London's 70 best unsung museums

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alongside the V&A, Science, Natural History and British Museums, the capital has a host of smaller, lesser-known collections. Here's our guide to London's best secret museums

http://www.timeout.com/london/museum...es/1496/1.html
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 10:12 PM

Royal "we"?

Or just a wannabe Thatcher?
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 02:34 AM

Copy-and-paste-itis, I suspect (easily done), but a handy reference, all the same.

Except for the Bramah museum, TO's link to which doesn't work, and which I believe is currently closed.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 05:13 AM

I would like to go to the Charles Dickens and Benjamin Franklin homes. Thanks for the list BTW.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 05:23 AM

The Clink Prison is IMHO the biggest rip-off in London (and that is a very competitive competition). It's just a couple of rooms with tailors manequins dressed in stripey pyjamas.

It takes 10 minutes to see and they charge the earth for it.

I also don't get the Horniman Museum - it's just stuffed critters. Nice gardens though - but not worth trekking out to Forest Hill for.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 06:27 AM
yk

Thanks for posting the link, alanRow. It's a handy list for folks who have already been to the "biggies" in London.

The Museum and Library of the Order of St John and the North Woolwich Old Station Museum seem intriguing. Has anyone been? I need to go visit the Museum of Docklands and Museum of London (when it's done renovating).

I had thought about going to Ben Franklin House, then I read that someone here had gone, and didn't think it was worth the admission fee. And I thought the Sherlock Holmes Museum is a rip-off?

I read that the Horniman Museum is housed in an Art Deco building which is worth seeing?

The Leighton House is currently closed for renovation until end of 2009.

Of the 70 museums listed, I have been to 7 so far. I just wish more of them could be free, although I understand it costs a lot to run and maintain a museum. I wonder why Saatchi Gallery and William Morris Gallery are not listed? I suppose they are not considered as museums?
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 07:26 AM

"Museum" is a pretty elastic term. I have passed through North Woolwich station, and from memory there's a room or so of local railway memorabilia and photographs. Very much in the amateur/local style. But you could combine it with a trip on the Woolwich ferry to the pulsating nightlife of downtown Woolwich (where the glittering lights are ever-changing, from green to amber to red, to red-and-amber....).

Whereas, say, the Museum of Docklands is a big professional operation (well, fairly, I never seem to be able to get their electronic display panels to work properly, and their Victorian print of the place I live in is back to front).
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 08:18 AM

I thought the Bank of England Museum was boring, but then money has never played a large part in my life (unfortunately).