Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lily's next draft of very pared down trip in Germany, Amsterdam and Brugge.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yet another draft itinerary for trip to Amsterdam/Brugge/Germany. I have pared it down to fewer destinations and less driving. How does it sound? We have to fly in and out of same location and will be renting a car. Amsterdam and Brugge must be included. Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated as always.

Friday - arrive Frankfurt around noon, rent car, drive to Rothenburg
Saturday - Rothenburg
Sunday - drive Romantic Road to Munich
Monday - Munich
Tuesday - Munich with daytrip to Fussen for tour of castles
Wednesday - Munich
Thusday - drive to Brugge
Friday - Brugge
Saturday - drive to Amsterdam
Sunday - Amsterdam
Monday - Amsterdam
Tuesday - Amsterdam
Wednesday - drive to Cochem
Thursday - Cochem with daytrip to Burg Eltz
Friday - Cochem with Mosel area touring
Saturday - Cochem with daytrip to Rhine
Sunday - drive to Frankfurt for flight Monday
Monday - flight home
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 11:19 AM

Have you checked out the distances for your itinerary on viamichelin? Do you realize that it is at least an 8 hour drive to Brugge from Munich? I would drop a day from Amsterdam (not one of my personal favorites anyway) and at least overnight somewhere half way between Munich and Brugge.

Actually, if this were my trip, which I know it isn't, I'd go to Brugge and Amsterdam first, then to Cochem, Munich and Rothenburg.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Acutally I was thinking of changing the order and flying into Amsterdam instead and starting the trip there going to Brugge then on to Cochem, Munich and Rothenburg as you suggested. Seems to make more sense. Yes, I realized the drive from Munich to Brugge is long so if I did it the other way around it would be less driving in one go like that.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

And bettyk, what makes Amsterdam not one of your favourites?
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 04:57 PM

While there is much to recommend Amsterdam (we enjoyed the Rijksmuseum very much), there is a seedy side to it that I find distracting.

Also, having been to many of the big European cities, I now enjoy the smaller villages and countryside more.

I know many will disagree with me and that's OK. Travel is a personal thing so if you want to see Amsterdam, I definitely think you should.

P.S. We really enjoyed the Mosel towns of Beilstein and Cochem and Burg Eltz was amazing. Rothenburg is also a lovely town once you get off the main square and away from a lot of the tourists. That's why it's great to stay overnight in Rothenburg; it's wonderful after all the buses leave.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 04:21 AM

As much as I love Switzerland, it looks like you're slowing down and are going with your priorities. Like the previous poster, I'd look at a map and select a stop between Munich and Brugge. J.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks bettyk and jmw44. I also like the countryside and I'm hoping this itinerary is a blend of both bettyk. And yes jmw44, I've had to leave out Switzerland as much as I had wanted to go as it was just too much driving and overall too hectic. If I turn this itinerary around to start and end in Amsterdam it would look like this:
Friday - arrive Amsterdam for 4 nights including daytrip to open air museum and bike touring
Tuesday - drive to Brugge (2.5 hours)
Wednesday - tour Brugge
Thursday - drive to Cochem for 4 nights (4 hours) with daytrips to Burg Eltz, Bleinstein, Rhine Cruise
Monday - drive to Munich for 4 nights (5 hours) with daytrips to Fussen and possibly Halstatt
Friday - drive the Romantic Road to Rothenburg (2 hours plus stops) for 2 nights
Sunday - drive to Amsterdam (5 hours)
Monday - depart for home
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 10:58 AM

Looks good to me. Please return with a trip report. J.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 12:45 PM

Much better. If you feel you can spare the time, stop at Dinkelsbuhl for a few photos on your way to Rothenburg. Also, I'd definitely include a visit to Hallstatt, even an overnight if possible. It's one of my FAVORITE places in Europe. And, if you do go, try to go by way of Wolfgangsee. It's a breathtaking drive.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 09:18 AM

Lily -- are you staying overnight in Brugge? May I ask if you've booked a hotel yet, and, if yes, which one? I'm looking at several -- but my criteria is walking distance from train station, and I know you'll be driving.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 09:30 AM

Lily,
f you can change from flying in and out of Frankfurt you might consider flying into Amsterdam and out of Munich.

