Reload this Page >

New Year's Strauss Concert

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Shanna

After another New Year's watching the Strauss Concert on PBS, I've placed my order for the lottery to get tickets next year. Has anyone done this before and had any luck? Should I submit a request for each of the three dates, or is that not permitted perhaps? Also, has anyone actually been to the concert? If so, what was that like, what was Vienna like at that time, how difficult was it to get hotel reservations, etc. Many thanks.

Old Jan 11th, 2004, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have just decided to go to Austria for Christmas (2004) and have entered the lottery for the New Year's Eve concert in Vienna.

Has anyone done this? Any relevant info would be appreciated.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 06:45 PM

topping
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 11:40 PM

There is just one New Years concert given that you see on Tv. I am confused about your bidding on 3.

The Concert is well worth the visit. the Hall itself is much smaller than it appears on TV.Sound is perfect no matter where you sit.
Prepare well in advance for a visit as the city is full of tourists at that time. Hotels ,this year were sold out. Special celebrations are found everywhere in the center of the city for all ages. From waltz to rock-you can find it.Try to get a center city hotel as it is much easier to reach all the celebrations.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 07:14 AM

molker -- yes, there is only one televised concert, but there are concerts on the 30th and the 31st.

I was wondering if anyone had entered the lottery to get tickets, and if so, did they get them, what are the chances, and do you plan your trip as if you were going to get them? (we have). And, is there another way to obtain tickets?

We have already found a hotel and made reservations, but are curious about the whole concert ticket situation.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 07:29 AM

Tries2PakLite,

Don't really know the answers, but I've put in a request for tickets, too. I suspect it's very unlikely, but somebody has to win the lottery!

We have tentative plans to be in Austria in mid-January for a big birthday, but don't yet know for how long, exactly. I'd really like to see some of the pre-Christmas stuff, such as the markets, too. We'll probably stay with a cousin in Vienna, so that part can stay flexible.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 11:42 AM

We also have reservations for a hotel in Vienna for next New Years. I asked the hotel if there was any way other than the lottery to get tickets. The reply came back "No other way--Impossible"
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 12:12 PM

When I was a college student, I spent a fun-filled New Years in Vienna, travelling with a couple of classmates. We did everything we could think of (except the Lippizaner horses/impossible to get in!)- at the last minute with no advance tickets, including attending the Strauss Concert. BUT we had to make do with Standing Room tickets. Always an option if your legs can handle it & the lottery doesn't go your way.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 07:15 PM

elberko -- We'll have to keep our fingers crossed and, well, whatever else might work ![-o<
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 01:54 AM

for Tries2Paklite: You did not understand my answer regarding the New Years concert. Yes the Wiener Philharmonic does give 3 concerts -30-31 and 1st.
The next year conductor to be Loren Maazel.
You can bid for tickets on all 3, but the real" concert" is deemed to be that on the 1st as is clearly shown by the difference in prices.( 150 -530 vs. 120-350 for those 30 and 31st.)In fact the concert on the 30th is deemed the preliminay concert.
Several other concerts are performed elsewhere in Vienna that call themselves " New Years Concert" Some tourists buy tickets only to be surprised by their mistake.

I should mention that some ticket agencies always have a few tickets to the real concert for sale at a big price. If one is not lucky in the draw, they can always try one of the agencies while here.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 05:06 PM

molker -- I did understand your answer, but I am confused about the difference between the "real" concert and the one on New Year's Eve? We understand that it is not the New Year's Day, televised, concert, but it is still the Philharmonic and the location is the same. Seems "real" to me.

We have to leave Austria on Jan. 1, so this is the most we can hope for.

I found this on the Wiener Philharmonic website:

<b>At the moment the ticket prices for the New Year's Eve and New Year's Day concert are between EUR 150,-- and EUR 530,--. The ticket prices for the pre-performance between EUR 120,-- and 350,-.</b>

Do you live in Vienna?

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 02:30 AM

To Tries2Paklite:

Yes I live in Vienna.

If you will not be here on the 1st then another must do.
It is a tradition here.
Even the CD of the concert becomes a number 1 best seller every year.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:11 AM

Rats!

I just got an email from the lottery. We won't be going...
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 07:31 AM

Tries2PakLite,

Have you heard anything yet?
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:04 AM

I have topped this thread because I would like to know how to enter the ticket lottery for the December 2004 and January 1 2005 concerts, which are already sold out. Anyone have information on this?

Also, I have tried e-bay but no one seems to be selling tickets, anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks for the help.
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:14 AM

Cicerone,

The lottery is available on their Web site in January for the following year.

I entered my name this year, but was't successful (few are, there are MANY more people interested than there are seats).
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:34 AM

It looks like the Strauss concert Web site hasn't be mentioned in any of these posts. Here's where to go for official info:

http://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/e...hrskonzert.htm
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:55 AM

Actually, the website for the Vienna Philharmonic was the first place I tried, that's where I found out they are already sold out; but there was no lottery info, which I now understand is because the lottery was last January.

Just to give everyone a good laugh, there is a website claiming to have tickets to the concerts. Check out the prices!

John Grant
Worldwide Opera &amp; Concert
Information Service
Phone Fax +61 2 9960 1465
www.wocis.com

Dear ---,

Yes, amazingly I can get tickets to this much in demand event through my
contacts in Vienna. I have just sold to two different clients on 30 &amp;
31. Prices are naturally very high due to demand.

NEW YEAR CONCERT 2005

1) 30 December 04: 11.00am 835 Euros

2) 31 December 04: 07:30pm 2000 Euros

3) 01 January 05: 11:00am, depending on seating preference:
655 Euros
4000 Euros
3325 Euros

Old May 30th, 2004, 06:50 PM

Elberko -- alas (gnashing of teeth), we will not be attending the concert either. I got the same email.

Maybe we can stage a small protest outside the concert hall, or perhaps hold our own concert? Are you an alto, a soprano, or perhaps a tenor?
Old May 31st, 2004, 04:48 AM

Tries2PakLite,

Singing is NOT one of my talents!

We're going to try again next year, and plan a winter trip to Vienna when we're successful. We're going to London and Paris instead.

~Liz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -