meeting friends at Musee D'Orsay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be meeting friends at the Musee D'Orsay.
Is there more than one entrance? If so what is a good meeting spot?
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 10:35 AM

Right in the beginning of the musee there is a lion statue - I would recommend there.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 10:42 AM

I agree. The statue is obvious and, if I recall correctly, highly visible.
I suggest you get there early if you don't have tickets. The line moves along fairly well, but we started out one Sunday full of intentions to be there before the doors opened.

We got sidetracked by the market along Blvd Raspail and ended up two hours behind schedule. We stood in line, but we got in fairly soon thereafter.

I do think one of those museum passes is more than worth what you pay for it. The convenience of using it is great if you are seeing many museums.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the quick replys. The Lion statue it is then.
This site is the best! I have gotten so many suggestions for this trip from here.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 10:53 AM

I believe there's only one entrance, a suggestion, why don't you just plan on meeting for lunch in the restaurant on the top floor, which is absolutely magnificent. That way you don't have to waste time waiting for people outside. If you're like me, when I get somewhere, I want to go, go, go. Hate waiting around. At least if you plan to meet for lunch you can tour the first few floors, then meet at a set time.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 11:05 AM

There are actually two ways to enter--the entrance and the gift shop. If you have museum passes you might want to meet in the gift shop.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 11:06 AM

If you have a museum pass, you don't go through the main entrance -- you go in to the gift shop (there's a door on the street) and enter the museum through the gift shop. (There is someone there to make sure you have the pass, or you'll be sent back out to stand in line.)
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 11:18 AM

The lion sounds like a good place to meet. As stated above, you can go in via the gift shop with your museum pass. You can also go in the "main" door with your pass - just walk to the head of the line, show your pass to the guard and you'll go right in. Have a great time!
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 11:29 AM

Even with the pass in April we had to stand in line at the gift shop entrance for the security check. It was nowhere as long as those waiting to buy tickets, but it did not get us RIGHT in the door--I would say about 20 minutes or so.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 01:26 PM

We didn't buy the museum passes and were able to walk right in at the Orsay just three weeks ago, at about 2:00 in the afternoon. Maybe just luck!
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 02:19 PM

The day went last October the line at the main entrance was very long. We went to the front, showed our pass, the guard pointed to the security line (Ahead of the big line), and I think we were in the museum in less than 5 minutes. You jump the waiting line, but not the security line.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 02:39 PM
dln

We had the same experience as Underhill--arrived at the Museum in the early afternoon and walked in (no museum pass). Meeting at the statue is a great idea, but if it's raining you might want to be inside. The lobby just past the security gates, where the tickets are sold, is a good place to meet. It's not so large that you wouldn't spot each other.

Old Oct 9th, 2004, 12:51 PM

I would suggest meeting inside, if for nothing else than having access to the bathrooms.

There is a visitor information counter infront of both the main and gift shop entrances, which would be a good place to meet. When they organize tours, they have the people meet there.