Reload this Page >

Meeting the Locals

Search

Meeting the Locals

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Faye

Meeting the Locals

Do any of you know of an organization that supports meeting locals in Italy? I would love to meet some people or families and learn more about their culture, on a personal level. I have seen all the museums and art and now want to see how the people live today. Any ideas?

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 03:50 PM
Curious

Yes, someone please answer. I would like to know also.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Escritora

It's not specific to Italy, but Servas (affiliated with the UN and founded 50+ years ago to promote peace) gives travelers around the world a chance to meet. Members can host travelers in their homes or just meet for dinner, a day of sightseeing, or whatever. The URL is www.servas.org. There is a screening and approval process for participation.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 10:03 PM
D.

I live in southern italy and have noticed after two years that in general italians aren't big on "formal" meetings, my best advice for seeing how the locals live is to strike up some conversation, italians are usually very friendly and use meal times as their big social gatherings, of course if you do not speak the language this could prove to be an obstacle..

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 12:55 AM
frank

Get a train, talk to the person opposite.