Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

No trip report yet, but an update if you´re interested...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings everyone...<BR><BR>Just a note to say thanks for everyone´s help over the past few months. The first half of my trip over a lot of western europe was a success, of course due largely to the advice on this board. <BR><BR>I say the first half, because I have decided on the fly to extend my trip until May sometime. I was to fly home on March 14th. <BR><BR>My planned itinerary went to pot, as many of these backpacker trips do. The plan was to do a circle around Western Europe. Instead I made something that resembles the star of David somewhere around Austria, the Czech Republic, and Italy. Freedom is a funny thing.<BR><BR>With my trip now only half over, I will make a mad dash from Spain to Slovenia at some point next week, when my Eurail pass expires. I would like to visit Greece. It was the one place that I thought I would DEFINITELY not see on this trip, so I actually ripped it out of my guidebook before I left home back in January. Now I am at a loss! More than anything, I realize not to expect things will turn out in a certain way...it rarely ever does. Lots of planning to do for this unexpected part two, and I will be reading a lot of your advice to do it. <BR><BR>So far I have really enjoyed Bruges, Prague, Cesky Krumlov, and Florence. Barcelona, where I am now, of course is wonderful. In two months, I have had wonderful weather. I have not seen a bad day of rain once. It´s wild to finally visit all of these places that I´ve read so much about on this board.<BR><BR>Thanks all...
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 03:07 PM

<BR>I am interested! <BR>I am also very impressed that you did this all by yourself! You are a brave lady, Mina!<BR> (not that there are so many dangers, just that it is hard to be alone and travelling in a strange country)
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 03:16 PM

Good for you Mina! Let your youth lead you on! Have fun for those of us who aren't travelling this year. <BR>Have you experienced any anti-American sentiments? <BR>Anyway, you are representing us well, I am sure.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 06:02 PM

Wow, Mina, you haven't even told us that much and we're facinated!!! Can't wait to hear how the &quot;unplanned&quot; second half goes. Good luck. (I'm kinda jealous.....)<BR>
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 08:44 PM

Go Mina Go!
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 05:15 AM

When I saw you post a reply on the &quot;How did you choose...&quot; thread, I was hoping you'd be posting something about your adventure soon. Great to hear the little bit you've shared so far.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful time on your second half. I'll be looking forward to details later!
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi again...<BR><BR>Janeygirl, I have been writing quite a bit since I got to Europe...I reckon it has to be over 50 pages now, so I have no idea how I am ever going to get a trip report out of it to post here without boring people to death. It´s become a bit of a serial, with no beginning or real end to one chapter. I have been emailing them to a few fodorites I met in socal, but that´s about it. Email me if you are interested...I really enjoyed your trip report from awhile back.<BR><BR>Ladyfirefly, here in Barcelona, there are antiwar signs everywhere, but I have not experienced anything directly antiamerican. I´ve only spoken Spanish since I´ve gotten here though, and I think I often get confused for a Japanese tourist. <BR><BR>I see antiwar signs here and there in Europe, but overall, I think people are happy to have the tourist dollars, especially during the winter season. People are generally decent enough to judge you as an indvidual, and not a whole. But if I had a dime for everything time I´ve heard &quot;no offense&quot; or &quot;I know it´s not your fault, but...&quot;<BR><BR>I hope people continue to travel. I know I am.<BR><BR>Cheers.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 08:30 AM

just one word to describe my feelings Mina quot;IMPRESSED.&quot;You are a brave, perphas crazy lady Mina...My compliments!!!!!
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 08:42 AM

Good to hear that all is well Mina. We'll miss you at Art's GTG this month. Look forward to hearing all about your travels when you return.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 08:58 AM

Couldn't find your email address on Fodors but I'd love to read what you have whenever you have time to send it.<BR><BR>My email is: [email protected]<BR><BR>Thanks!
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 01:59 PM
RAR

Bah, down with Florence up with Bologna! And don't miss Croatia, Italy's more picturesque neighbor.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

RAR, Croatia is definitely in the plans. Every backpacker I met who has been there has raved about it. I will stop off there and then try to find my way to Greece. Let me know if you have any more suggestions!<BR><BR>As I said, I am in Barcelona now, and stopped into an internet cafe (it´s past midnight here), on my way out to another bar I was invited to (or debating if I should go, anyway). I can´t hang with these Spaniards...I am already so tired! No wonder they have siestas...<BR><BR>Ay yi yi...
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 02:50 PM
RAR

Yea I had 2 roomates from Barcelona, they were studying here in Bologna for the first semester .. they always had so much more energy than me! Hah.<BR><BR>Only other suggestion I have is to come to visit Bologna, this city amazes me daily =)
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 03:54 PM

How terrific - I CAN'T WAIT til you can do your reports. Have a great time - well I guess that is understood since you are obviously having a lot of fun.