One blissful week alone in Paris...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and my heart is already aching to return. I'm having a more difficult time than usual returning to "real life." Who wants to do laundry and grocery shopping when I could be aimlessly wandering the streets of Paris?

Since I did not journal my entire trip, I am having a bit of trouble organizing my thoughts. But I do wish to share some high points with you, who always share so much with me.

I thoroughly enjoyed my 6 nights at Le Regent, 61 rue Dauphine, in the 6th. This 25 room hotel is charming and quaint, with a superb staff. The location is convenient, if a bit loud, but dual paned windows drown out the nighttime rowdies. Very comfortable, well appointed and fairly priced, I recommend this properly highly. As a single woman traveling alone, I felt entirely comfortable in this hotel. Thanks for the recommendation, Patrick!

The weather treated me well. I was scared from the stories I've heard of Paris in August. But, I had only one day of temps in the high 90's, and one day of on and off rain. Otherwise, temps each day were in the high 70's to low 80's, and evenings were most pleasant, in the low 60's to high 50's. Perfect walking weather.

As for walking, I think I averaged 10 - 12 miles a day! Since I was alone, I had noone to cater to, but me! It was amazingly indulgent and I will gather my thoughts to share it with you. A bientot!

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:16 PM

Glad to hear that you liked LeRegent. I've recommended it so often and for so long, I'm not sure -- especially since I've now been staying in apartments for the past few years.

Is the elevator work completed? Does it now come down to the lobby level, or do you have to walk up some steps to get to it? At least that's what I assumed they were working on.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Well, the elevator work has not yet begun! But, since I booked a rate at a 40% discount because they planned to do the work during my stay, I didn't use the elevator at all! No big deal, as I was on the second floor. The property is well maintained and comfortable, and the staff is exceptional. Once again, my thanks.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:28 PM

Iregeo, you had better weather than our trip in early July! If I remember correctly, this was your first solo trip to Paris? I look forward to hearing more -- I can relate to anyone who aches to return to Paris! Do tell...
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

mvor, this was my first solo trip anywhere, and I'm hooked on solo, much to my husband's dismay! I promise to tell all...well, almost all!
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:36 PM

Welcome back. I am planning my first solo trip to France. I can’t wait to read your trip report.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Crikey! Let the report begin -- well, as much "reporting" as you're willing to tell!
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:45 PM

I had a solo trip there in July, landing there the day of the London bombings and having to go north to a conference in London the next day. Was very glad to come back to Paris after the conference, and walked and walked and walked on my own schedule too! I stayed a half block from Musee D'Orsay (Libertel Bellechasse) and other than an overnight to Mont St. Michel I was just kicking around town -- walking but also taking the boatrides up and down the river. GREAT time.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:59 PM

Hello Irego, with the summer I have had and am having I am envious!!

Tell me, do you speak French? I don't and consequently going to Paris has always overwhelmed me.

I am looking forward to your trip report. I am so glad you had a blissful week. And there is a big difference between being alone and being lonely isn't there? Take care, and get that laundry done, LOL.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi LoveItaly. I am not privy to what ails you this summer, but I do wish you well.

I took french in high school and college about 300 years ago, but I'm pleased at what comes back when I try to use it. I am disappointed, however, because my goal for this trip was to attempt to converse primarily in french. I always made my pitiful effort and I was shocked at the amount of Parisiens who were conversant in English. I do believe they appreciate the effort, but I was greatful to be able to fall back on my mother tongue. There was one embarrasing moment, in a cafe near my hotel, when I sat next to a Parisien man with whom I struck up a conversation. While I was speaking in french of the things I "loved", I was using the phrase "je t'aime." After a while, he corrected me ("J'aime v. je t'aime",) saying maybe after a while... When I realized my error, I finished my drink and ran away, red faced!

I would never discourage you from visiting Paris for lack of french language skills. Like elsewhere, if you try to communicate basically in their native language, they will often switch to yours.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 08:51 PM

Hi Irego, oh this summer has been full of stressful calamities one after another, most real serious so I am feel soooo stressed and utterly tired, both mentally and physically.

The thought of being "somewhere" where noone can contact me, having a whole new enviroment, a beautiful city such as Paris sounds so appealing. I saw the title to your thread and I thought "that would work for me" except it is absolutely not possible for me this year.

I speak some pathetic Italian. Somehow when I am in Italy I can converse, it always seems a miracle to me, LOL. I did understand Italian when I was little. And have heard it all my life. Sometimes word pop out of my mouth and it surprises me! Guess our brain in like a computer. I took two years of Spanish but hardly remember it. Have never had as much as a one day class in French. My late DH spoke a little with what I called a nasal sound (hope I am not offending anyone with that description, hope you know what I mean). Foreign languages are not my forte.

