should I go to Vesuvius?

Search

should I go to Vesuvius?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should I go to Vesuvius?

we are staying for 9 nights on the Amalfi Coast based mostly in Positano. Planning on spending time at Pompeii and Heraculum. Is it worth the extra time and money to go to the summit of Vesuvius? has anyone done the hike to the top? thanks!
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 08:37 PM

I hiked it with my husband and several of my teen-aged students. We walked all around the rim. My DH and some of the students loved it. My DH was a geography major. He really felt the connection to Pompeii there. To me, it is just a gigantic black hole made of crumbly ash and with some steam coming out. If we ever make it to Sicily, he plans to go up Mt Etna also. Peering into one black hole in the ground was enough for me. I plan to settle somewhere and paint. So....two very different reactions to the experience.

I'm looking forward to hearing other's opinions.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 09:50 PM

I went to Vesuvius with my husband and my three teenage kids. We caght the bus from Pompeii. It was a weird experience - the bus stops at a little shack where you are subjected to a strange talk about the mn who used to run the old chairlift up the mountain. Anyway we finally got up to the top nd we walked up to the top and around the rim. I am glad to have gone here but I don't think I would bother doing it again. The rest of the family loved it.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 11:00 PM

Actually, it is not really a hike, more a walk. You drive up to the parking lot which is pretty close to the summit. It takes 25 min to reach the crater, and the path is broad and comfortable. There are even little carts which bring you up (for an extra fee). Otherwise, the entrance fee is 6 Euros.

On the summit, the path circles around the crater, so you have ample opportunity to look into the abyss from various perspectives. It is quite impressing, since you will notice steam emerging from the ground.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:56 AM

This may be too late for you, but I would add that the view from the top is incredible, because you see the whole Gulf of Naples laid out below and I am pretty sure you can see old extinct craters in teh Campi Phlegrei, such as Averno and Vivara which is attached to Procida. You really get the sense of being in a volcanic region. I would also recommend a trip to Pozzuoli too and Solfatara if it is accessible.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:38 AM

We took a bus to the parking lot about halfway up then hiked. By the time we got to the top is was in the clouds and we couldn't see the crater. I loved the fact though of just knowing where I was. Be sure and take a coat because it dropped about 30 degrees from the bus to the top.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:09 AM

We did Vesuvius, Pompeii and Herculaneum. I would not have missed Vesuvius for anything. I hope you go up.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the feedback! its not too late I'm not going until September..... there are so many things we want to see and do its so hard to narrow it down. It seems like going to Vesuvius would be a good idea. I mean really when else in life do you get to experience something like that. I think I'd prefer it to say walking around a museum. Still in the planning stages and will definitely see about finding time to add in Vesuvius. thanks so much!