Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for Robespierre's London Bus Tours.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read where Robespierre has posted some bus routes so you can see all of London on public transportation rather than spending the high prices of the Big Bus or other similar buses. I've spent the last 15 minutes searching for that post and cannot find it. Can anyone help me. I leave on Wednesday for my 5th trip and still have not used the bus system that much. I just have not got the hang of figuring out the maps. Thanks a bunch to anyone who can help.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 07:48 PM

You can enter Robespierre in the search block and find it with a bit of looking, or go directly to one I found useful, "7 hours in London" posted earlier this month. He was very helpful there, on this very subject.

Have a great trip. We'll be in London the first week in April.

Jim
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 07:54 PM

This one?

http://tinyurl.com/pmn8q
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 09:22 PM

Start on Oxford Street and get on the #15 bus which travels to Oxford Circus, turns left up Regents Street through Picadilly Circus, turns left down Haymarket past the theatre where Phantom of the Opera is playing into and through Trafalger Square down the Strand past the City, St. Paul's, monument to the Tower of London, almost the exact same route the big bus follows (no commentary of course)....or get on the number 12 at Oxford Circus, follow the same route to Trafalgar Square and turn the other way and go up Whitehall to Parliament Square turn left cross Westminster Bridge by the aquarium and the London eye all the way past the Imperial War Museum near Elephant & Castle, another route the tour bus follows...from Marble Arch you can take the 148 bus, another of my favorites towards Hyde Park Corner and then to Victoria up Victoria Street towards Parliament and link up with the same route as the #12...all these are the touristy areas...a lot of fun to do with a bus pass (£3.50 for a day) or a 1 day travelcard (£4.90 off peak [after 0930 on weekdays] or with an oyster card £4.40)...no commentary of course but lots of locals to rub shoulders with...I have spent literally hours sitting on the top deck of a London bus (sorry not the #12 anymore) taking pictures of street scenes and learning so much as to where so many things are located and the nice thing, if you see something interesting, simply get off the bus or if the bus makes a turn away from something interesting, get off the bus and walk back a couple of blocks)....during the day traffic congestion slows them down a bit but a great way to race through the city after dark and do your own London by Night thing.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 04:24 AM

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tourist_map.shtml
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 06:00 AM

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/tourist.pdf
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 07:42 AM

ttt for future reference.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jim, Robespierre,xyz123 & Patrick. Exactly what I was looking for. I will save a bundle. In 4 trips to London I have taken the Big Bus 6 times. Mostly because I love riding up there on the top watching the world go by I have their comentary memorized, so I can probably conjure it up somehow.

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Robespierre---
Just checked out the links you provided. Thank you so much!!! It is presented in such a user friendly manner and will be so helpful. I appreciate your assistance.

Thanks!
Sus
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 03:27 PM

You're welcome, Friendly User.