I so want to go to Paris but guess I am timid to go on my own only because of the language problem. Travelling on my own is not a problem....just the language problem. Your story, I "think" I understand it. But see how I do not know the French language at all, even the basic. Best wishes.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 09:11 PM

LoveItaly, I've gone to Paris several times now and have even been there by myself for a whole week as well. But the only language I know is English! Don't be intimidated. I have the best time every time I am there, and there is no shortage of people who can help you in English. to be safe, though, I do carry an English-French dictionary with me. In fact, on my last trip there, a Canadian French couple sitting next to me at L'Auberge de Champ de Mars asked, "So, why don't you just learn the language and move here, already?" (Then there was the time in Venice when a German tourist asked me--in German--how to catch the waterbus and somehow we made ourselves clear.) Language is not a barrier as long as you are friendly and open to the adventure.

Iregeo, your trip sounds wonderful. Can I ask how much the hotel was? What was the best part of this trip for you?
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 09:33 PM

Iregeo, welcome to the club. Every time we leave Paris, I am so "homesick" to be back there, it does take a while to adjust..planning the next trip does help
LoveItaly, my daughter has gone to Belgium twice alone and rented a car, without being able to speak the language...it is amazing how many people speak English and how one can get along with sign language LOL
Paris would suit you, I am so sure of that!
Bighugs.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 10:09 PM

Hi darlin Scarlett, a big hug back and you have mail!!!

MelissaH, I read your post and thank you for your encourgement. I finally figured out what "my" problem is.

Italian, I know the rhythm and sound of the language. And even though my Italian is pathetic I understood Italian when I was little as well as I understood English. German, it does not intimidate me. My grandfather was from Ulm, Germany, I understood some Germany growing up.

But I have never been around French speaking people. I do not know the "sound" of the language, I do not know their customs, I know nothing about the French. I tried to get my late DH to go to France, but even though he was part French he was not willing too. And I guess I always, until I came onto Fodor's, heard how cold the French were to the Americans and anyone that did not speak proper French. Of course now I know that is not true.

Well, for the rest of this year I cannot go to Europe. But I must say, Iregeo's "One blissful week alone in Paris" sounds delightful. Best wishes to all.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 01:45 AM

I have been traveling "solo" for many years..all over western Europe. A few wrong roads, but that all goes with it! There can be much to say for being able to do it all "your way"! As to language, most places will listen to your limited use of their language and will speak english much better than you speak whatever!! Always able to find a way to communicate.

I will be off to France in a couple weeks.....a bientot.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 03:16 AM
ira

Hi I,

>After a while, he corrected me ("J'aime v. je t'aime",) saying maybe after a while... When I realized my error, I finished my drink and ran away, red faced!<

Oh, beautiful!!

Old Aug 25th, 2005, 04:17 AM

Iregeo!!! Isn't it a marvelous experience? I think particularly Paris. The freedom, the indulgence, to be able to sate the spirit with whatever it is YOUR spirit needs ... the architecture, the rich and varied history, the food, wine, the joie de vivre, the clothing; stores of old beautiful musical instruments(!); street artists, BOOKS, old magazines, photographs; cafes, bistros...on and on, my curiosities were fulfilled.
I don't know, but I came back from my solo jaunt... a better human being.
I wonder, if in the back of your mind you're not thinking ... "mmmm... where can I go next?"
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 06:20 AM

Iregeo, thanks for sharing. As has mentioned Paris really is one city that is great to experience solo. There are so many things to see and experience that one can never get bored. Walking, wandering are just amazing. I never get tired of the sights. As to the language, learning basic phrases are helpful. However, many locals speak fluent English so language is really not too much of a problem as it is in small French cities and towns.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Bonsoir mes amis.

My third day back into real life. To ease the ache a bit, I took a trip to my local L'Occitane and purchased the soaps and lotions that I used while in Paris. Scent can evoke such strong memories. This scent will forever remind me of Paris, my trip, that room...

MelissaHI -- I got a great deal on my room at Le Regent. Their deluxe rooms usually go for 200E, and in late July through August, they reduce it to 160E. I got it for 120E/night because I booked when they intended to do elevator renovations. However, they changed their schedule but agreed to honor the rate. I really liked this hotel. The price was an added bonus.

My favorite part of the trip? Sometimes I need to savor the memories for a while and see where each one settles in my consciousness to determine my favorites. Off the top of my head, I'd say my favorite part was visiting and strolling through the different parks. That, and the amazing sense of freedom to explore a beautiful, romantic city on my own. I think Paris is incredibly romantic, even if you're alone. No wisecracks!

To me, Parisien parks hold some sort of magic; far different than the parks I've visited elsewhere. The gardens, the children, I just can't put it into words. They just do it for me! On this trip, my 4th to Paris, the parks I visited were Le Place des Vosges, Le Jardins du Luxembourg, Le Parc des Buttes Chamount, Parc Monceau, and several other small "neighborhood" parks that Michael Osman took me to.

I'm still organizing my thoughts, and promise to continue soon.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 05:18 PM

LoveItaly - Don't let the language barrier stop you from going to Paris. All three times I have gone solo and loved it and I speak just a little conversational French. My first trip I didn't and still got by with no trouble at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -