MUST do's in Rome and Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to Fodor's and have been reading so much the last few days that my head is spinning with all the knowledge that people are sharing and all the information available!!
I thought I would try to tap into your experiences and ask...
Can anyone give me a list of MUST do's for Rome and Venice based on 4-5 days in each city?
While you're at it, maybe you could add your list of "don't bother with..."
This is my first trip to Italy.
thanks so much!
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Rome:

Vatican Museums (1/2 day)
St Peters (1/2 day)
Coliseum and Forum (1/2 day)
Shopping (1/2 day)
Art in other churches, chosen according to your interests (1/2 day)
Wandering around, soaking up the atmosphere (1/2 day)
Seeing the famous outdoor sites - Trevi Fountain, spanish steps etc (1 day)

Then following up on whatever you've found most interesting.

Venice:
(Half the interest of Venice is wandering round appreciating the atmosphere. So none of the sites actually take as long as I've specified as I've factored in getting lost time).

Secret tour of Doges palace, followed by self-guided tour. Then visit to Basilica San Marco (1 day)
The Frari church (1/2 day)
Ca Rezzonico (1/2 day)
Visiting the Rialto fish market (1/2 day)
Guggenheim Museum (1/2 day)
Accademia (1/2 day)
General wandering (at least a 1/2 day!)

In both cities there's so much to see that 4/5 days can only scratch the surface. What you choose to do depends on your interests and how "touristy" you want to be (not that being a tourist is a bad thing!). Anyway, those are my preliminary suggestions.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

I know...so much to see and so little time! Ideally, not playing a tourist would be my choice. Wandering the streets, absorbing it all... but I do know that there are certain sites that are a must!
I would think that my interests are the same as most people who feel they must go to Rome and Venice! Art, architecture, history, culture, food, wine....
Some friends have suggested that I might want to spend more time in Rome, less in Venice. Do you agree?
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 01:20 PM

Please pick up a good guidebook and start reading. See what appeals to you and mark it down. Map out things you know you want to see so you can start getting oriented to the city even before you arrive. First step, a guidebook.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 01:25 PM

While in Venice, visit St. Marks Square in the evening after the tourist rush is over. Have a cappacino and sit and listen to the bands that perform on the square in the evenings. Most relaxing and, for me, a memorable, "magical" experience.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Sandi, the problem is that I have travel books, I have monthly Conde Nast going back... I have way too many things I want to do/see! I'm confused as to what I can pass on and what I must see/do. I know this will not be my last trip to Italy as I plan on going back within 2 years. I would love to stroll and enjoy, see as much as possible without stressing myself out! Thats why input from others is more beneficial to me than a guide book....though you are right in recommending a guide book as a starting point. It does help to get me oriented and plan my day. Papagena's itinerary is very helpful, thanks. ssbnorman...music in the square in the evening sounds delightful!
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:20 PM

"Must-do" really does depend on the individual's interests, but here's a list for Venice that might pique your interest:

Some of the sights, sites, and activities in Venice:

Piazza San Marco, Basilica San Marco, Campanile, Palace of the Doges, Grand Canal on a vaporetto, Lagoon islands: (Murano, Burano, Torcello), San Michelle, Gondola yard. The Arsenal and the Naval Museum, Correr Museum, Accademia art museum, Peggy Guggenheim Gallery, numerous art shows and exhibits that are always running, The Ghetto. Another dozen or so specialty museums (Lace museum, Archaeological musuem, etc).

Too many churches to list with interesting and world-class art and architecture, but...Basilica Santa Mariadella Salute, Basilica dei Frari, Santa Maria dei Miracoli, San Sebastiano, San Pietro di Castello, Santo Giovanni E Paolo, Madonna dell'Orto. Venice's churches have some of Italy's greatest works of art--many free to view--by the likes of Tintoretto, Veronese, Titian, Bellini, Vivarini, and Carpaccio.

Scuola Grande di San Rocco, Scuola San Giorgio degli Schiavoni, Scuola San Nicolo, Scuola Grande Dei Carmini, Scuole Grande of San Rocco.

Campo Santa Maria Formosa, Ca’ Rezzonico museum, Querini-Stampalia palace/museum, San Giovanni Evangelista, Ponte di Rialto, Rialto market, Ca’ d’Oro, Ca' Pesaro museum, gondola tour of smaller, hidden canals. Opera and concerts at La Fenice and other venues. Walking away from the daytripping herds and discovering a quiet, secret city that most tourists have no clue exists--quiet campos with perhaps a restaurant or two and a couple of shops, and neighborhood children playing or couples strolling before dinner.

