Europe 4 weeks w/ 2 kids

Search

Europe 4 weeks w/ 2 kids

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe 4 weeks w/ 2 kids

Hi, I am planning a trip this summer in July w/ my family for a month. I. I try to find tours but b/c I have a 3 years old, she's too little. The min age per the contiki and cosmo is 8!

There are 2 adults and 2 kids (ages 11 and 3).
We are planning to go to
London maybe for 2-3 days (any suggestions on places to stay in London? The hotel prices are very high for us). Then take the Euro pass to
Paris for 3-4 days.

Then we want to go to Amsterdam, Germany, Italy and Spain. I would like to spend a week in Spain.

I don't know how to plan it to be cost effective. i don't want to go up North to South then back up North. ETc.
Can someone suggest please?
How do I get from one country to another country?
I was thinking either to fly into London and fly back into the States from Madrid, Spain or vice versa.

Thanks a Million.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 11:14 AM

How easy is it to move the three year old? That should determine who often you will cities. There are a number of inexpensive but reliable airlines in Europe such as Vueling, EasyJet and the much hated RyanAir all of whom are very strict about the weight of your luggage and penalties for exceeding those limits.

The trains in the countries you want to visit are exceptional and you should consider them as well.

July of course is prime tourist season, so reservations for a family will crucial.

Spain is a very large and diverse country, so should read up on it and decide what and where you want to see.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 12:32 PM

You have 4 weeks, 2 cities, 3 countries and a 3 year old. I think this plan is overly ambitious.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 12:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Spain is out on a limb, both Italy and Spain will be hot, July is the start/mid of the holiday season. Europeans get loads of holiday and by law/culture take lots of it late July/August and a lot go to Spain and Italy.

There are ferries from near London to Amsterdam, flight or train http://www.seat61.com/Netherlands.htm

Once in Europe car hire makes more sense (LHS/RHS drive)

You could restrict yourselves to Western Germany in which case Netherlands to say Mosel/Rhine might be good with restricted travel

keep reading seat61 it explains train travel very well
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 01:58 PM

You want to spend a week in Spain, and another week between London and Paris. That would give you two weeks for the Netherlands, Germany and Italy. It's really a bit too much, especially when traveling with children.

To start with, two days is very little time for London. Is one of them your arrival day? If so, it's really not even worth stopping there. London is a great place for kids. I would skip either the Netherlands or Germany to spend more time in London.

In Italy, unless you can stay for at least one week, you should limit yourself to one city and some day trips. Rome would be my preference with kids. Venice would also be a possibility, but there's a lot more for kids to do in Rome.

If you insist on doing all of these cities, I would suggest starting in London, then the Netherlands, Paris, Germany, Italy, and Spain. You could also switch the Netherlands and Paris; it would depend on where in Germany you want to go.

You should fly back home from your last city. That's called an open jaws, or multi-city ticket. All the airlines and reservation sites have this option. I strongly urge you to cut out one or two of these destinations, though.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 06:36 PM

Be glad you could not take the kids on the tours. A bus tour for little ones would be simply "H_ _ _", plus Contiki is mostly for young adults with lots of partying.

A month is a very long time for a three year old to be traveling.
Rent apartments in at least a couple of places (London & Paris) and settle in a bit, with playground, parks or pool.

There is not time for everyplace you want. London and Paris take 1/3 of your time. Three more major destinations with day trips or some meandering by car would be max.

First days will be jet-lagged, and London is great for kids, so stay 5 nights (4 days).
Paris - same as London, at least 5 nights, lots to do with kids, parks, etc. do short day trips.
Eurostar between London and Paris

Amsterdam and much of the Netherlands is nice for families, and not so hot in Summer. Belgium would also be good with kids. Both have canals, windmills, etc. perhaps a week or more. Bruges is pretty and there is a beach in nearby Oostende. Quick and easy trains.

Germany, rent a car and meander, seeing tons of castles, medieval towns and rivers. Take ten days for this. Perhaps in Bavaria, stay in a couple of places for a few days for castles, boating, swimming. I have not traveled recently enough to be specific, but the weather will be good and there is lots and lots to see. Kids seem to love Germany. Well, so do adults.

Basically, with travel between, that would be all the time you have.

Other options, just IMHO.
Italy will be hot and Spain will be super hot in July.
Spain: suggest only Barcelona (parks, beaches, a bit cooler than further South) and San Sebastian, a week or more.
Italy: apartment or villa with a pool, somewhere you could rent a car and do day trips that interest you in the countryside, the lakes or Rome where you have lots for grownups to see/do and parks, etc. for the little one, keeping the heat in mind.

Use multi-city booking, fly into one city, home from another.

Use trains or planes between countries, only a car for local or countryside stay, not between countries so you do not have to make a loop or pay for drop-off in a second country from pick-up.