Rota, Spain and Fatima, Portugal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend's parents have offered to let me stay at their house in Rota, Spain (near the base) free of charge. My Boyfriend and I are backpacking so we're on a tight budget therefore, I would love to take them up on this offer to save money but the areas I plan to visit (Seville, Madrid, Barcelona, Granada) are no where near Rota. My questions are:

1. Should I just accept the offer and rent a car to do day trips to these areas?

2. If so, how far would it be to drive to each of these locations? I've checked various websites and have gotten many different time frames so I'm hoping someone has made one of these trips.

3. If not a car then what other form of affordable transport (trains, bus etc.) would work. We're not afraid of long trips but want to enjoy and not waste time traveling.

4. Just scrap the idea and shell out money for accomodations in each city.

On a side note: Is Fatima anywhere near Rota? Or can I take a daytrip there from any of the other cities in Spain? I'm catholic so I'd very strongly like to make a pilgrimage there but am not considering staying overnight and spending too much time in Portugal. (no offense to Portugal it's just that we are on a tight schedule)

Any answers (respectively) would be very much appreciated!!! Thanks in advance to many of the fodorties who have already contributed to my trip planning!!

-Kay
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 06:52 PM

First of all, do it! Get a car, the smaller the chepear and (better).

When we stayed in Marbella, we visited Granada,Rota, Malaga on day trips. So, the reverese is true as well.

I suggest you invest in a road map of Spain. DK where you live (one of my pet peeves with Fodor's, that they don't tell you). But if you live in the US, even a map from the AAA will give you the neede info. on distances. Better yet, go to Barnes & Noble or Borders, they have really good maps. You'll neet one anyhow, once you get there. It will tell you that Fatima is too far away.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

i do live in the US but my main concern is time for Madrid,Barcelona and Seville. Can/Should i do daytrips to those cities?! I'd like to spend at least a couple of days in each but don't want to risk spending to much money. not cheap, just on a very tight budget =D. perhaps I should just scrap Rota since the only city close to it in Granada? *sigh*
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 08:02 PM

You definately can't do a daytrip from Rota to Madrid or Barcelona. Even to Granada it's over 4 hours one way - a little much for a daytrip.

I'd still take them up on the offer of a free place to stay. There are a wealth of nearby places to visit: Sanlucar, Jerez, Cadiz, Arcos, El Puerto de Santa Maria, etc......
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 08:13 PM

You would well advised to get either a map or find a website that offers accurate driving times.

There are a number of inexpensive airlines that offer internal flights such as Vueling and Spanair and more expensive but with a greater number of locations, Iberia.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 11:27 PM

I've stayed in Rota several times. Seville is an easy day trip. As CathyM said, you can also easily visit Sanlucar (a favorite of mine), Jerez, Cadiz, Arcos, etc. Also, don't know when you are going, but in good weather, the beach in Rota is very nice. I also like the beach in Sanlucar. Granada and Madrid are too far for day trips.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 12:01 AM

KayDoll,

1. As others above - these are big day trips!
2. http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp
http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamich...MaHomePage.htm
3. Trains - http://www.renfe.es/ Buses - there are several companies. Flights.
4. I am not going to commit for you, if you have not been before, I would not look at any of your proposed destinations as a day trip, from anywhere.

Best wishes.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 09:12 AM

Also, you'll need more than a couple of days to visit each of these cities.

I'd budget 4 days minimum for Madrid w/daytrips to Toledo & Segovia. 4 days minimum for Barcelona. 4 days minimum for Sevilla w/daytrip to Cordoba and 2 days for Granada.

These are just my personal minimums - more days is even better.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. It appears I have some decisions to make