And don't forget the Lido of Venice beach resort in the summer.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
In Rome, walk up the stairway/ramp designed by Michelangelo to the Campidoglo, then walk to the right of the Senate building to enjoy the view over the Forum toward the Colosseum. Then go to the left of the Senate, take the stairs down into the Forum and walk through it.

If you enjoy the thought of Rome as a city built upon layers of previous civilizations, the church of San Clemente is fascinating, with a descent into the past churches built on the same spot, culminating in a temple to Mythras on the lowest level.

On the same subterranean theme, I believe the Domus Aurea, Nero's palace, has been partially reopened after being closed to the public for a while. It is a way to gain an appreciation for the scale on which Nero conceived of and built his home, the front of which overlooked a lake which was filled in when Nero died in an attempt to obliterate all traces of his works. The palace was buried under baths, and the Colosseum was then built on the site of the lake in front of it.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Firefly...can I squeeze all that into a week and live to tell about it?
Walking away from the daytripping herds and discovering a quiet, secret city that most tourists have no clue exists--Now THAT appeals to me!!

Nikki, that sounds like a great way to spend a day.
How I wish I could stay longer!!
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:14 PM
nbujic

Six days Rome, 4 days Venice

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

I've heard so many wonderful things about Venice, but I have also been told that I will need more time for Rome and that I should spend the majority of my time in Rome. Would 3 days in Venice be rushing it too much? I could then spend a week in Rome....
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:31 PM

In both cities - eat as much gelato as you possibly can.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:42 PM

Wow! You are very lucky to get this kind of advice.

Venitian Man gave you some very good suggestions! But, I would rather stay in Venice proper.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:48 PM

Someone may have recommended the following attractions already, so I apologize for breazing through the answers, but here are what I have not yet noticed:

1.Rome - do visit Borghese Gallery. Make your reservations on-line (please 'google' the site) for an alloted two-hour visit. Absolutely wonderful!

2. Venice - make a point of visiting the Rialto food/fish/vegetable markets in the morning hours (not Sunday or Monday). Fabulous strolling and photo apportunities.

Anna Roz
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:50 PM

What is this secret tour of Doges?

Is this a specific guide?
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Gelato for sure!!

Anna, you answered one of my questions...thanks! Do you know if I can reserve tickets for specific times online for other museums as well?
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Also, has anyone used the Rome archaeological pass? It's supposed to give you access to 9 sites and no lines!! Not sure that I'm interested in all 9 sites they have listed but the no line part appeals to me!!
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:49 PM

I believe that you cannot reserve a specific timeslot for, say, a tour of the Vatican Museum but, while we are on the subject, I would highly-very highly recommend that you sign up for a Rome Walks (google the name) tour of that venue and you will not be disappointed. No offense, but unless you are an art historian, how would you be able to get a true benefit out of such a tremendous amount of art goodness on your own?

With regard to the Secret Itinerary tour of the Doge's Palace, it is an approximately one-hour guided tour of an otherwise unaccessible areas of the Palace and its torture chambers. I did not find it incredibly worth-while as a tour, but do remember that your addmission to the tour also provides for an entry to the Dodge's Palace itself, which you can tour after your Secret Itinerary tour, so it is o.k. in a way. Nothing special, IMO.

A must see/do in Venice (IMO) would be to have a drink/lunch/coffee and dessert at either the Florian or Quadri Cafes in St. Mark's Square. Just go for it! It is expensive, but you took the time to fly half-way around the world, so why not treat yourself to an amazing experience.

Anna Roz
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:55 PM

Hi

My wife and I went to Rome a couple of years back and I have made a summary in a trip report with pictures http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm . I have also made an interactive Google map of Rome on this page http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy_map.htm . This shows you where the attractions are located and you can press the different markers to get some more information

We also went to Venice a few years back and here is a similar trip report: http://gardkarlsen.com/italy_venice.htm . Have a great trip

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 09:08 PM

I was going to post about the Borghese Gallery also. And if you have time do take some quiet time to enjoy the Borghese Gardens. Sunday is a lovely time to visit and walk around.

I have not read every post so perhaps it has already been mentioned but the Jewish Ghetto in Venice is a location you would enjoy I believe. And I love to stroll around the San Palo area of Venice also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -