

(To the OP, we are friends or we were friends.)
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 12:13 PM
Ian

>No me. Me. Me. My trip report.

It did read like that didn't it? But it is the best way to get a 'boots on the ground' perspective. I read Michael's report (and many others) while I was planning our trip . . .

David: As you can see, we are all eager to help you with your questions.

otherchelebi: Ahmet, I owe you a dinner. When are you coming to this side of the Atlantic?

Ian
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 01:25 PM

99% of trip reports are filled with minutiae.

Just tell the guy what he wants to know and don't punish him by making him read that you arose 7:47 on the third day and had a boiled for breakfast.

Turkey is an extraordinary, varied, and vibrant country.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 01:55 PM

<i>99% of trip reports are filled with minutiae.</i>

But that's where useful information that might not exist in guidebooks can be found.

<i>Turkey is an extraordinary, varied, and vibrant country.</i>

Agreed, but the statement is not particularly useful for the reader who is trying to organize a trip.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 02:33 PM

The power of traveling independently is discovery on your own. That is the major reason people do not go a tour.

Mundane information, colorless description, and minutiae sap all the joy and strength of traveling espcially a country like Turkey.

Traveling is not about the individual who is traveling it is about the places and people they encounter.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 02:41 PM

<i>Mundane information, colorless description, and minutiae sap all the joy and strength of traveling espcially a country like Turkey. </i>

Amazing. What one reads perhaps months before traveling will completely ruin your actual travel experience.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 02:50 PM

No Michael, the joyless pursuit of inconsequential data that revolve around the traveler rather than the place is not instructive as to how wonderful a moment, a site, a person, a food, a smell may be.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 03:06 PM
Ian

To you, BigAl, to you . . .

Some of the rest us realize that it's a big world out there & we want a tiny bit of help before we go to a site at the wrong time, or eat at a seriously crappy restaurant etc. Vacations are short & why waste time & dollars? Yes, we can weed through thousands of posts on TA (many from one post wonders) or we can ask here or just read a trip report by somebody who has been there/done that. And some of us are more inclined to believe a person who went to the effort to write a trip report to communicate their personal impressions & feelings.

You obviously, want to have nothing but your own experiences & there is nothing wrong with that. Your choice: Don't read them. But don't criticize those of us that do.

Ian
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 03:49 PM

Awww, BigAl, I've cherished all the info I've gotten from other people's trip reports. I guess I just like advance research; it primes me for my trip.

David, if you feel like splurging, Turkish Airlines premium economy class ("Comfort" Class) is great. They fly out of LAX though, so you'd first have to make it down there. Also, they land in IST at a rather inconvenient time, around 5:30ish PM. However, they're pretty reasonably priced compared to similar offerings, and the extra legroom and amenities are wonderful given the long flight.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 06:43 PM

I do extensive research for trips and always like the advice given on Fodor's, but I find 99% of trip reports stultifying. They are cyber version of watching unedited slides of someone's trip. Once I see the empty words amazing, awesome, and yummy, the time someone woke up, or flight number, I hang up.

I did not single out someone for attention, thus the criticism is one person's version of what is and what isn't interesting.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 06:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Big Al the chopped liver at 2nd Avenue Deli was not Yummy!

The Pastrami was great until you distracted me so that Eser could gulp down most of the sandwich.

You and I write trip reports to share feelings without using many adjective or adverbs. Those who can empathize, we hope, will laugh, cry or sing with joy with us when they read our reports. If they also pick up something useful for a future trip, that is an additional benefit.

however, informative and factual trip reports are very useful especially if the OP has given some information about himself (herself) so that the reader can identify and tell whether and what he (she) should follow or not.

Unlike TA there is room here on Fodors for all of us, and I hope the readers will appreciate that they can get, answers to questions, funny travelogues and informative trip reports without changing web sites.

I also give direct facts to help trip planners to Turkey without value judgements since i have no idea what the readers' values are.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 06:33 AM

I appreciate your thoughts OC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -