Luxembourg, Amsterdam, Brugges

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2015, 03:07 PM
krm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luxembourg, Amsterdam, Brugges

Hi all,
My husband and I are planning to visit my son this fall while he is studying in Luxembourg. I read another forum post and responses by jlschweg that looks like an itinerary we might want to follow.
We would have 7-9 days max. We would fly into Brussels then go to Lux to see my son and have him show us around-how much time do we need in Lux? Is one overnight and the following day enough?
From Lux we're interested in Brugges, Amsterdam and possibly Trier.
Is a short river cruise an option, and if so, where should we do it?
Lastly, I would like some suggestions on extraordinary hotels in some of these places.
I'd like to splurge a few nights and stay in some fabulous places.
Thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 03:17 PM

Luxembourg City (the capitol and main city in the country of Lusembourg) was not particularly appealing to me - I spent a night there. Not a bad city, just not my favorite city to visit. However, the little towns in the Luxembourg countryside were really nice. I didn't have great weather when I was there, but I always thought a future driving trip back to the towns and the countryside would be fun. (I did my travel by bus and train - convenient enough.)

I also took a bus out to the American Cemetery in Hamm near Luxembourg City - really nice. A lot of American soldiers killed at the Battle of the Bulge are buried there. General George Patton (who participated in the battle but was killed in Europe after the war) is also buried there.

I visited Brussels and Bruges (or Brugge) on the same trip, by train. You can read my 2013 trip report / see many pictures by clicking on my name above.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 10:05 AM
krm
Original Poster

Thank you! Will look at your trip report. I'm hoping by the time we get to Lux my son will be familiar enough with the city to take us to some great places in the area.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 10:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think Lux might need 2 whole days, the countryside is ok and certainly as you head towards the Mosel gets pretty.

Trier is a fine city (was the capital of the Roman empire for a bit) with a load of Roman parts, some baroque and the birth town of Karl Marx (a lesser known brother of Harpo).

I really like Trier, I stay in Olewige at the very Posh Becker's which is very modern and a fine breakfast room. On the same road is a Brasserie with good dining and nice rooms as well and the beer does not have far to travel. There is also a fine hotel to the north of Trier looking down on the city from a cliff, I forget the name and how much it is but I assume it will be pretty grand. Trip advisor will help.
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 06:38 AM

Are you going by car or the dense train system on Benelux?

Amsterdam and Bruges would be the places I would dwell on and which will fulfill any romantic of a beautiful Europe you have - Trier and Luxembourg are fine but not that 'cute' as cities though Luxembourg is a gorgeous city as a deep gorge bisects it, making it one of the most physically goregous cities in Europe but apart from look and a tour thru its casements - ancient tunnel carved into the cliffs for military purposes that you can now tour - not much else IMO of going there for business for nearly 15 years annually.

If going by train I'd give some more info.