Just looking at the map the Black Forest area is about midway between Brugge and Munich. I would make a nice place to stop over for the night. You could then drive to Fussen to see the castles on your way to Munich. Baden-Baden or Heidelburg would also be options between Brugge and Munich.

To complicate things further the intereuropean flights are pretty cheap and you might look at flying between the two places.

What time of year are your traveling?
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Yes, if Amsterdam is a must, then try to fly into Amsterdam and out of Munich. No need to schlep all the way back across Europe just to get to the airport in Amsterdam. How about - Amsterdam, Brugge, Mosel / Rhine Valleys, Rothenburg, Fuessen, Hallstatt, Munich?
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 08:57 AM

We went from Amsterdam to Munich (we skipped the Brussels part last time, going back in 8 weeks)and took the train (which was quite nice, you leave early, but you are in Munich by early afternoon with only one change.)
Don't miss Burg Eltz, and we stayed in Beilstein-- very quaint. And if you are going to go to Rothenburg, spend that night-- the highlight of the visit is the Night Watchman's tour.
Also, in Germany, if you are driving, allow yourself some extra time-- we ran into several construction areas which slowed us down on the Romantic Road, and though we are fairly experienced drivers in Europe and speak/read some German, we found the signage to be somewhat confusing and made several wrong turns along the way.
I don't have my itinerary with me, but if you want, let me know and I can try to locate the thing......
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Much appreciate the feedback. We can't do open jaws so will be flying in and out of Amsterdam. I think we'll be going with this itinerary now so I can book airfare today and get going on booking hotels. And travlsolo2, I'm looking at booking the Hotel Egmond or Adornes Hotel in Brugge - both well reviewed on tripadvisor and this site. Both 120 Euros for late May and breakfast included but parking is not free at Egmont and it is at Adornes.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 10:55 AM

The Hotel Adornes looks nice -- just checked it, and it says free bikes to use, too!
I'll likely stay a little closer to the train station because I'll be walking.
I don't know where you're flying from, but check out Delta flights. I got decent airfare May 17-June 7.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 11:33 AM

I would spend 3 nights in Munich and free one more night and try to stay near Garmisch-partikirchen for 2 nights. You could tour the castles on the way there from Munich. Rothenburg is fairly small and you could easily see it in an afternoon and evening too.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

I was also thinking of taking one night from Cochem (actually thinking of staying in Bleinstein) and adding it to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and if I shortened Rothenburg to one night then my itinerary would look like:
Fri to Sunday the same as before.
Sunday - drive to Munich for 4 nights including daytrip to Halstatt
Thursday - drive to Garmisch-Partenkirchen for 2 nights
Saturday - drive the Romantic Road to Rothenburg and stay 1 night
Sunday - return to Amsterdam
Monday - depart for home
What do you think?
travlsolo2, Looks like we'll be flying Air Canada from Ottawa at price of $1788. for two with transfer in London including all fees and taxes. And I like the free bikes at Adornes!
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 05:35 PM

Lily,
Whatever time you spend in the alps there will be lots to see and do.

Sort of in an East to West order you can go to Bertschesgaden, Mittenwald (violin maker's village 10 miles from Garmish), Garmish, Ettal Monastary, Linderhoff, Oberammergau, Wiese Kirche, Fussen (Neuschwanstein).

You should have a wonderful time.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 08:08 AM

We stayed at the Absoluut Verhulst bed and breakfast last July. The hosts are fabulous, great breakfast, well-located, reasonable price---80 euro. The taxi from the station to the b&b was 10 euro. We loved it and it is highly recommended on Tripadvisor as well.
http://www.b-bverhulst.com/
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

I was also considering that B and B wren, thanks for the recommendation. And thanks again everyone for your feedback and recommendations. I have yet another itinerary for your review if you can stand it. Here goes:
Friday - arrive Amsterdam and stay 4 nights
Tuesday - rent car and drive to Brugge for 1 night (2.5 hours driving) arriving about 10:00 am for day of touring
Wednesday - drive to Cochem for 3 nights (4 hours driving)
Saturday - drive to Munich for 4 nights (5 hours driving)
Wednesday - drive to Halstatt for 2 nights (2 hours driving)
Friday - drive to Rothenburg for 2 nights (via Romantic Road 4 hours plus)
Sunday - drive to Amsterdam for 1 night (5 hours driving)
Monday - depart for home